Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: POTP Predaking galleries

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    The thing is though that in terms of backpack kibble, is it any worse than the G1 figure.
    No but that’s the problem it’s no better when it should be. Especially being voyager size they should be able to hide it a bit better

Actually with the exception of the tail, it's no worse than the G1 figure.
    Divebomb is the Predacon I'm most familiar with (as he was the one I've had since being a kid) but to compare I went and got him.

The G1 's "backpack" is in height about 1/2 to 2/3 the height of his body so the head is about halfway down (central, balanced), while the new one has the head so far down is accentuates the backpack making it look (way too much) bigger.

The "backpack" is short enough that it's just on his back leaving the legs and tail separate (and the waist swivel unaffected); he's streamlined, more animal like. The new one looks like a block with a head attached.

The original "backpack" is molded like engines/boosters so they seem to have a reason to be there on this bird (as much as Laserbeak's for instance). The new one again fails with this from what I can see

I'll accept I have a 30 year bond with the original so my expectations are high and using the wings to make the torso is clever. But I think I'd prefer to have seen a remold of POTP Swoop for my preferred POTP Divebomb.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Divebomb is the Predacon I'm most familiar with (as he was the one I've had since being a kid) but to compare I went and got him.

The G1 's "backpack" is in height about 1/2 to 2/3 the height of his body so the head is about halfway down (central, balanced), while the new one has the head so far down is accentuates the backpack making it look (way too much) bigger.
    I actually don't think the head situation is that bad, looking at comparative photos. The photos which show him in a flight position on Seibertron have the head in the same position. What might be causing the issue is that the top of the backpack features those two black blocks which lack moulding, which I'll address shortly. I think the problem is more that with the top piece of the backpack being the same colour as the head, the head gets lost visually far easier than it does on the G1 figure. I'd have kept them yellow - unless something in Predaking's deco was so crucial that it meant they had to be black.

The "backpack" is short enough that it's just on his back leaving the legs and tail separate (and the waist swivel unaffected); he's streamlined, more animal like. The new one looks like a block with a head attached.

The original "backpack" is molded like engines/boosters so they seem to have a reason to be there on this bird (as much as Laserbeak's for instance). The new one again fails with this from what I can see
    The moulding is definitely the problem there, but I'd argue that not in the way you're arguing it is. I note that behind the 2 black strips across the top are what looks like part of an air intake system and the tailwing assembly looks like a thrust nozzle. The problem I see is that top black piece. Had it been actually moulded as a pair of air intakes, then the whole backpack would easily have looked like a scramjet with wings, which would have been incredibly fitting for Divebomb. Sadly, those 2 unfinished parts have let the entire backpack section down compared to what it could have been.

I'll accept I have a 30 year bond with the original so my expectations are high and using the wings to make the torso is clever. But I think I'd prefer to have seen a remold of POTP Swoop for my preferred POTP Divebomb.
    I appreciate where you're coming from but I don't see how it would have been possible for them to do that, have the proportions as they do and give Predaking a giant backpack with wings.

I appreciate where you're coming from but I don't see how it would have been possible for them to do that, have the proportions as they do and give Predaking a giant backpack with wings.
    My preference for a new Divebomb toy would be a remold of Swoop but yes that'd be impossible with the current giant Predaking. But if Predaking had been designed in scale with and was compatible with the other combiners it would be fine.

Scans from a Japanese hobby magazine this month, features Predaking over several pages... and since the Japanese release is expected to be the same as the Hasbro release, these photos should be fairly accurate to what we will see released here mid-year.

bowspearer Guest

A really nice touch is the transforming Prime Master. Really wish they'd done that with the other enigmas.