Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Trading Card Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I'd love to get back into NFL trading cards and have eyed them off more than a few times at past Parra Fairs, but I can't justify (to the wife of course) starting it back up. I'm cool with that though because one of my main aims of collecting was to get every card from every series of my favourite player. Ending up with complete series of Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer etc. was just an added, and welcomed, 'side effect' He retired from the game in 1999 so there's nothing really left to hunt down.

I'm sure there are a lot of happy parents (less broken teeth) and a lot of unhappy dentists (lost income) with that decision

haha not bad unless he does a legends all time greats card Auto or Patch or Museum Piece.

i think a recent series had a Dan Marino Legends Patch Auto
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Trading cards, wow I used to be into the NSWRL and then ARL cards in a big way. So that must of been 93,94,95,96 and 97 was my last year collecting as that was when SL occurred?
    I remember there was a Phil Blake card must of been in the 93 or 94 set - he was wearing a North's jersey but it was a Canberra card? Or something like that. It took me forever to find a kid who would trade that. I think he was injured for the whole season so never could match the card up against the player on the tv.

Also collected the TMNT cards, batman and GI Joe cards. I never saw any TF cards in NZ so I guess they didn't get that far.

Nowadays I only have the G1 Aus TF card set. The folders from the league cards are somewhere...wow I remember when I would send away for the folders and they would arrive 2 months later in the mail. That was a great feeling.

As for chase cards etc, I never had much luck. I see boxes of sealed cards at the fairs now and I wonder if I should just buy one for the sake of it!

Just went to the box where I thought the cards might be, didn't find any of the above but I found a set of 2005 NRL cards in their folder. Only series 1 and no special cards. I counted 17 players still playing today Cameron Smith looks super young but JT still looks the same. Weird.

I really don't recall where I got this set from, I must of purchased it as a full set somewhere back in time

I had the Space Jam cards (and Tazos) that I was mad for as a young lad. Lots of various NBA, Spiderman, Oddbodz(?) and ARL cards too, that are all in terrible shape from living in my pockets and bag.

When I was a bit older I got into Magic a bit, but never had the cash to really make more than a basic deck, I remember going down to the old tin soldier in the 'Riff and getting single cards I needed every now after school.

Then during in about 2000 I got right into the DBZ CCG game, went mad trying to complete sets, the cards were hard to find and about $7-$9 a pack. Everytime I'd go to the city I would try to buy a pack or two of Frieza saga cards from the game store opposite Kings comics, but trips were few and far between. Blacktown used to have a toy store that sold the Android and Cell set and Plumpton had a tobacconist that I bought their entire stock from, but even when the $AU was at 50c to the greenback it was cheaper to buy online, so I'd save my birthday money and get starter decks and boosters en mass then.

Then a few years later, Coles sold off Buu and Saiyan card sets for $5 a pack, then $2 a pack and the then gf (now missus) would get me a few packs a weekend!

After all that I never managed a full set. I only ever pulled one Ultra rare in at least 500 booster packs and about 35 starter decks. I am one card off completing the Babidi saga, and I have more or less every card bar the ultra rares, which sadly go for $60-$150 or more on evilbay, even though they are technically only worth the paper they are printed on. I could print off the ones I need, but it isn't the same, so those gaps in my binders will go unfilled for years and years.

If only I could get rid of the thousands of triples-dozens + copies of common cards I have from all those boosters, you cannot give them away!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    When I was a bit older I got into Magic a bit, but never had the cash to really make more than a basic deck, I remember going down to the old tin soldier in the 'Riff and getting single cards I needed every now after school.
    That was very popular back in the late 90's. When I would finish work for the day, I would hang out at my mates card shop while the school kids would sit at the table in front of the counter and play Magic until closing time. Never understood it myself but it did look like a good bit of fun.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That was very popular back in the late 90's. When I would finish work for the day, I would hang out at my mates card shop while the school kids would sit at the table in front of the counter and play Magic until closing time. Never understood it myself but it did look like a good bit of fun.
    Magic is pretty awesome. Cards are useless now since you can play software versions of it on your playstation/PC. I remember playing it after school and people would tend to cheat if they were losing badly.

