Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 33434849505152535455 LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Superior Spidey was such a great read while initially I didn't think I would like it, it turned out really well and was disappointed when it "ended" at least Spider-Verse has been entertaining to a degree confusing at it feels like it jumps all over the place but not bad but all the upcoming spin offs might be average,

Scarlett Spider was another series I was disappointed ended.. and for that fact New Warriors...

but with the Renew your Vows "teaser" online now I guess we can see that spidey is going back to the "Norm"

one thing I would like them to do is bring back Richard Rider in a regular series, I like the current Nova but I would like to see him back and the recent original sin arc in Guardians was probably one of the best reads from that event.

I guess like everything else... we wait and see..
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Long time Spidey collector. I really enjoyed Superior Spiderman and unlike the Spidey we have been getting since Peter's return, Superior actualy had good stories with character development.

To me I think we have been introduced to Silk and rushed into the Spiderverse event far too soon. I was really looking forward to seeing how Peter was going to put his life back together and how he would react to finding out all the things Spock did while he was in control. I guess they will get round to some of this stuff sooner or later but it really disapointed me that it really has not been dealt with yet.

I also think Dan Slott, while having an excellent run on Spidey, is due for a change. I would really like to see someone else have a go. I am glad that Humberto Ramos has been given a rest on art duties too. I originaly loved his work but now I am tired of it too and appreciate a more realistic look like we are getting atm.

On a different note Moonknight and Daredevil are still yet to dissapoint me and I am also enjoying reading Death Vigil and Birthright. DC has let me down and I have dropped Green Arrow, Teen Titans and might drop Grayson unless it picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Dear DC fans
    How did you cope with the publisher rebooting continuity and throwing out decades of stories (except for the ones that sell well in bookstores)?
    From
    A Marvel fan
    I don't care, reboots are just a bigger retcon. The stories still exist, whether they "count" is meaningless.

Strict adherence decades of continuity hurts storytelling, hence why retcons are everywhere, people swallow that but turn their nose up at a full reboot? Sliding timescales are fine but reboots aren't?

"This pretend story isn't real! ;_;"
    Newsflash, none of it is real and people need to get over it. Enjoy good books, never follow a series for anything other than good writing and art.

I cope because I'm a rational adult. Comics will forever be held back due to publisher worship instead of enjoying a good writer. We'll happily eat shit if it has our preferred logo/character on it. And that's sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    I don't care, reboots are just a bigger retcon. The stories still exist, whether they "count" is meaningless.

Strict adherence decades of continuity hurts storytelling, hence why retcons are everywhere, people swallow that but turn their nose up at a full reboot? Sliding timescales are fine but reboots aren't?

"This pretend story isn't real! ;_;"
    Newsflash, none of it is real and people need to get over it. Enjoy good books, never follow a series for anything other than good writing and art.

I cope because I'm a rational adult. Comics will forever be held back due to publisher worship instead of enjoying a good writer. We'll happily eat shit if it has our preferred logo/character on it. And that's sad.
    That post you quoted wasn't all that serious.

I've been reading Marvel books for more a long time and each is part of one big story, and there's an appeal to that. A full reboot means that the story I've been following ends and that makes it easy to say "yep, I'm done". DC's done this a few times but I've never collected DC books.

I'll accept a retcon as they add dimension and twists to the ongoing story. Sliding time scales only affect the cultural references.

A reboot to me says the old story is done. Here's a new one, but the new one tends to be too similar to the old one. Like the Amazing Spider-Man movies and how they just go over the same points as the first set of movies (that went over the same stories from 40 years earlier).

I'm not a fan of seeing the same stories told over and over and this idea that everything has to be the same as when I started reading it. It'd be interesting to see comic book writers do something new and different with characters than to see them retell the origin stories again.

If Marvel's Secret Wars produces good new stories, that'll be great, but if it's just a chance to reboot everything back to a 'classic' status quo (Steve's Captain America again, Thor's male again, Wolverine's not dead) that's boring.

I'd rather dump continuity all together, strangles writers too much. When a writer is done with a series, the next shouldn't be hamstrung by the predecessor.

"I want Aunt May to be in my book, but she's dead! Lets make it she was a clone or an alien taco or some bullshit so justify having her back!"

Cut the crap and tell the story you wan't, don't spend issues to align the universe where you need it to start the real story.

I do realise I'm the minority here and the majority of comic readers sperg out about their precious 60 year timeline of a teenager.

If the marvel reboot or whatever gives something as good as the nu52 Azzarello Wonder Woman book it'll be worth it. However I assume they will make it more like the movies to the detriment of the books themselves.

I guess the alternative was

I with thor many many year ago ran a bunch of stories over 18 issues where he became the allfather, lost his eye lost his arm and In the Final Issue it was just a dream or vision what might happen if he continued on his course.. what a bust

they could use that again

it was all a big fat Spidey Dream as he lay dying on the bed before they discover it was doc ock that switched minds and fix it with the combined brilliance of reed stark and beast resetting the timeline before any of those other stories happened 2 years ago.

Uncle ben is still dead...

I guess we just wait and see what they dish up could be a good time to shuffle the pull list...
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Looking back at this thread many months later. From what I can see the post-Secret Wars, "All New All Different" Marvel Universe is basically a line wide "A Wizard Did" excuse for any status quo change which is pretty yawn worthy. And the X-Men's status quo appears to be "mutants are almost extinct" again which is insulting to people in a minority like me. Marvel's been pretty crap on this recently. Overall Marvel have made a pretty good jumping off point.

Anyway, on an actually unrelated note, I came to this thread to mention that I've got a bunch of old 90s Marvel comics, mostly X-books, that I want to get rid of and if anyone was interested to let me know.

Default Comic King... Done!

Someone was going to mention this eventually:

http://behindthepanels.net/comic-kin...-closing-down/

Just got my Harley Quinn Power Girl book (collection of the 6 comic-crossover mini-series)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Just got my Harley Quinn Power Girl book (collection of the 6 comic-crossover mini-series)
    Love Amanda Conner's art!

Been buying comics very sporadically over the last 5 odd years. Before then was reading and collecting since the late 80s and I used to have quite the pull list but pared that down to trades and digital comics to save $ and space. Lately I've been lurking on FB comic groups and have been pleasantly surprised at the apparent worth of some of the stuff I have. I say "apparent" as I'm likely not to sell them as I want to pass them onto my Autobubs and "apparent" as its how much someone wants to pay. Not talking massive early retirement fund gains here but nice enough to know that for every dud decision (buying 4-5 different copies of X-Force #1 cause hey, different trading card! ) there is something like a New Mutants #98 (first Deadpool) sitting around