Page 15 of 42 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819202535 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    Scourge is '86. Not sure what difference that would make though.
    As long as he isn't the target master version ('87).

But I was saying this because someone (it may have been Kup) said that a lot of the '87 toys didn't react well to H2O2 and would get weird white spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post

But I was saying this because someone (it may have been Kup) said that a lot of the '87 toys didn't react well to H2O2 and would get weird white spots.
    Yeah I saw it work well on a scourge Kup did - was my inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    it's looking very good!
    Thanks, hes gone from being at the back of the 'sweeps' to being up next to their leader - TM Scourge!

i think what kup meant was that H2O2 didnt react well with the blue plastic on the little target masters buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The Slugslinger dual cockpit has finally finished restoring much of it's color. Unfortunately it is far from perfect.

The color isn't exactly like the original as it has a bleached sort of look. On top of that much of the surface has been damaged with odd powdery looking spots - This seems to be a common plastic surface reaction to the H2O2 with 1987 toys. Oddly enough, the unyellowed surface area under the plastic is unspoiled.
    but it will still have a worn and damaged look on the surface of the plastic. Due to this, I would not classify the result as a fix.

Unfortunately the surface defects don't come out in photos but are very visible in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by kup
    Note that whitening of 1987 toys have not been successful. Please read my last post regarding Slugslinger before you proceed.

For some reason, 1987 toys react badly to the H2O2.
    ^^Found the posts I was talking about. Also Kup said i was specifically a problem with '87 figures - Scourge is either '86 (original version) or '87 (targetmaster version), which is why I was wondering what version this Scourge was.

Oh, only just realised SC said this was TM Scourge.
    So maybe I will have a shot at restoring my TriggerHappy figure - which is also an '87 figure and has only light yellowing.

I can't dismantle him though, so rather than dunking him in H2O2, I'm going to try to make the H2O2 in paste form. Not sure if anyone else on the boards has tried this yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

I can't dismantle him though, so rather than dunking him in H2O2, I'm going to try to make the H2O2 in paste form. Not sure if anyone else on the boards has tried this yet. I'll let you know how it goes.
    I accidentally bought Hydrogen Peroxide in creme form one time (I use the bottle as a door stop now, lol), not sure if it works or not though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    I accidentally bought Hydrogen Peroxide in creme form one time (I use the bottle as a door stop now, lol), not sure if it works or not though.
    Hah, you can bleach your hair for a lifetime!

where did you buy it - cream form H202?
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Hah, you can bleach your hair for a lifetime!
    Haha, yeap look out for the blonde ninja at the next Nexus.

liege, I bought it from a Priceline - It's called Creme Developer by Innovative. Ooh la la!

Haha, yeap look out for the blonde ninja at the next Nexus.

liege, I bought it from a Priceline - It's called Creme Developer by Innovative. Ooh la la!
    I've used that! On my toys, I mean. It seems to do the same job with whitening, the only issue I had was that I found part of the toy was slightly warped afterwards, but I'm not sure if that was the case beforehand and I just hadn't noticed or if it was a side-effect of one of the other ingredients in the creme.

^^Found the posts I was talking about. Also Kup said i was specifically a problem with '87 figures - Scourge is either '86 (original version) or '87 (targetmaster version), which is why I was wondering what version this Scourge was.

Oh, only just realised SC said this was TM Scourge.
    So maybe I will have a shot at restoring my TriggerHappy figure - which is also an '87 figure and has only light yellowing.

That's right. All 1987 'master figures I tested including the main character and Targetmaster have proven not to react well to H2O2. Although I have never tried restoring Headmasters, Eruntalon's Fort Max reacted badly to it so this may also include the '87 Headmasters range.

I have personally tried to restore two 'greened' Targetmaster Scourges. They have certainly cleared up very well to an acceptable color but at the same time I noticed that some very lite 'spotting' developed around the edges and curves of the wing piece and some other lite 'stains' on the surface. However it is very lite and not very noticeable (camera wouldn't pick it up) and certainly overwhelmingly better than the 'green'.

On the other hand the yellowed scourge which you have seen me restoring on this thread is actually a 1986 release and this has exhibited no ill reactions whatsoever. The color restored nicely and evenly throughout the surface.

As strange as this may be, I have only encountered this bad reactions to H2O2 on 1987 figures. I have tried it on 1988 and 1989 figures with no bad effect. 1984-1986 figures also respond well to it.
    Last edited by kup; 9th November 2010 at 09:55 AM.