View Poll Results: JP TFPrime Wave 1 - worth buying?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • All yes

0 0%
  • Some

5 62.50%
  • None

1 12.50%
  • Not interested

2 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - JP TFPrime & Microns AM01-AM06

Default Toy Review - JP TFPrime & Microns AM01-AM06

(Please post photos, comments or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just brief details to get you started)

AM-01 Optimus Prime (Voyager) (+ Ōpī)
    AM-02 Bumblebee (Deluxe) V2 (+ Bītsū)
    AM-03 Cliffjumper V2 (Deluxe) (+ Shieru)
    AM-04 Ratchet (Deluxe) (+ Arue)
    AM-05 Megatron (Deluxe) (+ Gora)
    AM-06 Skywarp (Deluxe) (+ Baro)

Series - Transformers Prime (Japanese Version)
    Sub-line - Robots in Disguise
    Size/class - Voyager (Optimus), Deluxe (others)
    Wave - 1
    New/remould/redeco - redecos of Hasbro versions w/ Micron ports added.
    Released here - Not here (Released in Japan March 2012)
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Each has a Micron-weapon model-kit, plus sticker sheet instead of paint apps.

If only Ratchet and his Micron actually looked like those pics.

Should be able to post some pics & thoughts on Skywarp and Megatron next week!

I've bought every AM so far.

I'm pretty torn. For the most part however, I am preferring Hasbro with the exception of FEs where I cannot stress enough just how worthwhile the Takara versions are. The sticker component is very frustrating and irritating though I do note that you get a sense of satisfication once you are done. However, for me TFs are about engineering and aesthetic not model building/completion. I still would much rather not have to worry about the stickers. It's uselessly time-consuming and detracts away from the core activity of transforming. I'd rather spend that half hour going from mode to mode then trying to apply these stickers

The key question mark in the long term about the AMs is around stickers. They were and unlike G1 which had a litany of flat surfaces compared to modern figures which have curves, ridges and angles, it does make me wonder. In particular, the stickers on the mini-cons are frustrating. They are hard to apply and imo much more likely to peel if you overhandle your figures.

The ports are also an issue particularly on the Autobots. I think they are not a significant issue on the Decepticons and are much better integrated into the alt mode look of the figures. I think this is b/c we're accustomed to the look of cars and having holes in them makes them look silly whereas with jets and futuristic vehicles, you have leeway to add parts without detracting too much.

Some thoughts on the ones that particularly stood out for me:

AM-01 Prime: nice colours. Mini-con okay. The colorus compared to the Hasbro are amazingly superior and I can see myself at least wanting to display this as oppose to cringing. Stickers aren't overly necessary, they're already quite well done. Recommended if you "energy arm" look on Prime but I'd still point you to the FE Takara Prime as the go to.
    Verdict: Chase down Takara FE Prime instead

AM-02/AM-03: Neither do much for me as I'm more than happy with the Takara FEs. These feel cheap and under-engineered in comparison.The yellow on BB is richer than the Hasbro edition but I just can't stand the mold enough and will only want exposure for it via Hot Shot. Cliffjumper's mini-con is a delight though. Stickers however make it painful. The -worst- transgression on these two are the ports. They're smooth looking cars but have these jarring holes in them. If I had to recommend, I would say grab Cliffjumper for the mini-con at best as it still looks decent compared to BB which I think is hideous and not even remotely show accurate.
    Verdict: Pass

AM-04: Ratchet: I was really looking forward to this one. The prime reason being the red was darker and more in line with the realistic colours of the show. Wasn't too excited about the stickers but I'm very happy with it in hand compared to pics I've seen online of the Hasbro one. Of the lot, this one is the most bare if you don't apply stickers. However, the stickers are quite well done with the uneveness of the surface for the stickers on the chest. I'm a sucker for good colours and although I detest stickers, I'm happy to go this route to get a nicer aesthetic for my Ratchet. The ports aren't as bad in person as they appear in the pictures for Ratchet. Still not ideal but nowhere near as bad.

