Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Info and Activities > Ratbat's Transformers Reviews

Sightings/Sales

View Poll Results: Bumblebee Movie - worth watching?
Excellent - must see it 30 75.00%
It was good, but not great 7 17.50%
Average 1 2.50%
Disappointing - avoid it 2 5.00%
I don't intend to see it 0 0%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 17th January 2019, 03:18 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post

For that matter, what is 'heart', anyway? The idea that movies have 'heart' or 'soul' is something of an issue - often movies are criticised for not having it - yet these things are very much subjective and don't even have an 'agreed' definition.
Musicians talk about something similar with the term "feel" -it's all subjective, as you've mentioned.

Chances are, if you've really enjoyed a movie & felt some level of positive emotional connection, you're more likely to say that it has heart or soul.
Old 17th January 2019, 04:52 PM
Rank 3 - Basic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
The aircraft and vehicles seem to be in scale with other...

And feel free to freeze-frame watch the combination transformation for Dragonstorm and Volcanicus. It's so cheap and lazy (only, ya know, with double the budget of Bumblebee).
Thanks for all that photo collating. I'm too lazy for most such work.

I agree a lot of transformations in the movies between Transformers (2007) and Bumblebee were lazy and just whatever the designers felt like. I was particularly appalled by the pixelated morphing of the fake Earth Transformers in Age Of Extinction.

As to scale - I'm happy overall with its presentation in Bumblebee. Most of it happens too fast for one to be bothered by any imperfections (and I do think they exist - pretty sure Bumblebee shrunk in robot mode a lot of the time to fit a scene).

For toys my own preference is for what I call 'scale ranking' rather than absolute scale. A plane and a car can be out of scale as long as the plane is still somewhat bigger than the car (as well as taller in robot mode). As with many other things this is a product of my G1 conditioning.

I wish there were two size classes within current 'deluxe' to accommodate this. I should possibly start my own post on the thorny topic of size classes...
Old 20th January 2019, 03:42 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Is the way that Bumblebee takes out Dropkick a finisher from a Mortal Combat style game or from somewhere else? I thought I had seen something like it before.
Old 11th April 2019, 11:28 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

I feel ripped off for having paid money for this pile of cliched garbage. I only lasted about 30 minutes before throwing in the towel.

If you're having trouble sleeping, I've found your cure.
Old 28th April 2019, 10:08 PM
Rank 3 - Basic Member

Thumbs up

finally got to see it on dvd. it was really different and much better than bayverse.

the cyberton scenes may be problematic to continuity, but as an 80's child i was absolutely thrilled to see the bots done "right." screw bayverse and his twisted grey metallic blurs. we need a pink heroic arcee!

one thing i'd mention is the cliffjumper bit. my ms4 was quite sad for him, i had to reassure her it's just a story. pretty rough treatment for the poor old fella. just because he's not human does not make it any less tragic or graphic, at least in the minds of kids anyway.

but i wanted to share here that the dvd included deleted scenes and outtakes that were quite interesting. john cena was actually quite funny and the movie could have been really different if they had used some of his goofy humour. also there was more character development for charlie and her family, not sure why it was omitted, but it explained her mysterious hair cut. there was an incident with excess energon creating household robots, and there was even a discussion about gobots!

so it's worth renting or buying the dvd, just for the extra bits, even if you've seen the movie. i hope they make more like it.