View Poll Results: Which is your most dominant language other than English?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chinese

21 27.27%
  • Greek

3 3.90%
  • Hungarian

0 0%
  • Italian

5 6.49%
  • Japanese

5 6.49%
  • Maltese

1 1.30%
  • Spanish

4 5.19%
  • Tagalog

7 9.09%
  • Other

19 24.68%
  • I like machine language (none)

12 15.58%
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122 LastLast

Thread: What language (other than English) do you speak?

Continued from here:

Some US spellings actually go back to their original sources. e.g. "color" is spelt without a 'u' because that's exactly how it's spelt in its original Latin. Standard English spells it with a 'u' because the word arrived in English via French. They refer to autumn as "fall" because that is the original English word for that season. "Autumn" is actually Latin via French. The funny thing about Standard English is that "autumn" is the only Latin-based season name that we use - Spring, Summer and Winter are all original English words. If we were to use Latin then they'd be Autumn, Vern, Estiv and Hibern. Which is why the mid-season solstices are called autumnal, vernal, estival and hibernal respectively. The Americans made things more consistent by restoring "autumn" back to its original Anglo form, "Fall."

Americans also unclipped vowels that English speakers had come to clip.
    e.g.
    Library = we say "lye-bree", Yanks say "lye-breh-ree"

Although American English has also re-clipped itself in other parts, such as:
    Interesting = we say "in-chress-ting," Yanks say, "inner-ress-ting"
    Internet = we say "in-ter-net," Yanks say, "inner-net."

Other interesting examples beyond English include:
    * European vs Canadian French
    * Dutch vs Afrikaans
    ...etc

It's interesting how some people are able to sing in languages that they can't speak - and often sing it very well. A friend of mine is an excellent singer in Japanese but can't speak Japanese. At first this came across as strange to me, but then again I imagine that a lot of people who sing operatic songs like Nessun Dorma probably don't speak Italian either. And far fewer singers of O Fortuna would be able to speak Latin. And there would certainly be a lot of non-English speakers who can sing in English.

P.S.: It's kinda funny how the counting of how many languages a person can speak seems to fluctuate between Latin and Greek in English.

Speak 1 language = Monolingual
    Speak 2 languages = Bilingual
    Speak 3 languages = Trilingual
    Speak 4 languages = Quadralingual
    Speak 5 languages = Pentalingual (full Latin would be "Quintilingual")
    Speak 6 languages = Hexalingual (full Latin might be "Sexelingual"?)
    Speak 7 languages = Septalingual
    Speak 8 languages = Octolingual
    Speak 9 languages = Nonalingual
    Speak 10 languages = Decalingual (full Latin would be "Decelingual")
    Speak 11 languages = Undecalingual ("Undecilingual"?)
    Speak 12 languages = Dodecalingual ("Duodecilingual")

...and I suppose a person who speaks 0 languages might be Nihilingual

This is why I point and laugh at anyone who claims that English is an 'easy' language.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 18th March 2017 at 12:09 AM.

Trump's understanding of world languages is truly astounding. First covfefe, and now his post about Greek.

RE:

I was initially translated this as Pax per sympathiam, but 'sympathiam' is technically a Greek word which was only absorbed into Medieval Latin, not Classical Latin. In other words, "sympathiam" appeared after the fall of Rome, and thus it would not have been a word that the Romans would've ever used. There's technically nothing wrong with "sympathiam," but I just personally prefer to use 'pure' Classical/Roman Latin. This is not at all meant to be bagging out on Medieval Latin, but just my personal preference.

"Misericordia" in Latin means pity, mercy, compassion, love or kindness. It is actually a compound of two words - misereri (pity) and cor (heart). Coincidentally you'll notice that the Japanese word for 'empathy' (共感)... look at the second Kanji, 感. The top radical (咸) is used for its phonetic value (かん), whereas the bottom radical (心) means heart. And 感 basically means 'feeling' or 'sense.' 共 means 'with (others)' or 'together' -- e.g. 共学 = co-educational. So 共感 might literally translate as 'to feel or sense together with others' - in other words, to empathise.

Words in English which are descendant from misericordia are:
    + misericord = the relaxation of monastic rules
    + misericorde = an act of clemency, mercy or pity

English doesn't have any words that come from "cor" (heart). The word 'heart' is English, and 'cardio' is Greek. But of course, other languages do, such as French - as seen in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris, or Basilique du Sacré-Cœur in French. As you can see, the Latin "cor" has evolved into "cœur" in French.
    Corsican = core, Italian = cuore, Spanish = cuerdo etc. -- it's remained unchanged in Portuguese where it's still "cor."

Megatran Guest

Anyone speak Jive?

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Anyone speak Jive?
    https://movies.stackexchange.com/que...-jive-dialogue

Buahahahahahaha!!!!
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

The other day I was at ToyMate buying... toys. And the lady in front of me was providing her details to use her Toymate discount, and when asked for her surname she said, "DeJesus," pronounced as "Deh Jeezus." As the cashier was typing this in, I said to her, "You're mispronouncing your name on purpose so that you don't have to spell it out every time, aren't you?" She chuckled and agreed. Obviously if she were to pronounce the name correctly ("Deh Heh-zoos") then she'd have to spell it out 90% of the time. It's obviously just easier for her to say "Deh-Jeezus" even though it's technically incorrect.

But at least there's an easy Anglocised way for her to say the name that's easy for Anglophones to spell. Some Irish given names on the other hand!

On lil big shots there was a four year old russian who could speak seven languages! 😮

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    On lil big shots there was a four year old russian who could speak seven languages! 😮
    http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.p...&postcount=198