The mini-con is an absolute winner though. Love the execution and the weapon. The handle of the minicon means it can be wielded in any number of ways by the figure opening up a lot of cool poses. The stickers work well enough but I can't help but wonder how awesome it would look if it was all painted in silver rather than the bland gray.
    Verdict: Buy

AM-05 Megatron: I was quite excited by this one b/c we got a fusion cannon mini-con. Overall, like Skywarp, you could avoid all main-bot stickers and just apply the faction logo and you'd be fine. The stickers add a nice touch though and I'm happy with them on although i'd be much happier if they'd just been painted. The mini-con is a bit of a mixed bag. lots of stickers and the most painful mini-con to apply stickers to. My bigger gripe is that the cannon doesn't close properly. I'm going to try again but even when I referenced pictures online, it doesn't appear easy to close the gap between the two sides of the fusion cannon to make it feel 'complete'. The other problem with my Megatron was the peg isn't very tight on the weapon. With a nudge to the figure, it'll just drop off. It does come together when you finally set about displaying it, however, it's not very firm playwise.

AM-06 Skywarp: The only reason I chased this down was b/c I'm not sure if Hasbro will release it. The mini-con colours are really flat but work well for this one because it's a drill. The stickers are also pretty good with only the ones on the tailfins and the feet worrying me. I'm pretty happy with it. The added bonus with this figure is that if you wanted, you could get away with applying just one sticker to the main-bot, the chest insignia and it'd still look pretty complete. I do like the metallic purple finish provided by the stickers though. The minicon is okay and I don't like it that much compared to the others. The stickers are not fun to apply at all.I'm not happy with my finish but I reached a CBF point after giving it a fair few goes and just left them as is.

Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I've been reading a bit about these and the displeasure in having to apply decals / stickers. I wonder what has changed in the last 28 years that Transformer fans now don't like to apply stickers. Are we all just getting lazy?

If it weren't for tech specs, robot points, and stickers I doubt Transformers would even be around today.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I've been reading a bit about these and the displeasure in having to apply decals / stickers. I wonder what has changed in the last 28 years that Transformer fans now don't like to apply stickers. Are we all just getting lazy?

If it weren't for tech specs, robot points, and stickers I doubt Transformers would even be around today.
    Wash your mouth out These seem a bit like Pikachu I choose you First and foremost is the main character and as far as I'm concerned they have made a major design change to suit the gimmick of the Microns which shouldn't be the case.

Skywarp is a repaint of FE Starscream right? Not a new toy? It's colour scheme does look the best of the Japanese toys so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post

For me, TFs these days and when I was a kid was the transformation. I loved robots and I loved the engineering. Stickers contribute to aesthetics but they're not the reason I'm buying. I dont' care much for tech specs unless they're physical cards but Takara have gotten quite bad at consistently supplying those across a line.

I doubt I'd collect TFs today if it was all about robot points, tech spec cards and stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Skywarp is a repaint of FE Starscream right? Not a new toy? It's colour scheme does look the best of the Japanese toys so far.
    Yes, it is the FE. It's best with straight paint apps other than Optimus. Do highly recommend it.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Oh you have to put stickers on the Mini-cons as well? No, thankyou!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Skywarp in any series is always the best His theme song should be 'Back in Black' by ACDC
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Stickers have often been a cheap/lazy way to add additional detail to toys. Extra paint apps and sculpting are usually better ways of achieving greater aesthetic results. On the whole, stickers were generally phased out in 1996 with the advent of Beast Wars. BW gave us a new 'generation' of TF toys that relied more on detailed sculpting, paint/colour apps (including airbrushing on some toys) as well as tampographed insignias/decos on some toys (e.g. Transmetals). Stickers were fine for G1 and G2 - and indeed some G1/G2 reissues come with some tampographed decos/logos that were previously stickered. But by contemporary standards it seems antiquated.

The only toy in this line I'm interested in getting is Skywarp - cos he's Skywarp. But I'm gonna get him shipped to me w/ MP Sunstorm & Utd Artfire, so I won't have him in my hands for some time yet. I want a Deluxe Ratchet, but I'm hoping that Hasbro will release their version here. Or should I get a Takara Ratchet just in case HAS AU doesn't pull through? <rubs.chin>