Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: New PCC - Stunticons, Undertow and Salvage

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    You'd think they'd learn to do a bit more research into names after the Nexus Maximus affair. A simple Google search (with safe mode switched off ) probably would've let them know that the word could be offensive in some regions.
    Again, that would be under the assumption that they had any inkling that it was an offensive word in other regions, and logically, if they did have any inkling, they most likely would have avoided the word entirely.

See where this is going? You've already shown that Hasbro tries to be culturally sensitive when they are aware of a problem. If they didn't know there's a problem, how could they respond to it? Why would they do a google search for a word that, to Americans, seems perfectly reasonable?

Additionally, their lawyers and the US Trademark registration office evidently didn't see a problem with trademarking "spastic" either, further demonstrating that generally Americans have no idea that "spastic" is now considered to be an offensive term in some countries.

Is anybody else going to attempt to argue that they did somehow know that spastic was offensive but were too lazy to double check or simply didn't care? Because that would be a ridiculous argument.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    You see, to me, this is very much like the 'Gay' description argument in that whilst someone may use the term, they're more often than not never actually calling a person a Homosexual but saying they're crap - All they are doing is swapping out the word for another, much like the way other profane (I call descriptive ) words are used.
    Yes but the argument is:

Gay = Homosexual (although even that is not the original definition...)

Gay = Crap/Stupid/disapproved

Therefore,

Homosexual = Crap/Stupid/somewhat detestable.

By calling someone gay, in the context you describe, you're not saying that they are gay, but you are saying that they are displaying qualities similar to one who is gay, and the offence is in the association of homosexuals with your friends stupid actions/behaviours.

In this case, the issue in UK and Australia will be the association of the term "Spastic" with one of the evil Decepticon characters, thereby associating those who are medically spastic with characters that are bad/evil. Although a cleverly written bio that discussed his boundless energy (as the Americans use the term) would go some way to alleviate any negative connotations, but not completely.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    Is anybody else going to attempt to argue that they did somehow know that spastic was offensive but were too lazy to double check or simply didn't care? Because that would be a ridiculous argument.
    I can't see that anyone has been arguing that. The point is that when they name any toy, they should do a basic Google search to know they're going to avoid another Slapper or Nexus Maximus scenario. It's common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphim Prime View Post
    Yes but the argument is:

Gay = Homosexual (although even that is not the original definition...)

Gay = Crap/Stupid/disapproved

Therefore,

Homosexual = Crap/Stupid/somewhat detestable.

By calling someone gay, in the context you describe, you're not saying that they are gay, but you are saying that they are displaying qualities similar to one who is gay, and the offence is in the association of homosexuals with your friends stupid actions/behaviours.

In this case, the issue in UK and Australia will be the association of the term "Spastic" with one of the evil Decepticon characters, thereby associating those who are medically spastic with characters that are bad/evil. Although a cleverly written bio that discussed his boundless energy (as the Americans use the term) would go some way to alleviate any negative connotations, but not completely.
    I'd actually disagree with that Seraphim, as would one of my mates of 21 years who is a Homosexual.
    He himself has told me that people calling each other 'Gay' is not offensive to Homosexuals whatsoever, or at least that's how he and his partner feel, and it is his belief that it is only offensive once you've given it a context.

What you have done is exactly that, you've given 'Gay' the context of Homosexuality and hence associated all the other meanings that the word 'Gay' can have and pinned it to Homosexuals.
    You've displayed a clear case of over the top - political correctness, much like the fairy penguins and bah bah black sheep debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN
    See where this is going? You've already shown that Hasbro tries to be culturally sensitive when they are aware of a problem.
    In one instance. And even then it was completely unnecessary and should never have been done IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN
    If they didn't know there's a problem, how could they respond to it? Why would they do a google search for a word that, to Americans, seems perfectly reasonable?
    Apparently they did it for Slag... what gets me here is the seeming contradictory standards from Hasbro. They wanted to avoid using "Slag" in fear of offending people in the UK - even though they really wouldn't have... yet it was fine to use "Night Slash Cheetor," "Slapper" and now "Spastic" without any regard for potential offence.

I'm not saying that Hasbro _should_ care about this sort of thing, because really, in the correct context these words aren't offensive. "Night Slash Cheetor" is called so because he skulks around in the dark slashing people with his swords, not because he likes to go around urinating in late hours. "Slapper" got his name because... erm... he likes to slap people? Or maybe that's the sound he makes when he jumps? (because the original Car Robot name "Gusshar" is the Japanese onomatopoeia for the squishy sound a toad makes when it's stepping about). And yeah, even "Spastic" would be completely acceptable if it's a description of a highly excitable or energetic character. Fine, I get that.