Cards don't seem to be worth much these days, should have sold them when they were hot! some cards used to be worth like 20 dollars +! now on ebay they are like 2-3 dollars...

The card below would have been worth heaps back in the day before the software version of the game (which i regard as the best if you get her out near the start or have a life gainer deck) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SERRA-AVA...473d420&_uhb=1

Default Note: Not all cards in series are shown in the below photos.

Really surprised that a thread of this subject hasn't popped up before? - You were right Sharky!

As the man mentioned, we'd gotten to discussing and reminiscing about Trading Cards and whether or not others here still did collect or if they did at all and what the stories of others might be.

So I myself kind of collect on & off, it all depends on my mood at the time, what it is I'm aiming to get but ultimately my bank balance!

Being born in the '80s and growing up through the '90s, I was lucky enough to experience the Golden period of Trading Card collecting; sure it wasn't to the nth degree as others, but I experienced Basketball cards getting banned from School, then Caps/Pogs/Tazos and everything in between!

I believe the 1st ever card I had was an early '90s Chicago Bulls: Michael Jordan card, it was given to me by one of my 1st grade friends as it was a double to him but apart from the fact that it was a card of Michael Jordan & the Chicago Bulls (Coz everyone liked them back then! ), I never really caught-on with Basketball cards as I just didn't much care for B-Ball at the time and it wasn't long after that that they were banned anyway!

What I did like though was the idea of collecting these pocket-sized pieces of artwork and it wasn't long before I learnt that there was a stall that sold all sorts of trading cards at my local Trash & Treasure Market - I was hooked.

I only ever achieved (What I perceived to be) complete sets of cards with 3 lines back then; Goosebumps Action cards (Which all got stolen 1 day at School ), Space Oddbodz and the 1st Edition of Looney Toons-based Tazos.

As mentioned, all the Goosebumps cards I collated through actually buying MANY packets of Smith's chips and were all flogged whilst my bag was in the Cloak Room back in Primary - I was crushed by this, as well as the knowledge that only 3 or 4 friends even knew I had them in there; I honestly can't remember what happened to my Tazo collection, as I had the Looney Toons as well as the Simpsons & Star Wars sets... suffice it to say they're all gone now and the only remnant I have is 1 Official Lime Green Lenticular Slammer!

Remarkably, I still have my entire '96 Glow-Zone Space Oddbodz collection! - Albeit in a '95 Original series Oddbodz "Flip 'n' Folder" (The ONLY set to survive my childhood to this day! ):

So last year some time, after picking up a trio of Goosebumps books that I once had as a kid that were my favourites (Night of The Living Dummy I-III ), I got bit by a massive nostalgia bug that caused me to seek out a couple of pieces of merchandise, namely, the set of '97 Smith's Goosebumps Action Cards that had been stolen from me nearly 20 years prior!

This proved to be a time-tasking prospect, as there were many listings on eBay with incomplete sets of varying amounts, but I wanted THE LOT in as fewer swoops as possible because it originally took me forever to get them in the 1st place as a kid; I then happened upon a pair of listings from 1 Seller with exactly what I was looking for AND they included the appropriate display sheets!

I don't think I can appropriately describe to you the feeling I felt once I had all 60 Action Cards of Series 1 & all 40 of Series 2 back in my possession after 20 odd years!

After a week or so of having those back, I was reminded by the fact that Goosebumps also had a line of Caps(Pogs/Tazos) available too that accompanied a pair of Short-Story books; A little bit of research, over several sites which is something I've come to learn is a regular thing as rarely does a site ever have all the info about anything , later I tracked down the '95 Parachute Press series I recalled from childhood that I was after and have amassed NEARLY the entire set!
    (Missing numbers: #3, #6, #10 & #30 if anyone can help out? - I've a stack of doubles for Trade )

I'm hoping to someday complete that series, but it in-turn reminded me that there were a set of actual Trading Cards from Goosebumps too!

