Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the movie series change directors?

Default Should the movie series change directors?

Considering how Revenge of the Fallen turned out, do you think that Bay should be replaced, and if so, with whom?

Despite overall enjoying the movie, I'm inclined to say yes, someone else should take over as director of the movie series. My main reason for this is the various superfluous elements of RotF (e.g. Devastator's balls, Simmons' underpants), which were apparently there because Bay wanted them in. I suppose one could also count the Twins, but I didn't find them particularly annoying-just screen-stealing from the other robots, mainly the new ones like Sideswipe.

If he did in fact have those parts put in because he wanted them, then I'm seriously wondering what he thinks about how a film should flow. The tacked on humour bits served only to pull me out of the film.

Also, there was apparently a lot of conflict between him and the writers (Orci and Kurtzman, fyi)-he wanted the Twins in, etc, and they had to push for a lot of things from the original script to be kept it. I don't think conflict is a good sign.

As for possible replacements...I'm not entirely sure, really.

(Note: I wanted to put a 'Yes/No' poll in here, but I forgot to tick the option to enable one.)
    Last edited by SilverDragon; 4th August 2009 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    Considering how Revenge of the Fallen turned out, do you think that Bay should be replaced, and if so, with whom?
    Frak Yeah! and at this point I don't care with whom!

For the fans yes, for the rest of the world no. If Bay has made this much money from such a crappy movie, then i dont' see the big bosses changing directors anytime soon. They see that Bay can bring in the dollars and they'll want more next time.

I nominate Irvin Kershner to replace Michael Bay. Though I fear that he may be too old to direct something like Transformers (and most likely now retired) which has been more suited to a hyperactive director like Bay.

Michael Bay himself isn't fundamentally a bad director for Transformers, but he really should remember that he a _director_ and NOT a story editor. He should just let the writers do their job and get on with his own task of directing the film.

I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Verhoeven or George Lucas directing Transformer - or heck - STEVEN SPIELBERG! He's already producing!
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 3rd August 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Even Peter Jackson could make a mature, darker film than Bay. But it wouldn't make the money if didn't include the teenage toilet humour to attract teenie boppers.

Quote Originally Posted by shokwave2 View Post
    For the fans yes, for the rest of the world no. If Bay has made this much money from such a crappy movie, then i dont' see the big bosses changing directors anytime soon. They see that Bay can bring in the dollars and they'll want more next time.
    Unfortunately, you make a valid point. As long as the box office money keeps flowing in, the powers that be (who have no heart about the characters/property and look at it from a business point of view) will be happy with Bay until the cash cow dries up.

After ROTF, I'm inclined to think of any subsequent sequels similar to the crappy Police Academy series, with hokey plotlines mixed with stupid T & A and corny jokes until thank god the thing died.

If Transformers goes this way, the big movie bigwigs will leave the property at the side of the road like roadkill and move onto the next big licence to milk.

The problem is will there be a reboot/remake down the line? I know the movie isn't really catering for the old fans, but for the general movie going audience so the answer may be no.

However, when you compare Transformers to something like Batman or Superman which has 60+ years of history and is pretty much universal for all generations, I don't see another Transformers movie when the next one completely tanks it and the studio execs lose money on it.

You look at how Batman and Robin was completely abysmal at the box office and horrific to watch, thanks to the script, casting and campy direction of Joel Schumacher. It took a couple of years but the studio execs and DC comics were always going to do another Batman movie.

The comic book fan and movie audience response to that steaming pile of crap made them rethink their approach and so they abandoned that franchise to start anew.

They realised they had to get back to the basics and the heart of the character, mythos and go back to the drawing board.

The reboot they did and the results they got speak for themselves. They got a fantastic cast, a proven writer in David Goyer and a great director in Christopher Nolan and they used the wealth of history and stories to make a great movie.

With Transformers I don't see that happening but I hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Verhoeven or George Lucas directing Transformer - or heck - STEVEN SPIELBERG! He's already producing!
    George Lucas who gave us Jar Jar Binks? We already got a taste in ROTF with the Twins, do we really need more?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Frak Yeah! and at this point I don't care with whom!
    While I'm no Bay fan, he did do an ok job on the first movie. Anyone seems a bit drastic.

Replace Bay with Mel Gibson, Roland Emmerich, George Lucas or Uwe Boll and where back were we started.

Ofcourse if they got someone good who knows what this acting is thing is, that would be an improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

The only difference if Lucas directed Transformers would be a thankfull abscense of Bay humour, and an increase in unecesary cgi sequences. Although at least Optimus would never shoot first then.

Verhoeven would be interesting, though I worry he'd put a scene in where Arcee flashes her crotch at Deception interogators.
    Last edited by Lord_Zed; 3rd August 2009 at 07:44 PM.

My reason for saying "anyone" is mainly because we know exactly what we will get with Bay. Another director will add an element of surprise as Bay's methods may be formulaic and repetetive but pretty unique to him.

James Cameron, Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi. I'd also suggest Ridley Scott, but wouldn't want him distracted from the new Alien film