Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deluxe Barricade, Bumblebee & Beserker images leaked

I think Barricade looks alright and an improvement over the 2007 Deluxe (mould/design wise, not colourwise; although that's probably because that's the way he'll look in the film, which isn't Hasbro's fault).

Bumblebee's not doing it for me - looks like a step backwards from AoE Deluxe Bumblebee, which already was a step backwards from previous Deluxe Movie 'Bees. That Berserker suffers from what I think is a common problem we've had since AoE; a kibbleless robot mode. Any bet that's the way that Paramount/Dreamworks has designed it, because that's what we saw in AoE. This forces HasTak to make Shellformers where the main robot bodies carry now hint of the alt mode.

I suspect that this is due to Josh Feldman. Back when Aaron Archer was in charge, one mandate that he placed on Michael Bay was that the Transformers had to have noticeable alt mode kibble. e.g. doors, windows, tyres etc. Archer explicitly stated in the DVD interview that he asked Bay to change the designs to reflect this, and Bay also mentioned that Hasbro had asked him to make these changes, and both sides reached a compromise. We know that this was one of the earlier concept designs for Optimus Prime:

And Archer explicitly stated that he couldn't approve this design because it was too difficult to make into product, particularly with the split tyres. But Bay himself said that it was Hasbro who insisted on Optimus Prime being a red truck, but Bay wanted him to be a blue truck and he explained to Archer that it was because blue was easier to film than red, and the compromise resulted in the more extensive chopper flames. But importantly, when we see the end result, we can see the iconic red chest and smoke stacks etc.

We know that Archer has since left that position at Hasbro after Dark of the Moon, and we can see that Archer's successor (who I think is Feldman, but again, do correct me if I'm wrong) has not continued this mandate with Bay. Without any checks on Bay, he has allowed the Transformers to become more like the early concept designs in the first movie - kibble-free metallic creatures. When you look at the Transformers transforming in Age of Extinction, most of their alt mode kibble just disappears. When I watch AoE Optimus Prime transform frame by frame I can see the entire back half of the truck get swallowed up into his lower back! It's as if he has a magical Doraemon-like inter-dimensional pocket there or something. But this is why when you look at Age of Extinction Optimus Prime there is very little alt mode kibble. It honestly looks like someone wearing a costume made from parts of an automotive vehicle which has been randomly tacked on different places rather than being parts of a vehicle which has shifted there during transformation.

In short, Bay has done what Archer never wanted him to do - he's made the transformers morph (quite literally for the Decepticons) rather than shift-parts-form. Granted Archer did allow this to happen with the Maximals in Beast Machines (I don't know if that was Mainframe's or Hasbro's idea), but at least Hasbro learnt from that and insisted that they not do it again... ever. But since Archer's departure, it appears that Hasbro has forgotten this lesson. *sigh*

I think that Barricade looks the best in that lot because he's the only one that appears to be a partsformer and not a try-hard wannabe morpher. And he appears to have a better posture and more human-like body than the original figure. So I might get Barricade, but the others are an easy pass.

I concur with Gok.

The design shift and the lower parts count you get in a deluxe figure these days has killed my interest in mainline movie toy releases. They're harder designs to make work in plastic, and the designers are doing it with less to work with.

Which is a shame because my all time favourite Transformers toyline is and remains ROTF and it's various sub-lines (HFTD, Reveal The Shield, NEST Alliance). We just don't see movie based toys like those anymore
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

FatalityPitt Guest

I'm not a fan of the movie toys, and the only ones I've ever gotten were DotM Thundercracker, AoE Slug and a few select legions. There was however one pretty good AoE Optimus Prime that was a Voyager, but the Leader class AoE Optimus was basically a shell-former. To be fair though, the Leader class Optimus represented a version of the character that wouldn't be physically possible to make into a transforming toy, unless they cheated.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    When I watch AoE Optimus Prime transform frame by frame I can see the entire back half of the truck get swallowed up into his lower back! It's as if he has a magical Doraemon-like inter-dimensional pocket there or something.
    Bay probably had a Eureka moment when he found out about Subspace.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    There was however one pretty good AoE Optimus Prime that was a Voyager, but the Leader class AoE Optimus was basically a shell-former. To be fair though, the Leader class Optimus represented a version of the character that wouldn't be physically possible to make into a transforming toy, unless they cheated.
    Exactly. And the Voyager is based on the "pre-rescanned" AoE Optimus Prime, so he was still carrying over the old aesthetics from the first three films and carrying visible alt mode kibble on his body. The same with the "pre-scan" Bumblebee (the black 60s Camaro), but the moment he rescanned to the new Camaro, he lost most of his alt mode kibble. Pre-scan Optimus Prime and Bumblebee were better designs as they actually looked more like Transformers and translated a whole lot better as toys that weren't shellformers.

All things considered, I think that TakaraTOMY are designing these toys pretty well given the ridiculously difficult designs that Dreamworks are creating, but Hasbro really should never have green lighted those designs in the first place. They should've done what they did with the first 3 films and be firmer with Bay, explaining to him that these designs just don't translate well as products and also don't carry the basic visual aesthetic of the Transformers brand. It's as if Feldman just doesn't get Transformers (even less so than Archer! ). We know that Bay doesn't really get Transformers - he admitted in the DVD interview that he hung up on Steven Spielberg after he first proposed Transformers to him. He pretty explained that Hasbro had to beg him to do Transformers and then "schooled" him in Transformers in order to give him a basic understanding of what they were. Contrast this with the writers of Beast Wars who had none of this support from Hasbro, but took it upon themselves to communicate with fans online and also did their own research into G1 and G2 to try and understand Transformers. No amount of money and courses that Hasbro throws at Bay can compensate for the one thing that he lacks which Forward and DiTillio didn't: passion. (-_-)

From the same TFW2005 link, Beserker also in Premier Edition packaging:

Quote Originally Posted by lfpnrg View Post
    Fantastic! I really love the way that Hasbro is helping me to save money!

Fantastic! I really love the way that Hasbro is helping me to save money!
    Lol my thoughts too. I don't mind the Barricade though, but yeah, I don't think I'll be buying any movie 5 figs.
    WANTS
    G1 Vortex w/ weapons
    Beast Wars Basic Rattrap head and gun

I think that Barricade looks the best in that lot because he's the only one that appears to be a partsformer and not a try-hard wannabe morpher. And he appears to have a better posture and more human-like body than the original figure. So I might get Barricade, but the others are an easy pass.
    I usually prefer TFs to be more robot-like, but the 2007 Deluxe Barricade was probably my favourite toy and original design out of that line and all other characters that received screen time. The insect-like proportions have become somewhat iconic, and I really don't see the need to wind that back. The new robot mode makes him look more of a grunt (the round helmet, and if his eyes were blue instead of red, he might even pass as an affable Autobot) than a lonesome stalker/hunter/killer (with bits of front door windows placed like mantis wings; entirely ornamental).

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Well I must say this is my first real disappointment with the new movie. Barricade died in DOTM and I thought that maybe they would treat the new Con Cop Car as a new character. A bit like Grindor was obviously Blackout but at least they gave the toy a new name to try and pass it off/excuse the fact that a Con that died was straight back. But nope, here is Barricade again with no explanation

Looks like they are doing the same with Crankcase, but at least they are calling him Beserker instead. But at the least it's obviously another Dread who looks exactly like CC.

Sigh, between reusing dead characters and the quality of these toys, its getting harder and harder for me to tell people "Stop complaining and just enjoy we are getting another movie"

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Well I must say this is my first real disappointment with the new movie. Barricade died in DOTM and I thought that maybe they would treat the new Con Cop Car as a new character. A bit like Grindor was obviously Blackout but at least they gave the toy a new name to try and pass it off/excuse the fact that a Con that died was straight back. But nope, here is Barricade again with no explanation
    I had to look that up before commenting. My memory is hazy when it comes to all the movie deaths (a lot of emotions bottled for Soundwave and Shockwave). The wiki says he was shot in the eye and his legs were blown off. Did the humans deliver the killing blow?

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!