But what I don't get it is how Hasbro wasn't willing to apply the same standards with "Slag." Just as 'spastic' is not an offensive word when used in the context of describing someone hypo (at least in the U.S.), then neither is "Slag" offensive in the context of smelted metal.

See... what gets me isn't so much that they're calling a toy "Spastic." What gets me is that Animated SLAG got totally gipped and was named "Snarl", all for the sake of Hasbro's New-Found International Political Correctness Sensitivity Policy(TM). And now it seems that they've abolished their NFIPCSP in allowing a toy to be called "Spastic." I dunno about yours, but my Animated Snarl is probably gonna be pret-ty Night-Slashed off when I tell him about this. Yup.

But anyway, I think Hasbro's International Division really should think about modifying this toy's name for its non-American Anglophone market.
    From wikipedia:
    "The word spastic is used differently depending on location which has led to some controversy and misunderstanding..... The word in common speech can also be used in a pejorative context. The level of severity depends on whether one understands it as it is used in the United States or the United Kingdom. In the UK it is considered an offensive way to refer to the disabled..... The current understanding of the word is well-illustrated by a BBC survey in 2003, which found that "spastic" was the second most offensive term in the UK relating to disability (retard was deemed most offensive). In 2007, Lynne Murphy, a linguist at the University of Sussex, described the term as being "one of the most taboo insults to a British ear"."

All they would have to do is print off some stickers with a variant name to stick over the packaging and instruction booklet. It's relatively inexpensive and, IMO, worth the effort in order to protect Hasbro's corporate image/reputation. Also, it might make U.S. completists go nuts and pay premium prices to buy some "foreign exclusive variant"... so maybe local collectors here could buy spares and try to hock them off at inflated prices to Americans. Hehehe... oh, I mean, NO! That's bad... don't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon
    I'd actually disagree with that Seraphim, as would one of my mates of 21 years who is a Homosexual.
    He himself has told me that people calling each other 'Gay' is not offensive to Homosexuals whatsoever, or at least that's how he and his partner feel, and it is his belief that it is only offensive once you've given it a context.
    I agree with Seraphim. The word "gay" when used as a synonym for something undesirable and negative (like "stupid") then makes it offensive because it is implying that gays are undesirable and negative people. Whether gay people personally find it offensive or not doesn't necessarily change that.

From wikipedia:
    "When used with a derisive attitude (e.g. "that was so gay"), the word gay is pejorative. While retaining its other meanings, it has also acquired "a widespread current usage" amongst young people, as a general term of disparagement. This pejorative usage has its origins in the late 1970s. Beginning in the 1980s and especially in the late 1990s, the usage as a generic insult became common among young people.

This usage of the word has been criticized as homophobic."

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon
    What you have done is exactly that, you've given 'Gay' the context of Homosexuality and hence associated all the other meanings that the word 'Gay' can have and pinned it to Homosexuals.
    I think everyone understands that when people use the word "gay" to describe something in a negative context (e.g. "Spastic is such a gay name"), that they are using it in the context of homosexuals as a synonym for negativity.

I think it's fine to use the word "gay" outside of that context though. For example, some people are now challenging the line from "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree" where it says "How gay your life must be." -- now, to take offense to that is just silly. Obviously they're using the word 'gay' in the context of being happy, and I don't think children should be insulated from it, but simply taught about context - because context is a major part of how languages work.

But having said that, there are some words that, when they become widely taken offensive, that it may be unwise to assign that word to the name of a children's toy. For example, imagine if I made a Transformer character whose tech specs profile describes him as being extremely sociable and a great communicator... so I call him "Intercourse." Contextually I'm using the word in its correct meaning. In reality, I'm probably gonna get complaints from parents. A colleague of mine found a school report written around 1900 which described a male student as having "excellent intercourse." The teacher was of course praising his social intercourse... but I reckon if I wrote that now in a student's report, I'd probably end up in a spot of trouble.

This thread is probably several pages longer than it needs to be, and although I don't want to make it go longer, I'm not going to let this pass without comment.

Personally, I wince every time somebody uses the word "gay" in a negative and do find it offensive. It's disappointing that so many people think this sort of casual derogatory language.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I agree with Seraphim. The word "gay" when used as a synonym for something undesirable and negative (like "stupid") then makes it offensive because it is implying that gays are undesirable and negative people. Whether gay people personally find it offensive or not doesn't necessarily change that.

