Thread: Collector Club toy head-sculpts on display

Default Collector Club toy head-sculpts on display

At the NJCC convention in America last weekend, there was a custom sculpting company (called Boss Fight) with a booth, showing off some of their recent projects... including some of FunPub's GIJoe and Transformers exclusive heads.

We get a really good look at four of them (Rampage/Shokaract, Chromedome, Eject/Rewind, Thrustinator), and two others are behind them that are a little blurred (Devcon, Cannonball).

The detail on them is really amazing, and it is a shame that the temporary moulds lose a little of it.

I'm not sure if these are being hand-sculpted, or 3D printed from computer generated designs. (I think these days with affordable 3D printers, it is likely the latter)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The detail on them is really amazing, and it is a shame that the temporary moulds lose a little of it.
    Those orange ones are so crisp, it is a little sad that TFCC heads tend to end up worse for wear. And too small like Punch/Rampage or too big like Nexus Prime.

I'd say they're hand sculpted, 3d printing still produces 'layers' that show up in the final product even the really high end stuff shows up on a digital photo.

It would be interesting to see how many processes they go through between here and the final molded product. It's a little redundant that we've now seen the actual released product for all of these, but nice to see where the process starts. it looks like Rampages fins might have been dulled for 'safety ' concerns on the final product. Also, very fine sharp points and edges may not survive removal from the mold, requiring a certain amount of dulling of the detail.

My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I dunno the latest 3d printed miniatures are pretty much indistinguishable from hand sculpted stuff.

That said I'd guess they were hand sculpted and that the molding methods used are rather old and primitive. In that picture Rampage's head seems to have lost a lot of definition in the transition to mass production, it's a bit disappointing after seeing the original head.