View Poll Results: MP Grimlock - worth buying?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

15 55.56%
  • Only if cheap

9 33.33%
  • No

1 3.70%
  • Not interested

2 7.41%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Toy Review - Hasbro Masterpiece Grimlock

Quote Originally Posted by gdmetro View Post
    Are there any site/resources anyone can link me to clarify on the scale of grimlock and the other autobots?
    See here buddy
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Yeah but animators and artists frequently ignored that scale guide.

Quote Originally Posted by gdmetro
    Just a minor question:
    Do you think he scales properly with classics figures?

A minor reason I bought him was to display on my classics shelf, as some have said they would do. He is quite large compared to the deluxes and voyagers- is he meant to tower over them in g1 continuity- or even comics? I tried to watch some g1 eps to give some clarity- but still very unsure. I mean is he meant to be taller than prime and magnus?
    As an adult I don't think I qualify to answer a question for minors.

Oh wait, I'm emotionally immature... yay. Grimlock was portrayed as being taller than Optimus Prime by about half a head, but usually wasn't "towering".

Here are some piccies as a guide:
    Grimlock next to Optimus Prime
    Grimlock and Megatron
    Grimlock and Super Powermaster Optimus Prime - which would make Grimlock positively gigantic considering that Super Powermaster Prime was once portrayed as being this huge! (but he normally wasn't that big )
    Grimlock with Cosmos, Beachcomber and Wheeljack - but notice how Wheeljack is smaller than those minibots!

G1 was just never terribly consistent with scale! Grimlock did literally tower over other Transformers in Transformers, as you can see here. Click here to read more about the whacky world of Transformers scale! And that's why I'm personally not fussed with having my toys in scale (unless they're so far off scale that it makes it hard for the toys to interact with other toys in play, like say Beast Machines Nightscream, Supreme Cheetor, Ultimate Bumblebee etc.)... but yeah, otherwise I'd do my head in trying to get my toys to be in scale with canon considering that canonical scale often contradicts itself. That and the toys came first -- Grimlock _should_ be shorter than Optimus Prime, but Marvel/Sunbow made him taller.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    See here buddy
    Thanks mate!

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah but animators and artists frequently ignored that scale guide.

As an adult I don't think I qualify to answer a question for minors.

Oh wait, I'm emotionally immature... yay. Grimlock was portrayed as being taller than Optimus Prime by about half a head, but usually wasn't "towering".

Here are some piccies as a guide:
    Grimlock next to Optimus Prime
    Grimlock and Megatron
    Grimlock and Super Powermaster Optimus Prime - which would make Grimlock positively gigantic considering that Super Powermaster Prime was once portrayed as being this huge! (but he normally wasn't that big )
    Grimlock with Cosmos, Beachcomber and Wheeljack - but notice how Wheeljack is smaller than those minibots!

G1 was just never terribly consistent with scale! Grimlock did literally tower over other Transformers in Transformers, as you can see here. Click here to read more about the whacky world of Transformers scale! And that's why I'm personally not fussed with having my toys in scale (unless they're so far off scale that it makes it hard for the toys to interact with other toys in play, like say Beast Machines Nightscream, Supreme Cheetor, Ultimate Bumblebee etc.)... but yeah, otherwise I'd do my head in trying to get my toys to be in scale with canon considering that canonical scale often contradicts itself. That and the toys came first -- Grimlock _should_ be shorter than Optimus Prime, but Marvel/Sunbow made him taller.
    We are all minors at heart here

Thanks for the links, really appreciate it.
    I watched an ep of g1 where megs transformed into a gun for starscream? to shoot and perceptor turned into a human sized scope- no logical scale.

From what I can tell MP Grimlock is slightly out of scale with classics figs (just a tad taller and bulkier), but for my purposes of displaying him its okay. The reason I asked was that I was not sure about his relative size- always just thought he was same size as prime.

Now.. what to do with my henkei grimlock..

G1 will always be full of inconsistencies, sizing, color changes, losing abilities previously displayed (e.g. flying)...here's some unexplained ones I found ages ago in some forum I already forgot which one

Okaaaay back to the thread now . soweee
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Continued from here

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91
    For the first time I saw MP Grimlock the other day at Toys R Us and is it me or is the toy MUCH SMALLER than you'd expect?
    It's basically the same mould as the MP Grimlock that TakaraTOMY released last year... so no, I wasn't surprised by its size at all.

It's the same size as MP Starscream, Thundercracker and Skywarp, but smaller than MP Optimus Prime and Megatron. In other words, Grimlock is shorter than the leaders but the same size as other non-leader MPs. And this is normally the case anyway. Grimlock's always been either the same size or shorter than the Optimus toy of the same series/era, with the arguable exceptions of Beast Wars* and Classics**.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91
    Is the money worth it for good ol' grimlock?
    TBH, not really. Not unless you really want this toy and you can't be bothered importing it from somewhere like Robot Kingdom. But as mentioned before, there are advantages to buying it from TRU - like being able to inspect the article first hand and the instant gratification of having the toy straight away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy
    It's been a long time since I last had a play with an Ultra. I have a feeling that robot mode is taller than an ultra. I am pretty sure he is at least equal to leader size, maybe not quite up there with supreme.
    I haven't measured MP Grimlock yet, but the MP Seekers are 21.5cm which is about the average height of an Ultra. So if Grimlock's around the same size then he's the same height as an Ultra.

----------------------------------------------------------------
    *Beast Wars Grimlock, a Deluxe, is taller than Basic Optimus Primal but he is shorter than Ultra Optimus Primal.
    **Classics Grimlock is taller than Ultimate Battle Optimus Prime but shorter than Classics Optimus Prime. But again, Ultimate Battle is arguably not part of "Classics" and the Optimus Prime toy that is clearly labelled "Classics" is a Voyager which is taller than the Deluxe Classics Grimlock toy.

Thanks for the input re: whether Grimlock is worth it guys. I'll probably give this MP a miss, the only MP I want is MP Prime with the Trailer. I'm sure if TRU don't sell this fig well they'll drop it down to 100 at most.

there's only a few left
    LF: G1/Henkei/SOC/others
    For Sale/Trade:Misc TF Sale
    Want List: WSTs, SCF PVCs, Henkei, Classics

I dont care about the price. I love this Grimlock and would much rather pay 150 then 350 for the other MP versions floating around.

I had a look and fiddle with the MP Grimlock toy that Hasbro released last year (MP-03). Wow... that Hasblow Grey. The crown on was also pretty loose and prone to falling off.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

I had a look and fiddle with the MP Grimlock toy that Hasbro released last year (MP-03). Wow... that Hasblow Grey. The crown on was also pretty loose and prone to falling off.
    My Takara grey was not solid grey and was quite the same as Hasbro.
    I have no issue with the crown.

Those who missed it, that was it. I still remembered I got it for $120 Aust from US TRU shipped here.

I seriously have no issue with scale though, people keep being bugged that is wrong size and wants a third party whatsoever. For me is like "how many grimlocks do we need?"

My Takara one had loose legs too. In the end I sold my takara one and kept the Hasbro.