Page 1 of 35 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Thread!

Default Basketball Thread!

Who plays? Who's a fan? Who followed the recent World Championships in Turkey and the Czech Republic?

Melbourne v Sydney in the first match of the season this Friday night on free-to-air.

Fan and player (i.e.,the neighbourhood type comp only).

And tried to follow the WC but it wasn't shown on One HD

I'll watch that on friday.
    Last edited by jazzcomp; 11th October 2010 at 10:00 AM.
    LF: G1/Henkei/SOC/others
    For Sale/Trade:Misc TF Sale
    Want List: WSTs, SCF PVCs, Henkei, Classics

I put on this on i need to vent but I'll add it here.

Refereeing sucks in NSW basketball. A NSW BBall rep comes to the games and explains that 3 secs is something they shouldn't actually call. So no use complaining about it. He says that a guy camping out in the lane is of no consequence. No consequence(my a$$), then all the center and tall forwards have to do is position themselves for offensive rebounds and put backs. Grrr....

I've been playing since I was a kid and this is no way to call a game. It's lousy enough that they don't have shotclocks and you can keep the ball on your side of the court for more than a minute (no time limit actually). So if I have a 1 pt or minimum lead in the last few minutes, all you have to do is pass the ball around until time runs out and you win. Crap

I'm pretty sure this isn't how you run a comp even for female basketball. Why do it for adult comps where you pay to play?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    I put on this on i need to vent but I'll add it here.

Refereeing sucks in NSW basketball. A NSW BBall rep comes to the games and explains that 3 secs is something they shouldn't actually call. So no use complaining about it. He says that a guy camping out in the lane is of no consequence. No consequence(my a$$), then all the center and tall forwards have to do is position themselves for offensive rebounds and put backs. Grrr....

I've been playing since I was a kid and this is no way to call a game. It's lousy enough that they don't have shotclocks and you can keep the ball on your side of the court for more than a minute (no time limit actually). So if I have a 1 pt or minimum lead in the last few minutes, all you have to do is pass the ball around until time runs out and you win. Crap

I'm pretty sure this isn't how you run a comp even for female basketball. Why do it for adult comps where you pay to play?
    Great points. I've heard of refs justifying not calling 3 seconds with that but in my opinion it is bullshit and the FIBA rules haven't changed to allow it so it should be called everytime even if a player has one toe in.

In domestic comps with no shotclocks I've seen alot of time wasting to run down the clock and win the game. Especially in finals. It isn't really fair but there's not a lot that can be done about it unless there's a paid, official timekeeper on the bench and your association introduces the shotclock as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by SamLoi888 View Post
    Great points. I've heard of refs justifying not calling 3 seconds with that but in my opinion it is bullshit and the FIBA rules haven't changed to allow it so it should be called everytime even if a player has one toe in.

In domestic comps with no shotclocks I've seen alot of time wasting to run down the clock and win the game. Especially in finals. It isn't really fair but there's not a lot that can be done about it unless there's a paid, official timekeeper on the bench and your association introduces the shotclock as a rule.
    I actually heard that you can't escape 3 sec rule by going out of bounds on the baseline.

In my comp, there's table officials from the players and 2 paid refs. You do incur penalties if there's no rep at the table.

The refs are saying 2 isn't enough. I think I play with just 2 refs overseas. There's even a new rule that 3 reps doing duty should be available in case another ref is needed. So just use the 3rd rep to referee (you don't pay them anyway).

I wonder why there's no one trying to improve on these rules. Maybe in the post season (after first round), the shot clock should be added. Those are knockout games.

By the way, I play in the lower division since I have injuries in the past. I play in social basketball for fun. I play at leagues for the competition.

I also hate that they call intentional fouls at end of games when you are just trying to stop the clock in a close match and get the opponent to the free throw line (hoping they'd miss) and get a chance to get another shot. That's 2 free throws plus ball possession.

Intentional foul should have the intention of hurting the player. Remember hack a shaq? All you have to do is touch his shirt or hold him and he doesn't even have the ball.

I used to watch a lot of NBA til about the time Jordan retired. Played a bit too and then recently again though an injury has made that impossible.
    Watched the last season of NBA and was disappointed when the Lakers won (go Suns!).
    Workin' for PRIME TV who support the Canberra Capitals (local Women's team) so I will be watching more of their games when they play at home cos the Womens' Basketball season has started up again.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp View Post
    I wonder why there's no one trying to improve on these rules. Maybe in the post season (after first round), the shot clock should be added. Those are knockout games.

I also hate that they call intentional fouls at end of games when you are just trying to stop the clock in a close match and get the opponent to the free throw line (hoping they'd miss) and get a chance to get another shot. That's 2 free throws plus ball possession.

Intentional foul should have the intention of hurting the player. Remember hack a shaq? All you have to do is touch his shirt or hold him and he doesn't even have the ball.
    If you've got a separate, impartial table official then the shotclock could be used but where they are team supplied officials the potential for cheating is too high.

I disagree on the intentional fouls. If it's not accidental it is intentional and should be thus penalised. It's poor form to give away a foul to run down or stop the clock and not in the spirit of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzcomp
    And tried to follow the WC but it wasn't shown on One HD
    That was a ridiculous decision not to show it on free to air. These are our national teams playing at the highest level and doing relatively well. Everybody should have access to it especially seeing as basketball is the number one sport in Australia in terms of participation.

Local area comps are usually lucky to have 2-3 refs with more than the most basic ref training. Amateur comps = amateur refs.

I've played in three local area comps in Sydney and the standard of reffing is pretty low across all three, but since they are doing it for very little money you cannot complain, at least they turn up week in and week out (unlike soccer/league refs!)

Worst comp I have ever been in was a trial summer comp (8 weeks and finals) at Castle Hill where each team had to provide a ref to the game before or after your own, some teams made really dodgy to ensure that other teams didnt make the finals. My team ended up losing the final (thankfully reffed by proper officials) but it was the worst comp I played in for all the cheating and carrying on that occurred.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by SamLoi888 View Post
    If you've got a separate, impartial table official then the shotclock could be used but where they are team supplied officials the potential for cheating is too high.

I disagree on the intentional fouls. If it's not accidental it is intentional and should be thus penalised. It's poor form to give away a foul to run down or stop the clock and not in the spirit of the game.
    everyone complains on the fouls/points to correct the table officials anyway.

the penalty is two free throws plus ball possession. I'd rather see it as unsportsmanlike foul or a flagrant foul.

I've got 3 guys running on a fast break, and the guy with the ball is fouled from behind to prevent a fast break. That's a clear path foul. 2 free throws plus ball possession or advantage foul = 2 free throws. (never got called right)

Then a ref will call with seconds left in the game with 1 pt difference that intentional foul for a guy trying to reach the ball from behind. Is that really intentional? He wants to foul to stop the clock but he was reaching for the ball.

That kind of intentional foul is never called where I played overseas. An intentional foul = to an unsportsmanlike and almost never called in a close game unless it was really a vicious foul.

I'm not sure which spirit you are talking about. But the team from behind only wants to foul you to stop the clock and make you shoot free throws. That's it. To give them a chance for a shot to win.

Plus you only have 2 timeouts a half or a whole game (in some comps) anyway. No inbounding in half-court, etc.