Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UltraViolet Digital Movie/Media

Default UltraViolet Digital Movie/Media

Does anyone out there use UltraViolet Digital Movies? is it any good?

I do not know enough about this and it seems more and more Movies and TV Shows are getting released with UV Digital Download, and i find this an actual deterrent for purchasing movies

There seems to be multiple options for setting up your library as well and don’t seem to be able to find much info without having to join up to places like these:

jb hi-fi Video
    EzyFLIX
    Sony
    Flixter

There seems to be a Disc to Digital option on the UV site where you can "transfer" your physical movies to the UV library but I don’t know if this is a good thing or not.

i have an iPad, and my house is set up with apple TV and networked to my computer by cable. Currently I have 35 movies on my iPad, which may seem excessive but gives me options other then three which some UV players only seem to hold. and then most movies seem to be streamed via the cloud as well rather then having a physical copy of the digital media locally,

in the end i find UV pretty useless for me but I don’t know enough about it but I have all these codes for recent movies I don’t know what to do with, and have not purchased about 20 more as I am not sure if it is worth travelling down the UV Path.

I honestly believe Movies should be a Purchase once and you get all forms of the media, Bluray/DVD/Digital but they should give you a choice on what media you want it.

Any Advice or Opinion is always appreciated.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

I loathe it. Much prefer being able to redeem iTunes or Google Play digital copies.

I redeem the codes, but the only time I've used it was when I wanted to watch the new Veronica Mars movie on a flight. I loaded it up the night before.

Despite being on an iPad 4, the app only allowed an SD copy of the film.

I'll never spend a cent on UV.

It's crap, I first came across it when it first came out here. It only allowed one download to your pc, didn't work with apple products.

I've stayed away from it after that.
    Incoming:
    Preordered:
    Recent Buys:

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post
    load of Bartrim manure
    Welcome to Grantmart!:
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...1496#post61496

Interesting stuff. Always wondered what this 'UltraViolet' thing was all about but never bothered researching it myself. Thanks for the educational post Sharky
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

i wouldnt say my post was educational its more of a rant,

i find this UV is the most usless thing. different accounts or media players and it appears to be too controlling in the way it seems they dont want you to actually own the digital content.

and with more and more releases coming with it UV rather then apple codes (seems only disney is doing that these days which included marvel movies) has me baffled (unless they know people wont use them)

they might as well remove them from the videos and make them cheaper.

or atleast give you an avenue to trade them in for codes that suit you digital preferences.
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

they've been selling digital versions of movies with a code to download in the DVD case for years.
    it's been different sources, limited access, many of them were unavailable only a few months after the DVD was released so if you got something for Christmas and tried to download the digital version a month or two later, too bad, no longer a valid code. Often they have a limited usability as well, only copyable 3to 5 times, and only a specific format, if you don't like it tough.
    I have never put much stock in the digital versions for that very reason. I don't think I even have an iTunes account.

I honestly thought the UV edition was just a marketing method of making that more attractive and standardising it a bit. I haven't looked into it, it's too hard, I can't understand why they don't just provide a disk with several different versions of the movie as a copyable file. I get that it's harder for them to control but at the moment it's too hard to bother with. If I'm going to get a digital version of a movie or tv series I have on disk, I'll just torrent it and put it where I want how I want. I don't see it as stealing if I've already paid for the hard copy.

the UV label gives them an excuse to charge more for something that isn't even in the box, that's why they are doing it more profit.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

As far I can tell it's not about charging more, I have not seen a single Ultraviolet release that costs more than a regular release that doesn't include it.

As far as I can tell it's just a branding thing to say "you get a digitial copy" and then putting a DRM control system in place (the app, software) to stop you giving it to all your friends.

Nearly every release seems to have this on it now, with that ugly purple strip, but new releases continue to get cheaper so it doesn't seem to be about profit.

It's just another case of a company forcing their broken and astoundingly poor quality service onto everyone. It's another account to set up - which isn't compatable with any other services (and sometimes not even with iteself!) and only offers a low quality option. I honestly can't understand why people go for UV at all. To be fair though, I don't really see the lure of any digital platform (physical media all the way \o/ )

UV just really sticks out as a poor quality service in this day and age. If they think UV is a step towards eliminating movie piracy - they've got rocks in their head. Anyone can get a HD quality rip for free anywhere on the net - that they can watch on a whole list of devices without issue.

I never want to touch UV copies, and I actively avoid buying any dvd that has that butt-ugly purple strip on it as a matter of principle.

Just my 2c

i too find myself not purchasing actual copies of UV movies, i like digital as it suits me especially when i was travelling 1.5 hrs for work each way.. losd up the ipad and away we go..

my problem isnt with digital media it has its place my problem is with paying my money and not doing what i want with it.

i really dont know how many people use UV but it just does not seem to work, i have been digitising all my 1000 od DVDs and sticking them on my magic box atleast apple gives you the physical file and you dont need to cloud stream it or download it every time you need to watch it.

the other thing that bugs me is with all the sequels coming out (like dragons 2) the original movie came out with digital compatible with apple Dragons 2 is UV now i will need multiple accounts for my digital library if i so choose to use the UV code.

probably just easier to rip the movie from the disk.

thank god GotG wont have UV
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Absolute crap, just use make .mkv to rip the movie to your computer.