Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 71722232425262728293031323747 ... LastLast

Thread: LEGO

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Stompy, why not just sign up? No time like the present. This is a great first transaction as it'll be a local Melbourne pickup.
    I'm too scared I might get carried away with purchases via ebay. Gotta keep control. Lucky I'm not collecting G1 TF figs.

Also I realised there's no BIN price on the one I want. So it's most likely to go up.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Hey, I need to understand Bricklink a bit better. As I understand it, it's a bit like eBay for lego. They have the benefit of having one reference database, so you don't have to worry about discrepancies between how different sellers sell the same item (awesome idea). So, you can put together a shopping cart, but can you only buy from one vendor at a time? When/where do you see shipping charges? Who can give me a bit more of the skinny?
    Bricklink is simply a network of e-stores where every lego brick in existence has been catalogued into one gigantic database so its easy to find the parts you want. All the sellers are forced to put a unit price on each brick so it's easy to find the best price.

Shipping (and lego prices) will vary from store to store and most stores have a 'minimum value' for purchases which is usually $10. The trick is finding a single store with everything (or enough of) you want for a decent price so you don't don't have to shop at multiple stores and pay multiple shipping.

Some stores will give you a good idea of what to expect to pay for shipping on their 'shipping/postage information' page or even their home page. However the best way to get a shipping estimate is to place an order and wait for the invoice or simply shoot the seller an email.

Bricklink is great when you're after a particular brick or stumble across a pretty good store however in general you can get far more value for money buying in bulk from ebay.

I find with bricklink, if you have the patience, you can obtain all the pieces for a full set at a cost less than the actual set. However, you have do alot of searching between stores for parts but for me thats okay, since I enjoy the whole experience. From experience, I find the Euro-based sellers more reliable as the 2 US sellers I've gotten pieces from, their pieces weren't as high quality - one even had chew marks not listed in the description! (it should be noted the seller has since resent replacement pieces out). You will find it much easier to use bricklink if you learn what particular pieces are. Like if its a brick, plate, wedge, tile etc.... makes searching significantly easier. Use the reference option to look at particular sets and then see what category they are cataloged under. I have found bricklink to be the best place to do all my lego shopping.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    I'm with you, Kyle on not puttiing them on. I'm only putting them on ones that are my favourites which to date are Aero Booster and Golden Guardian. I like to be able to reuse the pieces later on as part of other things I want to build.

Kyle, those Exo-Force units are great. I'm so jealous of your Supernova!!! I'm trying to get one but short of paying $70 for one, I don't have many options
    Sign up to bricklink - I just ordered Supernova, Grand Titan and Stealth Hunter, all from the same seller MISB for $110 shipped.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Sign up to bricklink - I just ordered Supernova, Grand Titan and Stealth Hunter, all from the same seller MISB for $110 shipped.
    Was that a European seller?

And yes , I've already been looking at that site. Started about 3 nights ago and I'm very addicted to searching those stores.

Here's a question, how do you guys store Lego parts? Like when you disassemble them and then put the parts away for other projects/ideas? Do you just use one giant tub? Or do u put them in separate compartelmentalised tubs? I'm looking at a range of storage options atm for parts as the majority of my sets will get taken apart so any advice is welcomed
    Last edited by STL; 16th August 2008 at 12:36 PM.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    Nice!

Was that a European seller?

And yes , I've already been looking at that site. Started about 3 nights ago and I'm very addicted to searching those stores.

Here's a question, how do you guys store Lego parts? Like when you disassemble them and then put the parts away for other projects/ideas? Do you just use one giant tub? Or do u put them in separate compartelmentalised tubs? I'm looking at a range of storage options atm for parts as the majority of my sets will get taken apart so any advice is welcomed
    I haven't taken apart any of my Exo-Force, Batman and current Castle sets yet. Running out of space...

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Ziplock bags with the set number written on them with a sharpie, then store those in a big tub. If it's a large set, I tend to seperate based on brick types, such as "special" (transparent, printed, smooth tiled, other small bits), and then "the rest" in another bag.

If I use multiple bags, aside from the set number, I also put say, 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 on them too so I know how many bags there should be.

Same as instructions, put them in a large ziplock together too so they stay nice and flat and don't get that "weathered chewed up" look that some papers tend to get.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Ziplock bags for sets and in their box if I have it.

For loose parts....