Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comic Review: Monstrosity IDW digital release

Default Comic Review: Monstrosity IDW digital release

Thanks to the "Monstrosity" sale, the new digital only series has had issue 1 released. It is a direct continuation of Autocracy, which did receive a print release as a collection a few months after the final release.

This is the regathering issue, where we see where the two big players are after their "final" confrontation in Autocracy. We see Prime trying to deal with fractured Cybertronian politics while Megatron has his decepticons looking after him in true decepticon fashion.

A couple of little nods to to fiction past, but with some twists in it. Nice to see Alpha Trion with his face rag and Bumblebee talking, I know he does in RiD too but after so much silent Bee in other media, it's great to have him talking whenever he does.

Worth the $1 it costs digitally, the art remains the same as Autocracy, so if you didn't like it then, you'll not like it anymore now.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Bulkhead is G1 now, knew when i put prime bulkhead with my classics it would pay off

Issue two is out And worth every one of the 99 cents.

No prime, this is a decepticon focused issue. We get Scorponok and the terrorcons as well as dinobots that are hinted to having a similar affliction to their "Prime/FoC" counterparts.

We get to see Megatron showcasing his power and drive again, it is brutal. His time on junkion reveals it was indeed Megatron who was on the cover of issue 1.

The rating this issue really pops on the iPad, I am not sure that it will look as good in print form, but it is far better than what I have since seen on the online preview pages.

My only concern is that these prehistory issues seem to want to contradict what we already know has happened as we have been told or shown in the -tion, ongoing and current series. I'll continue to believe that autocracy was a parallel universe style story, same with monstrosity until we are definitively shown that they tie in well together.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

yeah, there seems to be some parrells to what we already know but there are distinct difference too

I loved Autocracy and am loving the two issues I have downloaded of Monstrosity so far (got an iPhone 5 today and it was the first thing I did ). Considering how big Scorponok is, Hun-Grrr (or Hun-GAr now for some damn reason) must be bloody huge! Would say more but 'spoilers' and all

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I loved Autocracy and am loving the two issues I have downloaded of Monstrosity so far (got an iPhone 5 today and it was the first thing I did ). Considering how big Scorponok is, Hun-Grrr (or Hun-GAr now for some damn reason) must be bloody huge! Would say more but 'spoilers' and all
    well this is a review thread, if your in here you most likley have read the issue already so speak your mind :P
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    well this is a review thread, if your in here you most likley have read the issue already so speak your mind :P
    Well alrighty then ...

In issue one you see Scorponok pick up a barely conscious Megatron in one claw before he throws him out of Astrotrains airlock. So Scorponok is pretty damn big, as someone in the crowd says in issue two. But also in Issue two when Hun-Grrr (bugger the new spelling) confronts Scorponok while in two-headed dragon mode, he is at least as tall as Scorponok and takes up nearly the whole panel. The proportions are akin to a human standing in front of a full grown rhino! So if Scorp can pick up big ol' Megatron in one claw (thus huge) and Scorp looks like he could come up to Hun-Grrr's waist at best if Hun-Grrr went to robot mode - then Hun-Grrr must be fricken massive!

Just read the latest issue (No 3). While it was quite good and moved the story along well, nothing major happened in this issue of particular note. It's nice to see a Quintession make an appearance, I always liked them as bad guys in the TF universe, though of course hated (even before the Primus storyline came along) the idea of them being the TF creators in the original cartoon.

I do like the portrayl of Junkion in this series. About the only cringe-worthy scene in the animated movie (besides everything Wheelie did) was them all having a dance with the Junkions and Dinobots. To see Junkion portrayed as a world of desolation and death filled with psychotic combatants made of scrap is a great 'grown-up' take on what used to be the comic relief in Season 3. Can't wait for the next issue!

Latest Issue: No 4

Still really enjoying thier portrayl of Junkion, making me kinda wish now that the next High Moon Studio's game happens in space so they can visit it, rather than just heading straight to 1984.

Sharkticons on Junkion? Well, no reason they couldn't be I suppose and it's great to see them finally make an appearance, as well as actually appearing dangerous for once. Love how Meg's kills a bunch, but is last seen sinking into the depths with half a dozen attached to him.

Interesting to see how they have portrayed Grimlock having a FoC'esque Transformation where he loses control. Not really much of a Transformation though, he just hunches over, grows jagged spines on his back and starts going "KILL YOU ALLLLL". It feels kind of shoehorned in to be honest, and doesn't really jive with things like Spotlight: Shockwave. Interested to see where they can take it in the few issues they have left.

Still really enjoying this series, though this issue was a little weaker than the last few IMO.

Issue 5 & 6:

Issue 5:
    *A pretty weak explaination to how Megatron escaped the Sharkticons "The wretches pulled me down and released me". Hopefully the Quintessons comment about it being 'interesting' means there will be further explaination down the line.
    *The great exodus has begun. Doesn't really jive with the whole 'Thunderwing ruined Cybertron' storyline set up years ago. Though it does work with the Drift mini-series of Dai Atlas and so on leaving, as well as the 'Robots in Disguise' series as right now it is just the neutrals leaving, leaving the Autobot/Decepticon war behind them.

Issue 6:
    *Back story to how Grimlock and the rest got their bestial alt-modes which is kinda interesting. a 6th Dynobot that died?! Hmmmm, not sure how the fanboys will react to that. Overall though this is a nice explaination of what Grim & co got up to and what made them such a tight-knit yet 'hostile to everyone else' team.
    *The ending - finding a GIANT Trypticon - FRIGGIN YES!!! It's been bugging me in IDW how the few times we've seen Trypticon he's been not much bigger than Omega Supreme (He was like that in the old Marvel comics too). In this he looks on par with Metroplex as it should be, much like WFC and the G1 cartoon. Can't wait to see what happens with one of my fav characters/toys next!