Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should I or Shouldnt I?

I'm one of those guys who started out as Juzmel and opened carefully to reseal if I wanted too. But I started to buy doubles of most of my toys, one for MISB display purpose, the other for play. It wasn't always that way. Originally I bought doubles b/c a toy was my favourite mold and I worreid that I'd have to chase it down the line and that that would be a massive pain.

Then through theDamned and Jaydisc, I started to have an attraction to displaying toys. So I started to buy lots of toys purely just for their displayability. I went crazy in the first movie, TFM, Classics 2.0, Animated. Some of the doubling up was warrated as I really enjoyed most of the Animated molds and Classics 2.0 had lovely packaging. But toys from TFM really really irked me as some of them were pretty average and I had spares of them!

So I've now reached a point where I continue to buy doubles of ROTF toys but if and only if I like the mold or they're show cast. Otherwise, only the 1 for me. So far that's been Preview BB, Smokescreen, Desert Attack Brawl, Breakaway and many more to come I'm sure.

But cost's a big issue. The other issue that's not to be forgotten is space. YOu've got to remember you've only got so much room. In my collection pics (see my sig) you'll see how big a room I have access to yet even now I'm struggling to find space to display everything. So there's an upper limit. Boxes take up lots of space and you've gotta be quite selective about the line you're interested in and make sure they will look good displayed.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post

So I've now reached a point where I continue to buy doubles of ROTF toys but if and only if I like the mold or they're show cast. Otherwise, only the 1 for me. So far that's been Preview BB, Smokescreen, Desert Attack Brawl, Breakaway and many more to come I'm sure........
    That's good to hear i am not the only one...
    and i am hoping not the only one that gets doubles in case of Breakages for the Main cast and/or Favorites.

And about the packaging:

I try and keep what my Transformers came it for Storage purposes.
    Last edited by G1Optimal; 14th July 2009 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post
    And about the packaging:[/I]
    I try and keep what my Transformers came it for Storage purposes.
    Trust me, it only lasts so long. I originally kept all my packaging but over a year ago it all went. And still I struggle for space!
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

Don't waste your time with a stanley or pen knife, use a blowtorch, kill 2 birds with one stone, opens your toys and destroys the bubbles and boxes and don't worry about the melted mess you can always call it battle damage. Yes I open my toys in case you can't tell

Open them.they must be set free. not to open is wrong...

I only have one that remains in the box.My Alternity Convoy only because i think the packaging is just as good as the toy.He's only been out once.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Trust me, it only lasts so long. I originally kept all my packaging but over a year ago it all went. And still I struggle for space!

Hope you kept The Techspec's/Bio's of the ones that had them?

Quote Originally Posted by G1Optimal View Post

Hope you kept The Techspec's/Bio's of the ones that had them?
    STL loves his techspecs :P

Tech specs can be clipped and saved. At least, they used to be - up until Armada. (-_-) And quite frankly, most tech specs that they've written since then haven't even been worth collecting.

And can someone explain to me why Hasbro and 3H just _refuse_ to give us tech specs as collectable cards?!? Takara's been doing it since G2 (although it became standardised in Beast Wars)... I don't see why Hasbro doesn't follow suit. Not even with BotCon exclusives where they just give us those oversized ones. <sigh>

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Tech specs can be clipped and saved. At least, they used to be - up until Armada. (-_-) And quite frankly, most tech specs that they've written since then haven't even been worth collecting.

And can someone explain to me why Hasbro and 3H just _refuse_ to give us tech specs as collectable cards?!? Takara's been doing it since G2 (although it became standardised in Beast Wars)... I don't see why Hasbro doesn't follow suit. Not even with BotCon exclusives where they just give us those oversized ones. <sigh>
    In the case of 3H, they have no excuse really. Their cards are large and cumbersome and make no sense given that it's supposed to be collector orientated. How are you display such non-standard sized cards? On top of that, the back of the cards are a plain light brown/gray cardboard. I'm not sure about this year but on previous year's that's certainly the case. If it's supposed to be for colllectors make it collectable, not just an after thought. Pretty pathetic.

In Hasbro's case I can see the pros anc cons.
    The pros
    - Name/character recognition
    - Another way for the audience to relate to the characters through something more tangible than just the toy
    Which both build intrinsic value within the brand

The cons
    - cost of art, design, colouring, production, packaging
    - It's hard to retain kids for more than 2-3 years anyway. IIRC they've openly stated that they only expect most kids to buy for a few years anyway. Tech specs are investments in characters that build intrinsic value that there needs to be long-term benefits for. if you're custoemr is going to leave (grow up) anyway, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    STL loves his techspecs :P
    My Mistake...
    Thought when he said Got rid of "all" his Packaging i thought he meant that as well.

Should of thought ...
    "Of course he wouldn't throw that out" what was i thinking.