This series I knew less about and upon some research found they weren't too hard to get apart from the fact that they were NEVER released in Australia! - This made things more difficult and forced me to look abroad (Which has become a recurring thing) in order to obtain and complete the set.

As such, I found a listing for the entire 54 card Base set of '96 Topps Goosebumps cards that was both REALLY affordable in both asking price AND postage from the US; Several artists were sort for this series (Much like many other series) and some were very clearly better than others, which explains why the 2nd Series saw only a Promo card and nothing else - So this isn't my favourite set but I have nearly all of these too.
    (Just missing #1 from the Glow-in-The-Dark Chase set, #6 of the "Heat Activated" Chase set but that is currently on its way , #6 of the Foil Stickers, All 6 of the Embossed Cards which were Factry Box exclusive & the sole Promo card )

Another series of cards I picked up recently purely due to nostalgia reasons was the "complete" '95 Fleer AAAHH!!! Real Monsters set.

As a kid of the '90s, I grew up watching afternoon ABC kids programming and they aired all the Nickelodeon animated classics! (Rugrats, Angry Beavers, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold & Cat-Dog ) and my most favourite of all of them was AAAHH!!! Real Monsters; with the advent of the entire series being released on DVD locally and my subsequent acquisition of those AND the entire toy line (Not all toys or Boxsets shown ), I quite literally thought "What the Hey?" and decided to pick the card series up too.

This series has proven to be practically impossible to complete as it has a 90 card Base set (Which I have), a 10 card "Colouring" Chase set (Which I have), a 24 card "Pop-ups" Chase (Available ONLY in "Ultra" packs!?! never seen that listing & the cards are EXTREMELY rare ), a 4 card "Hologram" Chase (Again only available in "Ultra" packs & I've NEVER even seen these cards!) and an uncut "Promo" sheet of 4 cards that has 3 separate variations - I don't believe this series was ever released in Australia either (Could be wrong there) and as such I've decided I'm content with what I have here :

I'm a Marvel bloke (With the exception of Batman and ONLY Batman ) and my No.1 Favourite superhero of all time is Spider-Man ; I utterly dig the Web-Head and whilst I was at the aforementioned Trash & Treasure Card stall one Sunday as a kid, I came across a series of relevant cards that had some of THE coolest artwork I'd ever seen on a Trading card before - I couldn't afford to buy many at the time so I just cherry-picked a few that stood out to me the most...

I held onto those cards until a couple of years after High School when I was going through some stuff and found this handful of cards (Along with a couple of others that'll we'll get to next ), it was around '05-'06 I believe and my Father & I had just signed up to this site called "eBay" - On it, I found that one could purchase all sorts of things and I came to find that people in America had entire Base sets of cards (Some even with Chases! ) which included the very series that I had a handful of!

Along with 1 other... The '96 Fleer/Skybox Spider-Man Premium series 100 card Base set & 6 card "Canvas" Chase set formed half of my very 1st eBay purchase roughly 8 or 9 years ago! , I recently found out that I'm missing all 3 "Holomotion" Chase cards and 4 Promo cards (As well as 1 Uncut 4 card Promo sheet & Dealer sheet w/ Checklist) which I might track down at some point... but "Man-Oh-Man" was it such a revelation back then as to how incredibly awesome & just HOW MANY amazing pieces of art this card series actually contained!

I LOVE this series:

Last and most definitely not least (For now ), we have the other series of cards I alluded to just above.

This series holds a very special place for me as the 1st couple of cards I had from it were given to me by an old friend back in Primary School; the franchise that this series was based on had only just recently (At the time) had a Cartoon start airing that I absolutely fell in love with, it left a long lasting impression on me that survives to this day and was the topic of conversation that lead to my friend passing along said cards.

It was only a couple; about 3 from the Base set, 1 of the "Powerblast" Chases & 1 of the "Glow-in-The-Dark" Chases - their corners were folded, 1 or 2 of them had crease lines in them, but their subject matter absolutely struck a cord with me just as much as their artwork & cartoon did!

