Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure what to think of TF Animated..

Default I'm not sure what to think of TF Animated..

I watched the first ep on Youtube tonight.

Hmmm....

I like the Toys, and the Art Style.

The fight scenes seem pretty cool, but the way they portray the Formers as almost human, moving a large screen tv....

I'm really not sure what I think of it, I want to like it.

Anyone actually a fan? Is it any good from your perspective?

Season 1 is a bit slow, gets better towards the end. Season 2 is better and season 3 is better still.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Like Tober said. Plenty of G1 nostalgia catchphrases and stuff shown here and there like easter eggs on some scenes are scattered in various episodes. Season one was more of a hit and miss, prolly Hasbro still feeling and figuring out what direction they wanted the animation to go to. Also I read somewhere that Animated is a filler line (as was Classic) should the Movie franchise bomb out they tried to thread slowly to feel the market/fans response to it I figure. Then that blasted movie somehow got blockbuster hits which got the Animated (which a better IMO) line cancelled altogether so they can concentrate on marketing the fuglyformers of that line. To this day everyone is still waiting if Hasbro will break their tradition of NOT ISSUING a G1 esque Arcee that is in the show. As far as the episodes go. I'tll definitely get better as the season progresses....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Yes there are a lot of people who are "actually fans".

There are reviews of nearly every episode of Animated in the reviews area.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Yes there are a lot of people who are "actually fans".

There are reviews of nearly every episode of Animated in the reviews area.
    I dont mean it in an offensive way.

I just saw Bumblebee playing video games, and it kind of threw me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaul View Post
    Anyone actually a fan? Is it any good from your perspective?
    I am. LOVE it.

Animated is like candies.

I dont mean it in an offensive way.

I just saw Bumblebee playing video games, and it kind of threw me off.
    Bumblebee playing video games later becomes a comedic plot device during a Season 3 episode.

I think it's okay. I enjoyed some parts of it but really cringed at other parts. IMHO it's still not as good as Beast Wars, but it's not without merit either.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaul
    The fight scenes seem pretty cool, but the way they portray the Formers as almost human, moving a large screen tv....
    Yeah, I've never liked it when Transformers - as a race of alien robots from space - are portrayed as being too human. Animated makes this mistake on several occasions, but at other times they do try to remind the audience that they are aliens, such as when Bumblebee and Bulkhead first try to provide fuel for Sari in the form of oil, then later rotten food scraps!

And to be fair, portraying the Transformers isn't a problem that only plagues Animated (though it does happen too much IMO) - it's something that's occured since G1. Even Simon Furman occasionally does it too. In fact, the one writer who consistently portrays Transformers as being otherworldly is Bob Budiansky!

It's a balancing act - on one hand you need to establish the fact that the Transformers are an alien species, but on the other hand, you need to give them enough anthropomorphic traits so that audiences can empathise and care about the characters.

And that's one thing I didn't really like about Animated, overall IMHO it wasn't all that well balanced. It was kinda hit and miss with really great and cringeworthy moments happening all over the place - particularly with Season 1. To the Animated writers' credit, I think they realised this problem because in Seasons 2 and 3 we saw better consistency in the kind and type of stories being written; there were still some really cringe worthy moments in Seasons 2 and 3 but overall with less intensity and frequency than Season 1 (except for the Headmaster - god I loathe that character - though I loved the way he got pwned in the end ).

P.S.: One thing I really like about Animated though are the number of characters who are primarily operating their own agendas e.g.:
    + Lockdown: First time we've seen a mercenary in a TF cartoon!
    + Blackarachnia: Essentially joined the Decepticons because she felt the Autobots abandoned her, but doesn't truly care about the Decepticon cause - her only mission is to rid herself of her organic half (like BM Megatron!)
    + Sentinel Prime: A massive d***wad - and I really don't like this character, but it's interesting to have an Autobot who's sense of morality is quite screwed up.
    + Wasp(inator): A bit of tragic character who is driven purely by revenge against the one who wronged him. But as Bulkhead pointed out, he was already a jerk before that incident anyway.
    + Swindle: As Megatron pointed out, he'd sell his own motherboard for the right price.
    + Mixmaster and Scavenger: Greedy simpletons - though Scavenger seemed more morally salvageable than Mixmaster.
    + The Dinobots: The Animated Dinobots lack the sapience to even understand what factions are, let alone truly align themselves to one!
    ...and I've probably left a few others out, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 20th July 2009 at 10:54 AM.

Unhappy All my favourite lines are fillers...

Just wait 'til you get to the opening episodes of season 3 (Transwarped)...

It's easily my favourite series to date. The toys are mostly amazing, series-wise it is hit and miss but the hits are great and the misses are rarely painful (mostly just dull, S1 is the worst for this), the human villain episodes (while mostly lame IMO) at least have a rationale (to keep the 'cons a 'real' threat by not having them easily beaten all the time a la G1), it's got more easter eggs than the Easter Bunny, the characterisation is just gold (with a real distinction between Autobots and Decepticons weaponry-wise - they really did push the civilian/military hardware distinction), they keep an overarching storyline throughout the whole series, Sari is probably the least annoying 'human character' ever - the list goes on and on, but as ever it's better to watch it for yourself and make up your own mind.
    My only real complaints are 1: it's stopped already and there are still so many characters who didn't get toys, and 2: the series finale felt sorta rushed and doesn't really tie everything up (hopefully we'll see a straight-to-DVD movie or summat someday but I'm not holding my breath).
    Basically, it's the first series that felt like it was for-the-fans-by-the-fans to me, and it is and ever shall be sorely missed.

Like Beast Wars, Animated gets better the longer it goes on.

There are a number of ordinary episodes, but often a very good episode follows a fairly poor one, so it all balances out.

Its a shame it was canned to make way for robot testicles and other hallmarks of the movie line.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I'm not sure what to think of TF Animated..
    If you don't know what to think, then try thinking it's one of the best Transformers shows ever, only rivalled by Beast Wars, Beast Machines and Masterforce. You'll then be thinking along the right lines.