Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Price Matching Policies for Australian Store Chains that stock Toys

Target currently has a "list" somewhere with at least Big W and Myer's prices. I got them to match Kmart prices too just buy showing them the catalog on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Target currently has a "list" somewhere with at least Big W and Myer's prices. I got them to match Kmart prices too just buy showing them the catalog on my phone.
    Lucky you. That phone thing never got me anywhere in Sydney

Lasoo.com.au shows catalogues and sale prices.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The thing with these stores though, is that even if they deny a request, and you say you'll never shop there again... chances are, you will eventually, and probably at their next sale or exclusive item.
    It's not a big enough negative to their public image to draw the line wherever they want, whenever they want. We just have to take the good with the bad... the wins with the rejections, especially if it is just a toy or for a few dollars.
    Some love the challenge or live by the process, but for me, it's just not worth the hassle if they reject my first request.
    They don't feel the effect but it does leave a bad taste for me. Enough to only buy when I'm forced to and not by preference.

As of today's date...

During the Target toy sale, they are advertising their annual short-lived price-matching policy.
    From their website though, and page 2 of the catalogue:

Toy price guarantee. If you find an identical toy advertised for less, we'll match it! Simply bring in a copy of the current advertising material and leave the rest to us. Excludes DVDs, interactive consoles and software, international advertisements and promotions. Terms and conditions apply, see online or in store for details.
    Apparently that is the "Terms and Conditions", as the link on that page to "Ts & Cs" is just the same link to that page. ???
    Be a bit cautious of the "leave the rest to us" bit, as it could allow them to add any condition they want, in order to avoid matching certain items. Since Target don't price-match toys throughout the rest of the year, and individual stores change their minds on the policy at a moments notice (see first post), their commitment to the policy during the catalogue dates is questionable.
    (although - there is no cut-off date for this price-match statement, but after the catalogue ends, the stores will claim that the offer was only valid during that time)

BigW's Price Matching policy quoted on their website:
    ALWAYS GET IT FOR LESS GUARANTEE
    We guarantee Australia's lowest prices on toys because we promise to match any competitor's price - even if you've already got something on layby*.
    We make every effort to match advertised prices so that you can be confident that you are paying the lowest price at BIG W.
    *If by chance you should find an identical item advertised at a lower price by another store, we guarantee to match that price on the spot. Visit a BIG W store and present the competitor's current advertisement or ask an associate to verify the price, or for online purchases call our Contact Centre on 1300 244 999.

BIG W will price match any product that is identical to the same brand, the same model number or style, and the same weight.
    Excludes clearance or wholesale items, online sales, soiled or damaged stock, liquidation sale offers, overseas prices, second-hand, floor stock, end-of-line, ex-demo or similar, and a price printed in error.
    Note that it doesn't say that they reserve the right to check if a competitor has the item in stock... just the price in their current advertisement. If they try to ring up competitors, just ask them to show where the Price-Match policy says that it was a condition.
    This Policy might expire when the catalogue sale ends, as the link above has the name of the Sale next to the "offer".

ToysRUs Price matching policy:
    Lists specific requirements (has to be in-stock at the competitor's store) and only during the time frame of this catalogue sale.

Price Guarantee
    Spot a lower price and we'll beat it by 10% (excludes online purchases)
    Toys"R"Us Price Guarantee is available in store only on purchases during our Lowest Prices of the Season Sale. Tuesday 27 June to Tuesday 17 July 2012. Excludes nappies, wipes, baby food, baby formula, game consoles, iTunes Cards, Prepaid Cards, Gift Cards or non-merchandise goods and services. Competitor's product must be in stock at a retail outlet within the same city or town. Product must be identical (e.g. same brand, model and colour). Competitor's Advertised price mst be current. Price Guarantee is not available when the competitor's lower price is due to category or storewide discounts, conditional sales, package deals, trade-ins, damaged stock, demonstration or discontinued lines and loyalty or third party offers. We will not match online retailers, fire or liquidation sales, clearance and warehouse outlets. Competitor's price will be matched, and a further 10% discount will be taken off the matched price.

Kmart don't appear to have anything listed on their website, or in the Toy Sale catalogue about price-matching... so maybe they no longer do, or it isn't something they promote anymore (but still do, if you ask in store).

I found a flyer at David Jones yesterday, which detailed a (new-ish) price-matching policy, that includes matching anything on a major competitor's website (which beats having to rely on them calling up a nearby store, and not price-matching if they don't have it in stock). Just be sure to have a tablet device on hand to show the competitor's website, and the DJs flyer with the matching policy detailed.

It's been a year since I updated this last, so need to go through it again some time soon.

Just adding in a photo of Target's current price-matching policy... which fortunately doesn't have any dating on it to say that it was just for a particular promotion or sale.

We should start posting up these sorts of photographic proof, so that it makes it easier for people to convince a store that they have (had) a price-matching policy, especially if it was an easy policy like this one.

I'm sure I had one from a TRU catalogue that I posted somewhere... but can't seem to find it now.

One from BigW that they had in their 2012 mid-year catalogue... that also doesn't say it is restricted to a date or promotion.

And in case David Jones ever starts stocking Transformers again, this was posted up by Jaydisc a couple years back...

I'll look at doing up a new resource topic of current price-matching policies, or maybe just add it into the first post post of this topic.

Just looking back from previous toysales - found the old Kmart price-match policy from 2008, which they don't do anymore...

'If you find a cheaper price on the same product in stock at another store, when you buy it from us, we'll match the price & give you 10% of the difference.'

One thing I don't get is the stores only match advertised prices? I mean, let's use a voyager. Standard RRP $38. It's that price at Big W, K-mart, where ever. I go to Target and it's on the shelf for $44, will they match it?

Technically it's not an advertised line, it's just always cheaper, so it doesn't go into a catalogue. It's just unhelpfully vague, no doubt purposefully so.

Yeah, Target once told me that they only match prices if the product is IN the catalogue. I tried to get them to price match w/ Kmart once, but Kmart's catalogue at the time had NO Transformers in it, which made the policy pretty much useless. So I went to Kmart and photographed the toy on their shelf (along with the TF cap and TF toy I was carrying with me (FoC Skywarp) in the same shot to prove that it was a photo I'd just taken and not something I'd taken from the net or someone else's photo) and then showed the picture to the lady at the customer service desk at Target. She called toys and the guy gave her approval to accept the price match.

Did you buy the same toy from Kmart at Target? Is the toy available at Kmart? If you were just price matching, what's the sense of proving with the photo.

I tried that with Target as well. Showed them the photo as well but because it was clearance at Kmart, they said they wouldn't match it. Only sale or normal price would be matched. It was sold out at Kmart that's why I was trying Target to sell me one. If it wasn't sold out, I would just've bought it at Kmart.

Once at TRU, (the Kreo sets were on sale at Target) because of the massive price difference - they will check first if the item is in stock before they price match. If it was in stock at the closest Target, then I wouldn't need to go to TRU.