From wikipedia:
    "When used with a derisive attitude (e.g. "that was so gay"), the word gay is pejorative. While retaining its other meanings, it has also acquired "a widespread current usage" amongst young people, as a general term of disparagement. This pejorative usage has its origins in the late 1970s. Beginning in the 1980s and especially in the late 1990s, the usage as a generic insult became common among young people.

This usage of the word has been criticized as homophobic."

I think everyone understands that when people use the word "gay" to describe something in a negative context (e.g. "Spastic is such a gay name"), that they are using it in the context of homosexuals as a synonym for negativity.

I think it's fine to use the word "gay" outside of that context though. For example, some people are now challenging the line from "Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree" where it says "How gay your life must be." -- now, to take offense to that is just silly. Obviously they're using the word 'gay' in the context of being happy, and I don't think children should be insulated from it, but simply taught about context - because context is a major part of how languages work.

But having said that, there are some words that, when they become widely taken offensive, that it may be unwise to assign that word to the name of a children's toy. For example, imagine if I made a Transformer character whose tech specs profile describes him as being extremely sociable and a great communicator... so I call him "Intercourse." Contextually I'm using the word in its correct meaning. In reality, I'm probably gonna get complaints from parents. A colleague of mine found a school report written around 1900 which described a male student as having "excellent intercourse." The teacher was of course praising his social intercourse... but I reckon if I wrote that now in a student's report, I'd probably end up in a spot of trouble.
    I personally don't understand the argument that a word can still be considered offensive if the people who are supposedly meant to be offended by it, aren't being offended - how does that make sense?

Also I agree that some, if not a lot, of people still use it in a context of negativeness towards Homosexuals - I pity them because obviously they don't know how incredibly normal Homosexuals are, what they choose to do behind closed doors is their own business but I digress.

I'm going to leave it at that because whilst obviously I have differing opinions to others, I don't think this topic of discussion is really in-line with the thread and I don't want to offend anybody any further.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    This thread is probably several pages longer than it needs to be, and although I don't want to make it go longer, I'm not going to let this pass without comment.

Personally, I wince every time somebody uses the word "gay" in a negative and do find it offensive. It's disappointing that so many people think this sort of casual derogatory language.
    I agree Paulbot, as I am a cause and a contributor to that fact so I'm going to discontinue my discussions on the topic of names, as this thread is becoming incredibly derailed and I'm part of the guilty party.

In a vein attempt to swing things back on topic, I think it is a rather odd choice that they've decided to homage Dragstrip as the leader of these 'Stunticons' as I would love to see a new mold in the visage of G1 Motormaster.
    (Scourge/Nemesis has stolen all his thunder and simple repaints suck! )

I'm not a huge fan of PCCs really, I am curious to see a Manta Ray repaint of the boat though if someone wanted to photoshop one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    I personally don't understand the argument that a word can still be considered offensive if the people who are supposedly meant to be offended by it, aren't being offended - how does that make sense?
    because you cant account for 100% of the people in this case. there's bound to be someone offended even if their numbers are minor.

Also I agree that some, if not a lot, of people still use it in a context of negativeness towards Homosexuals - I pity them because obviously they don't know how incredibly normal Homosexuals are, what they choose to do behind closed doors is their own business but I digress.
    I would say most people don't grow up around homosexuals which is why it is a difficult topic later in life. I didn't actually know any until after the age of 20+

I'm going to leave it at that because whilst obviously I have differing opinions to others, I don't think this topic of discussion is really in-line with the thread and I don't want to offend anybody any further.
    It was an interesting read for me.

In a vein attempt to swing things back on topic, I think it is a rather odd choice that they've decided to homage Dragstrip as the leader of these 'Stunticons' as I would love to see a new mold in the visage of G1 Motormaster.
    You could replace him with the huffer repaint - crankcase.

I'm not a huge fan of PCCs really, I am curious to see a Manta Ray repaint of the boat though if someone wanted to photoshop one?
    I haven't bought a single PCC at all yet, actually leaving that to family to gift me for christmas

Hasbro's statement about the Transformer product named "Spastic"

When they say no longer for europe, does that include australia?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    Hasbro's statement about the Transformer product named "Spastic"

When they say no longer for europe, does that include australia?
    I thought we were considered part of the Asian market? Isn't that why we're sometimes we're referred to as Australasia?