Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Comic Review: Transformers Spotlights (2012 - 2013)

Did anyone else notice that the Spotlight: Trailcutter that came with the toy is different than the one that came out in comic stores?

In the one with the toy he is called Trailcutter instead of Trailbreaker from page one, and the bit with him and Whirl discussing his name change has gone completely!

Would you be so kind as to scan and post said panels? Thanks.

From TFwiki FYI:
    In the version of the issue packed in with Trailcutter's Generations Thrilling 30 toy, several edits to the script are made:
    Any reference to the name 'Trailbreaker' is removed. The dialogue on page 6 regarding his name change is cut, and any prior uses of his original name are changed to 'Trailcutter'.
    Mentions of guns and killing are replaced with blasters and destroying/hurting/etc.
    Overt references to alcohol consumption are removed, such as Trailcutter's offer to share a bottle of Nightmare Fuel, and his resolution to "get fendered" at the end of the issue.
    Some less explicable changes to the narration, such as moving the narration from page 8, panel 5 one panel earlier, and omitting the entirely harmless first narration box on page 9, panel 4.

Sounds like there are some required or perceived target-age standards with toys' content, in which the toys are aimed at a lower age demographic than comics at a comic store... so the standards have to be more G-rated with anything packed with the toy, unlike comics at a comic shop, that could be any rating they want.

Possible Spoiler

Read at own possible risk

In the sneak peak of MTMTE 25, it shows Swerve battling alongside Crosscut, with Swerve talking about how ‘everyone knows who Crosscut is’. What are the chances they put him in this comic so that said comic can get packaged with the upcoming Generations toy in a few months

Oh for sure. Its gotta be. But I think it's a poor choice of placement for that character in terms of the overall MTMTE story.

Because: "Hey Skids, you know how you couldn't remember anything before we found you on the planet. Well guess what, we forgot to tell you there's a guy down on deck 4 who was a senator and has the exact same body as you. Even the extra built in weapons. We probably should have introduced you." It would have been better if he was on Cybertron.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 12th January 2014 at 02:10 PM.

What's the odds that if Rhinox was a deluxe instead of a Voyager, we'd suddenly see him cropping up on either Cybertron or the Lost Light so he could have a comic too

Heheh, yeah. the whole Slag-Slug thing feels forced too, especially when Slug's telling Swoop that he's decided to change his name in the present, but then we see Swoop calling him "Slug" in a flashback! I suspect that Hasbro might've mandated that he only be called Slug to avoid confusing kids when they pack the comic with the toy. But I don't see why IDW couldn't have just called him Slag in the flashback scene in the regular version, then when it's reprinted for the toy then change it to Slug or reword it to just avoid calling him by name.

Although... I'm not aware of any news about a Generations Slug toy being in the works, so maybe this is a sign? Otherwise it's feels like a rather intrusive mandate from Hasbro for no particular reason if they're not going to attach it with an upcoming product. *sigh* Another reason why I prefer Transformers to be toy-first...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Heheh, yeah. the whole Slag-Slug thing feels forced too, especially when Slug's telling Swoop that he's decided to change his name in the present, but then we see Swoop calling him "Slug" in a flashback! I suspect that Hasbro might've mandated that he only be called Slug to avoid confusing kids when they pack the comic with the toy. But I don't see why IDW couldn't have just called him Slag in the flashback scene in the regular version, then when it's reprinted for the toy then change it to Slug or reword it to just avoid calling him by name.

Although... I'm not aware of any news about a Generations Slug toy being in the works, so maybe this is a sign? Otherwise it's feels like a rather intrusive mandate from Hasbro for no particular reason if they're not going to attach it with an upcoming product. *sigh* Another reason why I prefer Transformers to be toy-first...
    Slug would be a dream come true as a toy, but it probably is nothing.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust