Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Medical Records opt in/out

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Who do you trust to do a better job of security? A local GP clinic or the Australian government? If you answered a local GP then you are insane.

No networked security is perfect, but at least the government has security personnel on staff. Your local GP on the other hand could very well terrible security and you would never know it.

Frankly if my records have to be in someone's cloud I'd rather the one with a known good level of security, not a GP that could have extremely terrible security.
    You completely missed the point of my post.

Also those GPs with crappy security you’re talking about are going to have unrestricted access to this database. So if someone were to gain access through one of these GPs yor refer to, they could potentially access the records of anyone. Not just that particular GP’s patients.

We have internet security experts everywhere saying that what the government is proposing is at best a half arsed solution. The rules around its use are rubbery at best and will be subject to the whim of the government of the time. Your data is being treated as a product and will be used as such in the future. Same with your kids. Provided it doesn’t end up hosted on a website first . Are you ok with that?
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

It's not just about the lack of security.

This too

"Patients control access to the record, so they can switch off their entire record and make it only available using a pin code, or use that process with individual documents," Dr Hambleton said.

Patients can get an SMS or email anytime someone new accesses their record — but it is up to individuals to set up those privacy and access settings.

Robert Merkel, a software engineering lecturer at Monash University, said he was worried the safeguards were not in place by default.

"I am concerned that most people simply aren't going to be aware of those privacy controls," Dr Merkel said.
    Because the they didn't have many people sign up for this, they are going to blanket sign up everyone and have those that wish to opt out do so. Absolutely backwards way of doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Because the they didn't have many people sign up for this, they are going to blanket sign up everyone and have those that wish to opt out do so. Absolutely backwards way of doing this.
    To be honest, I wasn't even aware of this whole thing until I saw this thread a week ago and then a news story yesterday.

Personally I don't like the idea of them signing us up without our permission and then us having to go to the trouble of opting out. I don't like that at all.

My main problem is what use the government of today and possible uses the governments of the future will put your private health information to. For instance imagine if you were going for a job in a government department and they checked and saw you had taken considerable stress leave in the past because of a note your GP wrote you a decade ago. Think they will employ you over someone who doesn't have that on their record? I don't trust the powers that be one bit to not pull something like that. And considering how the government walks hand-in-hand with big business (can anyone say 'giant tax cuts'?) I don't trust them to not eventually 'accidentally' share our details with corporations.

"And it says here Mr Simpson, that you once held a dog by its back legs and walked it round like a wheelbarrow"
    "I was ten!"
    "Well it all goes on your permanent record"

The government doesn't have a good record for that. And if they want to gain any trust back, this sure as hell won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    To be honest, I wasn't even aware of this whole thing until I saw this thread a week ago and then a news story yesterday.

Personally I don't like the idea of them signing us up without our permission and then us having to go to the trouble of opting out. I don't like that at all.

My main problem is what use the government of today and possible uses the governments of the future will put your private health information to. For instance imagine if you were going for a job in a government department and they checked and saw you had taken considerable stress leave in the past because of a note your GP wrote you a decade ago. Think they will employ you over someone who doesn't have that on their record? I don't trust the powers that be one bit to not pull something like that. And considering how the government walks hand-in-hand with big business (can anyone say 'giant tax cuts'?) I don't trust them to not eventually 'accidentally' share our details with corporations.

"And it says here Mr Simpson, that you once held a dog by its back legs and walked it round like a wheelbarrow"
    "I was ten!"
    "Well it all goes on your permanent record"
    The most likely scenario is that a government will decide to make your record available to health insurance companies when assessing your premium. Suddenly every health check/issue you ever had will be used as a justification to charge you more for health insurance.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The most likely scenario is that a government will decide to make your record available to health insurance companies when assessing your premium. Suddenly every health check/issue you ever had will be used as a justification to charge you more for health insurance.
    Thats a good point. We had health insurance for years but got rid of it as it was too expensive and only used if for discounts on dental anyway. Now we just have ambulance cover but as we get older will probably need to get it again one day

Every person in the medical profession will have access to your record. You will be notified of anyone that accessess your records BUT you wont be told who that is, just a notification saying someone has accessed the records. Yes it is confirmed that health insurance companies will have access and its a known fact police access this type of data base illegally.

It may also involve employers down the track being able to acess these records for medical checks before being employed to work. Such things as this to think about and what else may occurr in the future. The guy running this scheme started care.data in the uk which was shut down in 2016. Should read. They were selling the private records to marketing companies. People were getting unsolicited marketing from drug companies for their conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Your not the only one. Apparently even people in the medical profession didnt know his was happening. The government has been so secretive about this that almost all the people my family n friends know and theirs didnt know and some still dont.

I chose to opt out after seeing that Telstra and other 3rd party IT businesses already had access.

Imagine my surprise when I tried to opt out and the screen said "You can't opt out as you already have created a record".

No, I hadn't. Apparently anyone living in North Queensland have already had their records created, so I had to go through MyGov to delete it.

I opted out. Rang up and got an indian woman, so i asked if i could be transfered to an australia call centre. She told me she was in SA adeliade. Didnt want my info going over seas. It was quick n easy and only needed my medicare number no license.

The medical info on the web site is being hosted overseas. No or different legislation over there? What will happen?