Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasbro MP Optimus pics & compared to JP version

This OP has been released on TAOBAO, RMB980(AU$148).

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    A Hasbro version of a toy looking better than the Takara release? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?
    I personally don't think it looks better than the TakaraTOMY version -- unless you happen to prefer cartoony colours. I don't, but for approx. half the price of MP10 it's acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many View Post
    I also don't consider the Tak/Tom colour to be blue, I would call it more a purple which does match up with the original G1 toy colours.
    Having seen/handled MP10 IRL I don't think it's purple, but a dark blue like the original G1 toy. The G2 (1993 standard) toy and the reissues are more of a purple-blue, but the original is pure blue.

Quote Originally Posted by ITZTRU View Post
    In Prime's case, I just feel (IMO) that the shade of blue is too light for my liking.
    I agree, but they're attempting to mimick the cartoon colours which were lighter. I prefer the darker colours, but I'm not going to pay nearly double the price (plus shipping) for it. Besides, I have MP10 which already has fairly G1 accurate colours anyway. In a way, having the lighter colours is cool to me because it helps make the toy feel more distinct from MP01. He shall be "Masterpiece G2 Optimus Prime" in the Gokiverse (based on the lighter coloured variant of G2 1993 Optimus Prime )

Did we get confirmation that the RRP here was going to be $150 or was that just speculation?

The $150 price-tag was from TRU AUS (posted here back in May), but as with anything, can change at any time.

I therefore estimated (back then, when I also posted it on TFW), that it would likely be US$100 when released in America... and yesterday it was proved to be a correct guess.

Kinda glad I got the JP version.
    Probably not worth the extra cost of importing it just for the colours though.
    Either way, awesome TF and well worth getting.

In Prime's case, I just feel (IMO) that the shade of blue is too light for my liking.
    Keep in mind the camera flash effect that makes Hasbro plastic colours look a lot plainer and brighter. I'm quietly hoping it will look a lot less pastel in real light.

Purple? :\

Anyway, I complain more about the 'shade' of the color apps, not so much the lack there of on a particular area of the toy such as headlights ect. Prime Bulkhead comes to mind. I'd rather hasbro over TT.

Ditto - Completely agree here.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The $150 price-tag was from TRU AUS (posted here back in May), but as with anything, can change at any time.

I therefore estimated (back then, when I also posted it on TFW), that it would likely be US$100 when released in America... and yesterday it was proved to be a correct guess.
    Vindication for you Griffin, in light of so many naysayers Internationally.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I agree, but they're attempting to mimick the cartoon colours which were lighter.
    I still feel it's TOO light. Even if what Lint suggests is correct and the flash is too bright, I feel it would still be too light for my liking.

I know this is just one of many screen shots of Prime from the cartoon but I don't imagine the color varying too much from the one I've posted here:

I still feel it's TOO light. Even if what Lint suggests is correct and the flash is too bright, I feel it would still be too light for my liking.
    I'm inclined to agree -- most cartoon-like colours err on the side of being brighter, though not quite "hurt-your-eyes-gaudy-day-glo" bright like the yellows we had on Armada Hot Shot and Universe Sunstreaker. <shudder> I think the colours on the TakTOM version do look better hands down... but I'm personally not prepared to pay nearly double the price for it. If the colours really bug you that much and you're willing to pay extra for nicer colours, then perhaps the TakTOM version would suit you better.

Atm it seems the Hasbro version is more suited for:
    a) People who prefer cartoon colours and find this to be an acceptable approximation of said colours.
    b) People who don't necessarily prefer the colours but are too tight-bummed to pay extra for the TakTOM version (like moi! )