Page 1 of 18 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Play With This Too...

Default Play With This Too...

To be Kickstarted next year by former Hasbro employees - they will be releasing homages to Pretenders, Inhumanoids and now GoBots.

Not-Pretender-Starscream with Not-Fitor.

I like the idea of making action figures as Pretender homages, especially given they are saying they will give the artists full control and have interchangeable heads and hands. The art for their Bomburst and Skullgrin based figures looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    I like the idea of making action figures as Pretender homages, especially given they are saying they will give the artists full control and have interchangeable heads and hands. The art for their Bomburst and Skullgrin based figures looks promising.
    Yeah - there's a Cloudburst, Grimlock, Liquidator and Landmine too. And the fiction (or at least some of it) is being written by Simon Furman. Definitely one to watch.

I just read WHO the former employee is - Aaron Archer. They should never have fired that dude
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    I just read WHO the former employee is - Aaron Archer. They should never have fired that dude
    He resigned, allegedly, because "it was getting simply too difficult to make what he deemed a fun figure while dealing with things like rising plastic costs and price efficiency".

Hilariously that was immediately followed by, "As far as third parties are concerned, Hasbro cannot be influenced by any outside ideas for legal reasons, (he reasoned that "it wouldn't make sense to steal from someone who was stealing [from us]"). Hasbro does monitor the products for legality's sake though, Aaron said they have a binder (a big one by this point) that catalogues all the unofficial toys to monitor them in case of legal injunctions or trademark violations. On a more personal note, Archer said that the Third party companies can make some talented figures, but wishes that they would sell more original transforming toys then trying to profit off of a pre-existing franchise."

And "Aaron Archer is no longer an acting employee of Hasbro, but still does freelance toy design for the company. The latest one he said he worked on was flip and change grimlock, not even the design but just the concept of what he wanted the toy to do (I want it to go like this, then that, then zoop.) someone else designed the toy"

Also, he "really doesn't like the 3p's. calls it IP theft."

From here, just two months ago.

That said, I think Play With This Too is primarily Rik Alvarez - Archer might just be doing some design work.

hmmm. I like the Pretenders... so will these shells be poseable then? I wonder if the Starscream shell can fit the current Legends Starscream which for me is the counterpart for the CHUGUR line for Pretender starscream for it's sizing . I really like that mould (legends Screamer). So if that can indeed fit in without a prob then Wohooo. Just hope this are static bricks with fat torosos to fit the minifigure, coz really, it's 2014 already surely the toy tech has gone a long way. Sometimes concept art does not translate to the finished product.....which is a shame.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    hmmm. I like the Pretenders... so will these shells be poseable then? I wonder if the Starscream shell can fit the current Legends Starscream which for me is the counterpart for the CHUGUR line for Pretender starscream for it's sizing . I really like that mould (legends Screamer). So if that can indeed fit in without a prob then Wohooo. Just hope this are static bricks with fat torosos to fit the minifigure, coz really, it's 2014 already surely the toy tech has gone a long way. Sometimes concept art does not translate to the finished product.....which is a shame.
    I don't think they're shells, Liege - they're action figures - the Not-Transformers split apart to form armour for the 'shells'. See here for an example. Here's Aaron Archer's Not-Octopunch, BTW.

I'm really-REALLY interested in these and seeing what this "A-Team" of Hasbro Alumni is able to accomplish, it'll be really interesting to see what Simon Furman brings with his Narrative duties too.

6" Articulated, standalone figures that pay homage to the G1 Pretenders? - Bloody Oath I'm in!

Yeah, I'd be up for the Decepticon Pretender homages. Those designs were actually pretty cool.

That A-team is so cool! Can't wait to see what their Thunderwing will be like and if they decide to do Double Pretenders!

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!