Thread: Transformers Trivial Pursuit categories?

Default Transformers Trivial Pursuit categories?

I was thinking yesterday about the custom made Transformers Trivial Pursuit game that the Hartmans (I think) did up around BotCon 2000-2004, trying to remember the six categories... and wondering what six question categories would work - themes, eras, series, or something else.
    Having a look at the categories of other sets - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...rsuit_editions - it can be very vague or general.

What would you have as the six categories?
    I'll post up mine a little later.

Well its a bit hard to do storyline or character stuff in a generalized way as it all changes with every iteration (G1 Prime a solid dependable leader whereas Animated Prime was a relative novice leadership wise and Movieverse Prime isn't adverse to the odd killing spree). So in that regard stuff would have to be specific such as "What character in the G1 cartoon went from Grumpy to cheerful when Megatron stole one of his parts?"

But for 6 catagories I'd say

Transformer Comics
    Example Q's:
    *Which Decepticon Leader scrawled on a wall "Are all Dead" on a Marvel G1 comic cover?
    *Which Decepticon jet managed to take down Omega Supreme in the Dreamwave comics?

Transformer Cartoons
    Example Q's:
    *Which two classic Constructicon characters showed up in Transformers Animated?
    *In Transformers Cybertron, who rules the Speed Planet?

Transformer Movies:
    Example Q's:
    *Who was the first Autobot character to die in the 1986 animated movie?
    *Which former Autobot leader defected in Dark of the Moon?

Transformer Toys:
    Example Q:
    *In what year were the Generation One Seacons first released?
    *In the Titans Return toyline - what is the name of Blitzwings Titan Master?

Transformers History:
    Example Q's:
    *Before the toyline was rebranded 'Transformers', what toyline did many of the G1 figures first get released in?
    *What year was the first live action Transformers movie released?

Transformers General Knowledge:
    Example Q'S:
    *What Decepticon has the catchphrase 'To punish and enslave'?
    *What was the name of the Transformers Convention that had its last run in 2016?

One set of categories I was thinking of, to try to cover as much as possible of the Brand would be eras...
    - 1980s (mostly Gen1)
    - 1990s (mostly Beast era)
    - 2000s (mostly Unicron Trilogy and Animated)
    - 2010s (mostly TFPrime/RID and Prime Wars)
    - New Movies (Movie Universe, because next year it will have been around for a 3rd of the time Transformers has existed)
    - General Knowledge (for questions that span multiple eras or don't relate to a specific era).

The other set is almost the same as Trev's, with Toys, comics, cartoons (which covers the 1986 movie) Live movies, and General Knowledge (for questions that don't fit into the other categories). The sixth category could then be "behind the scenes" dealing with the people and businesses who have created elements of the Brand over the 30+ years.

But let's see what other ideas there are...

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    One set of categories I was thinking of, to try to cover as much as possible of the Brand would be eras...
    - 1980s (mostly Gen1)
    - New Movies (Movie Universe, because next year it will have been around for a 3rd of the time Transformers has existed)
    - General Knowledge (for questions that span multiple eras or don't relate to a specific era).
    This is what I'd go for, really would separate the experts from the weekenders. I would fail badly at new movies category

General would be good for pre-TF and fandom Q's (like botcon, websites and forums)
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

My thoughts were

Toys
    Cartoons
    Comics
    Live Action Movies
    Japan (covering toys/cartoons)

And either a "General knowledge" type option for everything else (Merchandise, books)

Or keeping the bulk of questions about toys, cartoons and comics focused on G1 (including BW) and having a category for "not-G1" for questions about the RID, Unicron Triology, Animated, and Prime/RID toys and cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    - 1980s (mostly Gen1)

The other set is almost the same as Trev's, with Toys, comics, cartoons (which covers the 1986 movie) Live movies, and General Knowledge (for questions that don't fit into the other categories). The sixth category could then be "behind the scenes" dealing with the people and businesses who have created elements of the Brand over the 30+ years.

But let's see what other ideas there are...
    I'd go for this too. I like this idea.

My hubs recently got the Star Trek Trivial Pursuit Anniversary Edition and it somewhat follows this format by breaking the cards up into the individual TV shows and movies (eras) and then having categories (crew, aliens, locations, starfleet, science, ships).

I'd take a leaf out of that book with cards broken up into eras spanning all content (comics/tv/movies/toys) and have the following catagories:
    Autobots, Decepticons, Other Characters, locations (and possibly general knowledge), science and weapons, toys.

Before anyone complains, I did seriously think about adding Beast Wars as a catagory to cover predacons and maximals but as they don't span all eras I'm not sure if that would work.

Would love a Transformers Trivial Pursuit but imagine the research behind it would be massive!

I'm surprised there isn't one out there already! Although possibly more effort required than the monopoly game 😂