Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Stephenson RIP

Default John Stephenson RIP

Knew it was erroneously reported a few years ago that he had passed on. Terrible to hear regardless.

http://www.newsfromme.com/2015/05/17...phenson-r-i-p/

Voice actor John Stephenson died Friday night at the age of 91. He had been suffering from Alzheimer's for some time and living in a nursing home. Several years ago, reports of his declining health somehow led to a series of erroneous Internet reports that he had passed. This time, sadly, it's so.

Stephenson's long, prolific career began in 1948 when he moved to Hollywood from his native Wisconsin. He quickly became a working actor on radio dramas and began landing roles in film and on television. In fact, it would be hard to find a TV show filmed in Hollywood between 1953 and about 1968 that he didn't guest on. You can catch him on reruns of The Lone Ranger, The Beverly Hillbillies, F Troop, Get Smart, Green Acres, Hogan's Heroes, Perry Mason, That Girl, The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, The People's Choice, The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis and so many more. In the sixties though, he was getting so much work in voiceovers that he abandoned his "on camera" career.

He did hundreds of commercials and announcing jobs. His was the voice that announced the verdicts at the end of the sixties' Dragnet series.

And he worked incessantly in cartoons, mainly for Hanna-Barbera. He was heard often on the original Flintstones series, voicing Fred's boss Mr. Slate and dozens of supporting characters. On the series Top Cat, he spoke for the character Fancy-Fancy and, again, dozens of supporting characters. On Jonny Quest, he was Dr. Benton Quest. On other H-B shows, he played recurring and guest roles to the extent that he may have been the most-heard actor on their shows. Joe Barbera loved him and the feeling was mutual. (I took the above photo of him at a party for Mr. Barbera.)

Fans here would arguably know him best as the voices of G1 Thundercracker, post-Movie Kup, Alpha Trion, Huffer, Windcharger, Devcon, the cross-series Hector Ramirez & many more.

Very sad. RIP. He had one heck of an interesting life.

RIP to the voice of my favourite Decepticon Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    RIP to the voice of my favourite Decepticon Jet.
    He is also my favourite Seeker/Jet

RIP
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

sad

another link to the past gone. Thanks for early morning cartoon memories

That's the second Voice Actor who's been to a BotCon that I've seen to have gone.... and the age of many of them from Gen1 means we should get used to this happening more in the next few years.

The Gen1 voices now gone...
    Roger C. Carmel - Bruticus, Cyclonus, Motormaster, Unicron (post movie)
    Phillip Clark - Dead End, Tantrum, Abdul Fakkadi, Auggie Cahnay
    Rege Cordic - Menasor, Quintesson Judge (movie)
    Scatman Crothers - Jazz
    Walker Edmiston - Inferno
    Ron Feinberg - Headstrong
    Ron Gans - Dragstrip
    Linda Gary - Chromia
    Ed Gilbert - Blitzwing, Thrust, Shawn Berger
    Jim Gosa - Abominus
    Johnny Haymer - Highbrow, Swindle, Vortex
    Buster Jones - Blaster
    Stan Jones - Scourge, Pounce, Weirdwolf, Lord Zarak
    Casey Kasem - Bluestreak, Cliffjumper, Dr Archeville, Teletran 1
    Aron Kincaid - Sky Lynx
    Bert Kramer - Computron
    Chris Latta - Starscream, Defensor, Reflector, Skullcruncher, Wheeljack, Sparkplug, Snake
    Don Messick - Gears, Ratchet, Scavenger
    Jeff McKay - Fireflight
    Leonard Nimoy - Galvatron (movie)
    Tony Pope - Wreck-Gar (post movie)
    Ken Sansom - Hound
    Tony St James - Blot, Brawl, Cutthroat
    Robert Stack - Ultra Magnus (movie)
    John Stephenson - Huffer, Windcharger, Thundercracker, Alpha Trion, Kup (post movie)
    Lionel Stander - Kup (movie)
    Orson Welles - Unicron (movie)
    Last edited by griffin; 19th May 2015 at 05:17 PM.

RIP G1 Thundercracker, my favourite G1 character. I'd loved to have met him.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That's the second Voice Actor who's been to a BotCon that I've seen to have gone.... and the age of many of them from Gen1 means we should get used to this happening more in the next few years.
    Griffin, do you have a list of which G1 voice actors are still with us?

In so many ways G1 feels like it wasn't that long ago. It seems like only yesterday I was watching these cartoons as a kid.

Then your brought back to reality with this stuff; time really does fly. People get older people die. One day all of a sudden your 38 years old......but still loving G1 and the transformers

It's just a big reminder when sad things like this happen.

Its really sad to see another childhood favourite leave us Growing old sucks.

I knew we'd lost a lot of voice actors, but I didn't realise it was so many. Thanks for the list griffin.