Page 469 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 449459464465466467468469470471472473474479489 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 10404

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

We did, it's a satellite called "the Moon".
    It's kinda like our star being called "the Sun"... they were probably named back when people thought they were the only ones in the Universe.

They aren't the only ones?

It's easier to say "Moon or Moons" than referring to them as "Satellites or Natural Satellites".
    It wasn't until the 17th Century that telescopes were able to see other planets and their "Moons" to know that it was actually quite common, but since the Western world had named The Sun and The Moon almost 800 years prior to the revelation of the Earth being round and that we weren't the only planet with Natural Satellites, it was more indoctrinated in the Western World to believe that every Star was called a Sun, and that every natural Satellite was called a Moon.
    It was about that time that the "Earth being the Centre of the Universe" was finally proven to be wrong as well.

As strange as it seems, many Ancient cultures, from 600BC, already believed the Earth was round, but when the Church-led western world was the dominant influence on Earth for Theology & Science, it took a thousand years (the 15th Century) before it could be proven and accepted that the Earth was not flat.

A bit of an educational side-track... but I find such historical journeys of things we take for granted, as fascinating.
    (if you think about it, if Moon is a generic term for orbiting natural objects of planets, then ours is the only one in the Universe without a name)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    As strange as it seems, many Ancient cultures, from 600BC, already believed the Earth was round...
    Eratosthenes (276–194 BC) worked out the circumference of Earth pretty accurately, so it wasn't just a belief.

More about moons!
    Some satellites we've seen in Transformers include:
    + The Moon (Earth)
    + Luna 1-4 (Cybertron), depending on continuity
    + Titan (Saturn) - the natives mistook TFs for their Sky Gods and worshipped them. The Quintessons later established a base there. Metrotitan was also constructed there.
    + Blurr and Wheelie once crashed on the Jovian satellite of Io.
    + Styx - ice satellite to the planet Charon where there's a Decepticon penal colony
    + Charon is also the name of Pluto's satellite which was seen in the G1 episode "Five Faces of Darkness Part 3"
    + In Revenge of the Fallen the Nemesis appeared to have crashed on one of Saturn's satellites (not sure which one - it has 61) <--debatable

Unnatural satellites:
    + Unicron - Cybertron's satellite in the Armadaverse cartoon
    + Planet Buster - Prehistoric Earth's second moon that turned out to be a Vok weapon

Also...
    + The Decepticon allied Microman Ga'Mede's name is derived from Ganymede, the name of the largest of Jupiter's 63 satellites.
    + Whirl's pre-Transformer name was "Oberon Gazette," and Oberon is the name of one of Uranus' satellites. I don't know enough about Dorvack to tell if this was an intentional reference or not.
    + In the G1 comics there was a Decepticon double-spy named Triton, sharing with one of Neptune's satellites.
    + In Beast Wars there's a character named Moon who finishes his sentences with the word "moon."
    + Waspinator once mooned Inferno and Quickstrike... who shot him.

^ Seriously... did all that just pour out of your head or did you cut-n-paste from a wiki article? You need a hobby... oh, wait
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

All hail the mighty Aten, know that I am not a heretic...

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    All hail the mighty Aten, know that I am not a heretic...
    I'm not a heretic either. I'm THE Heretic

So deciding to try and hunt down some MP figures to go with Magnus.

Megatron is too much effort, so not bothering with him, so want to get a Roddy, Grimlock and a seeker, preferably Skywarp as I wasn't a massive fan of the Hasbro MP Starscream I had (sold it ages ago).

So what I am asking is for advice and thoughts on the Hasbro and Takara versions for each figure and where if anyone has any recommended sellers that have them for reasonable prices.

I am pretty happy to go with the Hasbro Rodimus from TRU for around $60, but all thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated as to why to get the Takara one instead.

Grimlock will need to be imported, I know! Just hard to get a scope on a good price as they fluctuate greatly on ebay and the like.

And Skywarp is the one I really want thoughts and info on.. I can get a Hasbro one for around $80 shipped, and a takara one for $170ish if memory serves. Mostly wondering if it as worth the extra and why.

Only on a teachers salary so can probably only get one at a time, unless there is a stellar deal somewhere!

Thanks for the assistance!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I think I know someone who may be able to get you a Megatron. One of the good ones from the second batch too (no rust).

As for seekers, remember that TakTom have got the new seeker sculpt coming out, and we've already seen the Sunstorm exclusive (which is a thing of beauty). I'd say work out which sculpt you like better, and go from there.

If you decide on TakTom Rodimus, MAKE SURE YOU GET A SECOND BATCH ONE. I CANNOT stress the importance of that!