Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5152021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Basketball Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    I'm also surprised but (on a selfish note) happy that Duncan is back. I wouldn't begrudge him going out a winner; he's delivered us 5 championships. To put that in context; that's more than the Knicks, 6ers, Warriors or Kings who are 20 years older than the Spurs - and Denver who joined the NBA at the same time as San Antonio still have yet to even make the finals. Duncan's done more than enough for the franchise already & I'd eagerly wish him the best had he rode off into the sunset.
    If Houston don't win the championship next year, I'd be more than happy to see Duncan go out a champion again. Not sure if it will happen, as they went fairly injury free through the back end of this season, mostly from great player management.

As for Jame, Bosh and Wade, Wade cannot go to another team, he needs to stay at the Heat for the money. Bosh and James are most likely going to opt out, take minor pay cuts over longer contracts and try to get some more backup players to help out. James may have needed to do everything in Miami, but except for teams like the Thunder, Clippers, Warriors, Spurs and Rockets, he will still be the one and only.
    I agree he will stay in the East, where due to rebuilding or terrible management, there are only 3 or 4 decent teams, whereas the West has about 12, with some teams only getting better next season.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I reckon it's time to scrap the East vs West format and just have the best 8 teams on record play off against each other. I know it shifts through the ages but as a fan I'd rather have the best of the best play.

It's really just been a 2 horse race in the East whilst every round of the West is stacked.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    If Houston don't win the championship next year, I'd be more than happy to see Duncan go out a champion again. Not sure if it will happen, as they went fairly injury free through the back end of this season, mostly from great player management.
    Yeah I'm not sure a repeat is on the cards either. Let's face it, to win the west you need to be healthy AND have a great roster. Spurs have the roster but a late season/playoff injury to the wrong player will end the challenge. Just ask 2013 OKC!

As for Jame, Bosh and Wade, Wade cannot go to another team, he needs to stay at the Heat for the money. Bosh and James are most likely going to opt out, take minor pay cuts over longer contracts and try to get some more backup players to help out. James may have needed to do everything in Miami, but except for teams like the Thunder, Clippers, Warriors, Spurs and Rockets, he will still be the one and only.
    Wade would be nuts to opt out. He's past it & not worth the money. Noone's going to offer him anything like the money he's getting & so he may as well take the $ and retire in Miami.

I agree he will stay in the East, where due to rebuilding or terrible management, there are only 3 or 4 decent teams, whereas the West has about 12, with some teams only getting better next season.
    The scary thing about the disparity is that Phoenix finished 9th in the West with a record that equaled 3rd in the East (Raptors). Phoenix had to play more Spurs/OKC/Clippers/Grizzlies games while Toronto got extra games against Orlando/76ers/Bucks.

You're right about management; the Knicks & their perennially impatient owner; Toronto making money & (until recently) owned by a pension fund who couldn't care less about what happens on court, Hawks with their market issues & horrible ownership group (if you wanna see how bad, read up on the Atlanta Thrashers), the Bobcats (nuff said!); Brooklyn's owner who's too busy trying to grab headlines with big transactions to bother building a roster (I think they've traded away their draft picks until the end of time...). The west has Portland who can't seem to take a break with draft picks (Roy, Oden) & Minnesota who can't attract players to a cold midwestern hockey town, but now that NO have a better owner (the last guy got run out of Charlotte) & Sterling's actually bothered to build around Griffin the west has 15 franchises that are being run as they should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailer Park Ninja View Post
    I reckon it's time to scrap the East vs West format and just have the best 8 teams on record play off against each other. I know it shifts through the ages but as a fan I'd rather have the best of the best play.
    East has been poor for a long time; but unfortunately any re-alignment would have to be voted on by the owners. I can't imagine an owner of a team like (say) Charlotte would vote for a realignment that makes it harder to make the playoffs.

The other issue TPN is that the conferences aren't just about travel; they're about TV times. The local TV deal in (say) Orlando wouldn't be worth as much if the affiliate had to broadcast a lot more away games on the west coast; the 10pm tipoff games would finish at midnight (assuming no overtime). In the west the 7pm eastern games would tip off at 4pm while Angelinos are still at work.

The NHL recently went through an awfully difficult realignment after Atlanta moved to Winnipeg. The move was only 1 time zone but as they moved west Detroit, Columbus (both eastern time zone) and Nashville (central) all wanted out of the west. It ended up with a 16 team east & 14 team west because that's all the commissioner could get past the owners in a vote.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

Exum to the Jazz at 5. Interesting, looks like they'll be playing him off the ball a bit with Burke. Could be good for him as the Jazz are a young team and it'll give him time to develop his nba game with less pressure.

Australia's getting a lot of flak for tanking the game against Angola and avoiding a match with the US dream team. Link

I guess Dragic's comment/interview had a lot to do with it.

Tweet from Bogut -
    “So u can naturalize a plyer who has nver stepped foot in a country, but you cant rest players in a game 2 better a draw 4 youself? Ok @fiba.
    This is targetted at the Philippines which had a very low chance of advancing but most other countries use NBA players and naturalize Americans to help their team improve. One player doesn't make you an automatic winner. The Philippines played their hearts out.

It's FIBA, they are doing the bare minimum to look like they actually have any real power or relevancy. In a few weeks they will either give Autralia an undeserved slap on the wrist or say they found no evidence of intentional tanking. (As long as money is not involved, if a team tanks, that is their perogative.)

It's not like most of the world truly cares about this tournament. Most games not involving Spain are all but empty which is a terrible look for the sport.

The final will be good, as may the semi finals, but otherwise lets just get to the new NBA season already.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

There are a few nice and exciting games

Joe Ingles is suiting up for LA ......

...... Clippers next season

Nash is out It's really difficult to be a ring chaser at the end of your career. Lost all his opportunities.

For the NBA fans here - Discount on League Pass