Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Metrotitan

Must be time for an update :P
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Will you be able to disclose the techniques you've used to paint this figure?
    I'd like to know how you did the glow effects along with the finger tips.

Quote Originally Posted by VGMStudios View Post
    Will you be able to disclose the techniques you've used to paint this figure?
    I'd like to know how you did the glow effects along with the finger tips.
    I'd be happy to share! I primed everything with Alclad primer which comes out a light grey. I masked some of the areas that were going to have the glow effect but not all. I was partly feeling my way as I went.

Once the parts were painted their main colours (blue, black, red and white), I masked off the parts, leaving exposed the areas that the glow effects were due to go - this was painstaking and took ages. I painted the areas white first, then a custom pink in circles leaving it a little more pale on the inside. Then around the outside of the areas I painted purple, again leaving it lighter on the inside, darker towards the outside. All the painting up until this point was done with an airbrush.

From there, I took all the masking off and by hand did touch ups surrounding the glow areas to make sure it was all nice and clean (still have a few pieces to finish this process on!). I then used thinned down dark purple and used a panel lining technique to catch all the darker edges of the glow areas. Finally, I used a 50% mix of clear and white acrylic paint and sprayed very lightly with the airbrush in the centre of all the glow areas to highlight them. The effect of this particular technique is more visible the larger the areas.

The finger tips were done with this technique, but I didn't do the last step as the areas were just too small.

Hope the explanation is clear enough! Any questions, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by KalEl View Post
    Must be time for an update :P
    Soon!!

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post

Soon!!
    Surely it's soon now

Cannot wait for this to be put together and see the glorious pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    Cannot wait for this to be put together and see the glorious pictures.
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast

Haha, highly amused

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Geez, like I didn't get enough of a hurry up on Twitter!

OK, here's what may be one of the last updates before the reveal. Some panel lining and detailing work done.

DSC_0043 by M-bot2011

DSC_0047 by M-bot2011

DSC_0048 by M-bot2011

DSC_0045 by M-bot2011

DSC_0046 by M-bot2011

DSC_0052 by M-bot2011

DSC_0053 by M-bot2011

I was doing some touch ups of the white on one of the legs before detailing, using Blutak as a masking agent as its far less harsh than any tape and -DISASTER!! - Some of the pink/purple came off instead. Two options: either clear coat the piece to protect what's there, re-mask and do the glow effects in these spots again, or do the glow effects by hand. Still on the fence about this one.

I did prime those pieces before painting but the paintwork has been very fragile there without a clear coat. The plastic's softer and more flexible which may account for that. Frustrating though!
    DSC_0051 by M-bot2011

OK, I work best with deadlines. I'm trying to get this finished by New Year's. Basically that gives me a week to finish the detailing (only some arm pieces and that leg to go) and clear coat it, and at least a few days curing time before reassembly and final touch ups. It's so close to finished... Been a long time coming, but I'm really happy with the way it's coimg out. Worth every second of time.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!