Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172232 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    So HD you removed the stickers one by one and reapplied them as normal after cleaning? What kind of sorcery is this?
    Yup. I removed all the stickers and then when its white, reapplied them. Merlin's magic potion removes stickers fast and easy and when dry allows stickers to re-attain their natural stickiness.

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    hmmm does that mean pretty soon the white will turn back to dirty brown again
    Hmmm... I really don't know. Right now the entire nosecone area has returned to its original jet black lustre. The white is still looking pretty sharp.

These are pics from Wednesday (2 days ago).

Close up of black nosecone area.

Great tips, I wish I'd known this earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Great tips, I wish I'd known this earlier.
    the magic juice can also loosen stiff joints...

Whitening of all of Dai Atlas' white parts that are slightly yellowed have began. I've placed them in my trusty bottle of 3% H2O2 at my buddy's 50th floor apartment at World Tower. That high up (closer to the sky ) and with the amount of sun it gets, I'm suspecting 1.5 to 2 days would do it.

"Before" pictures...

congrats on fixing up your galaxy shuttle HD!
    Always great to see toys being revitalised to their former glory.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    This is the soaking jar:
    man that jar looks pretty big. how wide is it?

im actually very surprised that you can whiten all of the parts only after a few days in the sun with 3% H2O2. usually at that low concentration it would take me weeks and the overcrowding of the parts doesnt help either. that is why i swapped over to using a UV lamp and much higher concentration H2O2.

perhaps sydney's sunlight is more UV intense than perth? LOL

cant wait to see you whiten your other victory and masterforce TFs.
    for some reason, the white plastic from those series appears to be more susceptible to yellowing...

The Slugslinger dual cockpit has finally finished restoring much of it's color. Unfortunately it is far from perfect.

The color isn't exactly like the original as it has a bleached sort of look. On top of that much of the surface has been damaged with odd powdery looking spots - This seems to be a common plastic surface reaction to the H2O2 with 1987 toys. Oddly enough, the unyellowed surface area under the plastic is unspoiled.

On the bright side, this will certainly display much better than a yellowed figure as you can see by the picture but it will still have a worn and damaged look on the surface of the plastic. Due to this, I would not classify the result as a fix.

Unfortunately the surface defects don't come out in photos but are very visible in person. I have also linked a high-res picture which shows a bit of the surface defects at the tip of the nosecones but it still not representative of the actual damage.

High-Res photo:

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/1azyellow4.JPG

Regardless of the damage Kup, Wow! - That is a hell of an improvement!

Still an improvement though. Bring it along to the meet on Saturday, would be good to see it in person.

definitely an improvement! Is it closer to white now than grey?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    The Slugslinger dual cockpit has finally finished restoring much of it's color. Unfortunately it is far from perfect.

The color isn't exactly like the original as it has a bleached sort of look. On top of that much of the surface has been damaged with odd powdery looking spots - This seems to be a common plastic surface reaction to the H2O2 with 1987 toys. Oddly enough, the unyellowed surface area under the plastic is unspoiled.

On the bright side, this will certainly display much better than a yellowed figure as you can see by the picture but it will still have a worn and damaged look on the surface of the plastic. Due to this, I would not classify the result as a fix.

Unfortunately the surface defects don't come out in photos but are very visible in person. I have also linked a high-res picture which shows a bit of the surface defects at the tip of the nosecones but it still not representative of the actual damage.

High-Res photo:

http://kupscigar.com/fixes/1azyellow4.JPG
    This is exactly what has happened to a part of my Fort Max.
    Wanted: G1 Liokaiser parts | unbroken G1 Smokescreen/Prowl/Bluestreak roofs | G1 Overlord tank barrel and tank orange cockpit canopy