Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumblebee movie to be a reboot?

Default Bumblebee movie to be a reboot?

We've had some interviews from Bumblebee Movie actors Hailee Steinfeld and John Cena, as well as Micheal Bay, all suggesting that the Bumblebee Movie could be the reboot that the series needs.... and it might not have been intentional to reveal this, so it could also be a coordinated red herring to mislead us (like Michael Bay telling us over and over again that Megatron would not be returning for TF2).

From Michael:
    Well 4.5 billion dollars later, 100s of millions of people saw the Transformers movies – I’d say it had great run. Now it’s time to take this franchise in a totally new direction.
    From Hailee:
    I think that we’ll see how the first one does, how people receive it and how it turns out
    From John:
    a wonderful reboot
    Last edited by griffin; 14th December 2017 at 06:05 PM.

I am looking forward to the BB movie, even more so if its a reboot.

I'm hoping it's not a reboot. Love them or hate them, the movies have had a lot of work put into them, and the writer's room supposedly generated some 14 stories, so it would be a shame to do a reset just because one movie wasn't a super hit; I also feel that reboots have become a quick and easy, almost lazy way out for franchises. All that said, a tonal shift or 'change in direction' could be considered a 'reboot' of sorts.

By the way, your link to the Michael Bay statement links to the wrong page. It's meant to be this one: http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/12/06/m...anchise-354895

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a soft reboot of sorts, a re-definition of the style of the robot designs, something less 'bag of knives'. especially since they are going back to using the G1 alt mode for Bumblebee himself.

The other driver for a harder reboot, to me, is that the existing movies have done such a good job of contradicting and ignoring each other that it wouldn't hurt if they started from scratch and tried to be more coherent going forward.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

The first two quotes just tell us what we already know: that the premise of the films (focus on a solo character and set in the 80s) makes it a different type of film to the existing five. That difference would probably be enough for one of the actors to call it a "reboot" without actually meaning "continuity reboot".

I imagine this is more of an X-Men First Class type of reboot rather than an Amazing Spider-Man type.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    By the way, your link to the Michael Bay statement links to the wrong page. It's meant to be this one: http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/12/06/m...anchise-354895
    Ooops... fixed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I imagine this is more of an X-Men First Class type of reboot rather than an Amazing Spider-Man type.
    My first thought was Star Trek's reboot, but X-Men was the same sort of thing with a time traveller changing the course of their history, leaving us with the same characters (with some differences) and significant events being played out again.
    I've actually been surprised that after five Transformers movies that have each dealt with different time periods as the main plot device, we haven't yet had a time-travel or time-machine plot device. With serious science fiction like we have in Transformers, it's kind of expected, so it won't be a surprise to me if they have it in the Bumblebee movie... resetting things in some way, that can allow them to play out the history of Transformers again, without less contradictions.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was a soft reboot of sorts, a re-definition of the style of the robot designs, something less 'bag of knives'. especially since they are going back to using the G1 alt mode for Bumblebee himself.
    Not that I disagree with what you said however Bumblebee had the Beetle alt-mode before he became a Camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    Not that I disagree with what you said however Bumblebee had the Beetle alt-mode before he became a Camaro.
    not in the movies though. there was a beetle at the car yard but he was the old Camaro next to it.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    not in the movies though. there was a beetle at the car yard but he was the old Camaro next to it.
    Oh yeah, you're right. Silly me mis-remembering.

Default I have no hype for this movie at all.

When ever I hype for movies I get disappointed, I will never hype for a Transformers movie ever again, neither will I hype for the toy.