Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Transformers Generations Voyager Sandstorm

Default Toy Review - Transformers Generations Voyager Sandstorm

Series - Generations
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Voyager
    Wave - 3
    New/remould/redeco - Significant redeco/retool of Generations Springer
    Released here - not available in Australia (released globally June 2013)
    Approximate Retail Price - $40-50
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Armoured car, VTOL aircraft
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Triple-changer
    Main Colours - Orange, amber and black
    Main Accessories - missile, missile launcher/gun

Stock image

Not as nice as Springer and is more of a panel/shellformer. Having said that, it does fundamentally work in giving us a reasonably solid Classicsverse Sandstorm toy. I find the car mode to be the better of the alt modes. I wish the arms were better incorporated into the VTOL mode, but instead they kinda just hang along the sides. It's not bad per se, but certainly not as well done as Springer. But I do appreciate that the designers are trying to make Sandstorm more distinctive from Springer and not just 'copping out' with a simple repaint with a few new parts. So while not as good as Springer, Sandstorm's still a reasonably good toy in his own right.

Recommended.

His rear wheels in buggy mode look a bit too big, making them look like a clear add-on/after-thought kinda deal. Also, too much kibble on the back of robot.

But like Goktimus I do appreciate the designer's effort to make this mold as different as possible to Springer. A very solid and clever retool on an already fantastic mold.

I'd buy this for sure! Haha...
    I'm a real fan of this toy... even better than Generations Springer in my reckoning.

I have lots of photos and review here - http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.hk/...ns-wave-2.html

Extract of review:

I'd like to say that Generations Sandstorm is an awesome figure. I am very impressed. It's hard to recall another recent year release that is so awesome (but I have not opened my Generations Springer yet, sue me!). In terms of playability, ease of transformation and poseability, it is one of the best in the Classics / Generations line. It is intricate, but not overly complicated.

Box / packaging - 7 out of 10
    Instructions - 7 out of 10
    Robot mode - 7.5 out of 10
    Dune Buggy mode - 8 out of 10 (works really well, all panels and parts fit snugly)
    VTOL Aircraft Mode - 8.5 out of 10
    Overall - 8 out of 10

Heroic's recommendation? BUY!

Yeah he is pretty good, nice and tight compared to that mess called Blitzwing.

I prefer the VTOL mode to the buggy mode, the giant wheels just look forced, as If some hoon decided to put giant wheels on their armoured car.

I think the problem with the rear wheels isn't so much their size, but the fact they don't line up with the front wheels. I also think he looks better with his g1-esque backpack/tail thing flipped down in robot mode and his turbine's angled diagonally backwards.

Got him in the mail today, looks great. I just wish Hasbro could get their yellow paint to match their yellow plastic. I have Takara figures that match yellow paint to plastic well, not sure why Hasbro can't figure it out. Also some yellow plastic doesn't match the rest of the yellow plastic, ie: hips don't match thighs.

EDIT: Yellow plastic seems kinda weak, I've broken the tab on the landing gear and have a stress mark on another tab.
    Last edited by DELTAprime; 6th August 2013 at 07:35 PM.

I've yet to open him but he is a spectacularly stunning toy in his box. The yellows and oranges just pop, and the light piping is brilliant. The images posted by everyone do not see to do his colours justice imo.

Since he is fundamentally the same toy as Springer, I've said he is certainly worth a purchase, I sent about $33 to get him posted from Amazon.

Can't wait to have a transform or three, keep going back to Springer and Sandstorm has such prettier colours.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The giant wheels make both the VTOL and the buggy mode look forced.

Poor effort.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

It was designed as Sandstorm first it seems, big wheels and all (maybe not so big). Nick Roche posted his concept design from 2010 on Twitter over night.

got this today and was quite disappointed.

the biggest issue is the huge wheels as everyone has pointed out. in car mode, they just look so ugly.

robot more is its one saving grace. the colours are very nice and the two tones of orange pop out very well when standing next to other TFs. The headsculpt is really nicely done and the light piping is better in Sandstorm than Springer.

i imagine my Sandstorm to be hovering off the ground maneuvering and blasting away akin to Space Harrier.

all in all its still a great toy even if the alt modes are better on the G1 toy, just not as great as i was hoping it to be.
    Last edited by kaiden; 8th August 2013 at 11:17 AM.