I bought several more of them, however, from the Trash & Treasure's Trading Card stall over a number of successive Sundays with the little Pocket Money I ever received back in those days; I tended to aim for the cards which had the best looking artwork, to my mind, which lead to a rather sporadic and disjointed collection that I never ended up completing.

Like the Spider-Man cards, I kept the remnants of this collection hidden away until rediscovering them after High School in '05-'06; they would eventually be discarded after such a long time however because they were replaced by what was the other half of my 1st ever purchase over eBay - All 100 Base cards, 9 "Powerblast" Chases, 10 "Suspended Animation" Chases (Of which I'd never seen before, prior to receiving this series from America ) and 5 "Luma Bone" Chases encompassed the Trading Card set I was most proud of obtaining...

...I didn't know it at the time but it turned out that this series WASN'T complete! , no, it was only a couple of weeks ago that I learned of this and it was the gentleman known as Sharky who brought my ignorance to a sudden & crashing halt!

Just kidding - I'm actually greatly appreciative of him bringing this knowledge to my attention, as he just casually during conversation over twitter asked if my collection included the 5 "Ultraprint" Promo cards, 8 "Cut" Promos and 2 "Uncut" 4 Card Promos?

Well, I had 6 of the "Cut" Promo cards and thought that they, as well as the previously listed cards in this series, formed the "Complete" lot! - At least that's what the eBay listing lead me to believe ; I never knew of Ultraprints, just assumed the Uncut Promos were literally just uncut cards from the factory and because the Cut Promo cards aren't numbered in any way shape or form along with the eBay listing never suggesting that they were all present, I didn't know I was missing 2 more cards!...

Well I soon put it into action that I would obtain each & every last card from this series and Sharky very kindly assisted me in the process by scouring eBay locally to find the applicable listings; with his help & my own findings I now have all 5 Ultraprints, both Uncut Promos and now currently have the last 2 Cut promos required on their way from the U.S.A.

Here is my TRUE 99% complete, '95 Fleer Ultra Skeleton Warriors Trading Card collection!

...and thus you have the stories and the pics of what comprises my Trading Card collection.

I hope to see more collections and stories from you guys, hell, hopefully this thread can rise people's own latent interests in Trading cards and even eventually assist people in completing their own various collections - Much like that of the G1 Transformers Trading Cards threads.

It's been a fun past month or so getting back into Trading Cards, Sharky and myself have had many Twitter conversations on the subject that finally culminated in this thread and I've really enjoyed sharing this with you all.

Those collections are awesome! I collected so many of these though not as much as some of you.
    Oddbodz, Tazos, Marvel uhhh so cool. Never collected any sports related stuff, I just didn't find
    it as interesting or cool.

But Glocaps were my favorite. Especially the red glowing ones!

My most prized collections were(not my photos, all long gone ):

Sonic The Hedgehog Caps The Game

Mortal Kombat Caps The Game

Can't go wrong with video games, pog and glow-in-the-dark all in one
    The Mortal Kombat series had a lot of different colored slammers. Slammers were the business!

Wow awesome, I too hope this thread gets some trading going. Did anyone collect the WWF cards? I remember million dollar man was freaking hard to find. I think each series was only 20 cards or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    What I did like though was the idea of collecting these pocket-sized pieces of artwork and it wasn't long before I learnt that there was a stall that sold all sorts of trading cards at my local Trash & Treasure Market - I was hooked.
    You were lucky you had the stall. Once I left primary school I couldn't find anyone who collected anything but on a trip to wellington I came across a shop called Card Crazy. As my dad worked in the area I would give him my spare cards and the lists of cards I wanted. It was always exciting to see if he managed to get to the store and what he could find.

Hursty awesome coverage ofyour collection the photos turned out great.

here is a look inside one of my boxes..well the box i keep the good cards in anyway

and a sampling of some of the cards

Mostly NRL with a few movie, TV show and misc stuff thrown in for good measure
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy