Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little overdue, but here's my little intro...

Default A little overdue, but here's my little intro...

Hello all at OTCA =o)

It's great that us Australians have our own little Transfans collective, because until I found a link to here on Seibertron.com last week, I thought I was quite alone in my adult collecting of Transformers. Well, here's a little something I typed up a while back, intending to make my own small web page for my small collection, but that may never happen, so I'll put it here. As you can see, I kinda got carried away typing this up, so feel free to skip my scary big wall of text if you only wish to see the list of what I have, because it's just me rambling about my past etc. =oP

My History with Transformers:

I was but a young lad aged 6 when I first discovered the Transformers, back in the small Victorian town of Merbein. For many reasons, my collection of Generation 1 Transformers was limited, but thoroughly appreciated and enjoyed. As best as I can recall, between the years of 1986-1992 I owned Hotrod, Hound, Prowl, Soundwave (+ Buzzsaw), Sandstorm, Ravage, Seaspray, Mudslinger and Beachcomber. Some were purchases by my parents for either me doing jobs around the house or Christmas/Birthday presents, and others were obtained through toy trades amongst friends. I also have fond memories of many other G1 toys that belonged to the friends I layed with, such as Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Wheeljack, Cyclonus, Starscream, Thrust, Trailbreaker, Motormaster, Frenzy, Warpath, Cosmos, Powerglide, Shockwave, the Constructicons, the Aerialbots etc etc. Unfortunately though, as many home and school relocations occured through my childhood/early teens, alot of my things vanished, including my beloved Transformers.

Now that I am in sheer envy of the youth I once had (I feel old =oP), I am now living in Adelaide as a married father of one. I have observed Transformers from a distance for some time, often feeling disappointed in the childish, flurescent plastic look of some of them compared to the die-cast originals I was used to. But in recent years, it is great to see how far they have come and how much more appealing they are to me now as an adult with their increased details and complexities. Because in all honesty, as much as I love and adore the originals for nostalgic purposes, they were a turd to get any decent kind of battle pose out of them. But with the figures of the last 5 or so years, some of the transformations and articulation are really quite facinating!

My first step into becoming an adult Transformers collector came about when I saw the Alternators box of Smokescreen at Port Adelaide K-Mart. As a rally fan, When I saw a Subaru Impreza WRX in a box marked Transformers, I just HAD to have a look. Not only did it look great as a vehicle, I just loved the bot form too, which was something I often noticed absent about previous offerings. That's not to rag on the lines prior to Alternators/Binaltechs, but from what I had seen in shops over the years, they just lacked a certain something in my own personal opinion.

Although I am (and always have been) pretty anal in keeping my collectable belongings in top condition, when I first got Smokescreen, I decided not to be a MISB Nazi and just enjoy it. The appeal I have for these creations is the intricate transformations and the cool battle poses that can now be achieved with modern articulation, and to spend good money on a Subaru Impreza WRX and just leave it in a box, I would be better off getting a much cheaper model of just the car itself. This got the ball rolling, as shortly after that I saw the Universe Prowl, as I had the G1 of him as a child, I thought it's a good follow up. Although not my favourite figure (I kinda got him purely based on nostalgia), he has grown on me and is proudly displayed.

After my first two purchases, I started googling Transformers for images and information, discovering that Alternators were the plastic versions of the die-cast Binaltech figures. Straight away I was on eBay looking for Binaltechs, eventually buying 5 of them. There was no turning back by now, and sure enough, as time has passed since then, the collection has grown to what I would call a comparitively small, but equally loved collection. I am not a hardcore collector for for a number of reasons, most noticably being lack of finances for such high-end prices the rares and vintage fetch these days, but also for reasons shown below...

Here are the basics behind my purchase decisions:

-Appealing; I like both bot and alt mode, or at least bot mode, as that's how I display them.
    -Highly poseable; enough for some cool displays, as I'm not a fan of "stand straight up" or "transformable toy in a static box" displays. I do give kudos to those collectors who can keep them in the box though, but for me, they are too cool to not tinker with =oP
    -Nostalgia; For example, the Classics versions of G1 characters I had as a child.
    -Unique; Has a certain something that sets it apart (ie. RotF Scout Ransack, RotF Deluxe Ravage)
    -It's on sale =oP

What I try to avoid:

-Pure nostalgia; If it's a remake of a character I fondly remember, but the figure does nothing for me, no sale!
    -Vintage; My collection is all about how it looks to me, not if it will impress others etc, so I'm not really interested in vintage because they are not as poseable as todays Transformers, and getting good condition versions of them is ridiculously expensive, especially for a family man on a standard wage. That being said, if I did still have my original G1's, my thoughts on this may be different =oP
    -Rares; Convention exclusives etc are no interest of mine, purely based on the fact that to obtain them, you either spend thousands on a trip to the US and attend, or be willing to make some greedy yank very rich because he bought 10 of them solely to make a hefty profit on eBay. Having said that, if I lived in the US, my thoughts on this may be different =oP
    -On Sale; If I don't like it at RRP, I must resist forcing myself to like it when it goes cheap =oP
    -Repaints/remoulds; I like my bots to be their own bot, not have 5 remoulds side-by-side. This has occasionally found me doubled up after discovering a figure I bought, was later re-released under a more appealing character/colour scheme -.-

Anyways, here is my collection to date, for no other purpose than sharing what I have with anyone who cares enough to look. This is by no means a jaw-dropper collection, it's just my own little personal slice of the shape-shifting wonders, and I love it =o)

NOTE: I'm not 100% sure on series names etc, I just went by what the box said =oP

Alternators:

-Smokescreen (#8)
    -Sideswipe

Binaltech:

-Smokescreen (#7)
    -Hound
    -Silverstreak (Streak)
    -Meister (Red)
    -Grimlock

Energon:

Voyager:
    -Bulkhead

Masterpiece:

-Ultra Magnus
    -Convoy (with Trailer)
    -Starscream

Robots In Disguise:

Deluxe:
    -Astrotrain
    -Bumblebee
    -Rodimus
    -Starscream

Voyager:
    -Jetfire
    -Optimus Prime

Universe:

Deluxe:
    -Prowl

Universe Classics:

Legends:
    -Beachcomber
    -Bumblebee

Deluxe:
    -Hound (with Ravage)
    -Prowl

Voyager:
    -Blades
    -Inferno

Ultra:
    -Onslaught
    -Powerglide

Titanium:

-Menasor

Transformers Movie:

Deluxe:
    -Arcee
    -Big Daddy
    -Jolt

Leader:
    -Nightwatch Optimus Prime (Allspark Power)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen:

Scout:
    -Dead End
    -Depth Charge
    -Dune Runner
    -Knock Out
    -Ransack

Deluxe:
    -Breakaway
    -Bumblebee
    -Chromia
    -Interrigation Barricade
    -Ravage
    -Sideswipe

Leader:
    -Optimus Prime

Please have a listen to my songs. Feel free to comment if you wish, any constructive feedback is appreciated =o)

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

Good to see more Adelaideans!

Forgive me but I think when you said "Robots In Disguise" you might have meant "Classics"? Because Robots In Disguise is an entirely different line; essentially the Hasbro version of Transformers Car Robot (filled out with some other toys). Although as a Alternators/Binaltech fan it may interest you to know that Car Robot was the inspiration behind Binaltech. Car Robot was the first Transformers line which married contemporary toy engineering (i.e.: high poseability, complex detailing etc.) with licensed vehicle modes (e.g.: Lamborghini Diablo, Mercedes ML320, Dodge Viper, Nozomi 500, Hino Brandlier etc.), although the line was still made for kids. Binaltech grew from that.

neat Binaltech/Alternator collection. at least you got the rare few.
    welcome to the board

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Forgive me but I think when you said "Robots In Disguise" you might have meant "Classics"? Because Robots In Disguise is an entirely different line; essentially the Hasbro version of Transformers Car Robot (filled out with some other toys). Although as a Alternators/Binaltech fan it may interest you to know that Car Robot was the inspiration behind Binaltech. Car Robot was the first Transformers line which married contemporary toy engineering (i.e.: high poseability, complex detailing etc.) with licensed vehicle modes (e.g.: Lamborghini Diablo, Mercedes ML320, Dodge Viper, Nozomi 500, Hino Brandlier etc.), although the line was still made for kids. Binaltech grew from that.
    Yes, this is true it seems, as I said, I wasn't sure of the proper series names. Turns out the Prowl I have marked 'Universe' is a RID, and the Bumblebee etc marked 'Robots In Disguise' are Classics, confusing to my delicate lil' brain =oP That is some cool info indeed, ty =o) So that RID Prowl I have is an actual Lambo and not a look-a-like? Coolies =o)

Quote Originally Posted by iceburn View Post
    neat Binaltech/Alternator collection. at least you got the rare few.
    welcome to the board
    Thank you, and yes indeed! My wife (fiance at the time) thought $40 (postage included) was silly for a toy car/robot thing, but now she's seen how the good stuff goes quick and increases in worth. I love all my little guys, but especially these ones =o) I really would've loved the GT Smokescreen, but I missed out. I stopped with Binaltechs partially through lack of "convincing the missus" skills, and also due to the remould frenzy I could see happening. As I have said, I'm not a fan of remoulds/repaints, cause it makes each one less unique to me. I would prefer Dead End over Sideswipe though, but could never find him locally as an Alternator, and the Binaltech was heaps expensive by the time I decided.

Please have a listen to my songs. Feel free to comment if you wish, any constructive feedback is appreciated =o)

Welcome aboard!!

Welcome to the forum!

Mabuhay and welcome to the forum!
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

welcome to the forum

Welcome welcome!