Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint and airbrushing tips and advice

cool, it's something I'd like to get into, maybe I'll have a bit more space for that in a little while.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

To anyone interested, the Aldi at The Pines in Doncaster has about 8 of the Airbrush Compressors with the tank and siphon airbrush in their clearance area.

I didn't see the price but it should be less than the $99 I paid. They also have black, white, red, yellow, blue, green, silver and gold airbrush paint for $1 a bottle.

If anyone wants me to grab one for them and hold on to it until they can pick it up I am happy to. They had about 6 boxes of the paints with four of each colour in a box except the metallic colours where there are two of each.

Had a look tonight. They are $69.

That's a great price for a reasonable quality set up.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Are there any paints that I should look at in particular to recolour WFCS Soundwave's visor from toy accurate yellow to cartoon accurate red?

I'd like a bit of transparency if possible to preserve the light piping.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Are there any paints that I should look at in particular to recolour WFCS Soundwave's visor from toy accurate yellow to cartoon accurate red?

You can get transparent paints in acrylics (like Tamiya) that you can hand- or air-brush. My paint of choice is SMS lacquers (that have a transparent red) via the airbrush but I wouldn’t recommend that if you have only limited experience.

Keep in mind that it needs to be done in several very thin layers over time, rather than one sitting, especially if you don’t want the red to come out too dark. The Tamiya paint will need a little watering down before use. And if you go with a transparent red paint (to maintain the light piping) the overall colour may have an orange tinge because of the base yellow.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post

If you can dismantle the head a quick and dirty way of doing this is with a red sharpie. Only if you can pull the head apart though!

Although... If you pull apart a sharpie and squeeze out some pigment and use a fine tip brush to apply the ink. I'd test that out on a plastic spoon or junker figure first.

I really like the new Tamiya lacquers. They lay down fairly smooth with a paintbrush but out of the airbrush they are sublime.

Ordered a cheap beginners airbrush and compressor yesterday, spent this afternoon making a cleaning pot out of a Sodastream bottle and all my lizard hind brain can think is, "cool, I made a b*ng."

For anyone interested the latest Aldi catalogue has the compressor and siphon airbrush kit for $79 in the latest catalogue.