Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall of Cybertron figures! (images added - post 21)

I edited my post above, as I had a quick look at what is so far known, speculated, and expected for the FOC toys.
    I counted 9 so far... more if we get other Dinobots.

Apparently these will be coming out in August/September... with the game out in December.

Why exactly did they change Prime's look? This thing is uuuuugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Why exactly did they change Prime's look? This thing is uuuuugly.
    I agree.

They're trying to visually tell a story with his changing aesthetic. But Hasbro seems hell bent on shoehorning the WFC/FOC into their Prime continuity (despite WFC's 5,492 nods and references to the G1 cartoon and comics) so why they'd head into boxier G1 territory is a mystery. Megatron's design has been revised also, but seems even more spiky and Bayified than before.

Honestly, I'd prefer if it didn't lead into either G1 or Prime, and instead led into it's own new version of a G1 continuity. If they did an eventual game that led to the Autobots and Cons awakening on earth, that'd be awesome. Even better if they used the existing Classics designs for characters where applicable - an easy win for Hasbro with toy tie-ins while giving a second chance to anyone who missed out on crucial Classics characters first time around. But that's just me wishing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutton View Post
    I agree.

They're trying to visually tell a story with his changing aesthetic. But Hasbro seems hell bent on shoehorning the WFC/FOC into their Prime continuity (despite WFC's 5,492 nods and references to the G1 cartoon and comics) so why they'd head into boxier G1 territory is a mystery. Megatron's design has been revised also, but seems even more spiky and Bayified than before.

Honestly, I'd prefer if it didn't lead into either G1 or Prime, and instead led into it's own new version of a G1 continuity. If they did an eventual game that led to the Autobots and Cons awakening on earth, that'd be awesome. Even better if they used the existing Classics designs for characters where applicable - an easy win for Hasbro with toy tie-ins while giving a second chance to anyone who missed out on crucial Classics characters first time around. But that's just me wishing out loud.
    Off the top of my head, one of the earlier screen shots for Fall of Cybertron featured Cliffjumper, using Bumblebee's body, but Prime Cliffjumper's head, and the concept art for what is presumed to be the Nemesis in FOC looks exactly the same as the Prime Nemesis design.

Look at his head! LOOK AT HIS HEAD:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...1318472757.jpg

Meanwhile, the Prime tv show has taken some basic visual elements from the WFC video game to represent Cybertron and Primus (or as the game vaguely refers to him, as the "Core of Cybertron"), with the backstory based upon Hasbro's own story bible for the Aligned continuity (Dark Energon, corruption of the planet's core, the bestowing of the Matrix of Leadership onto Optimus).

It doesn't really matter what High Moon thinks or what G1 references they have inserted into WFC/FOC. They're marketing their game towards a gaming audience who vaguely know Transformers, and quite frankly, there's not that many G1 references in WFC anyway that can't simply be repurposed to be something that also happened in the Aligned continuity. No, I do not count lines cribbed from Transformers The Movie as continuity reference.

This is what the wiki refers to as a Continuity Family. You know how the G1 Marvel Comics, the G1 Cartoon and various other G1 continuities can in no way work together, yet are still considered to be G1? Same thing. Aligned (the Prime universe) is a Continuity Family, under which many different continuities, often with some commonality but otherwise might be difficult to reconcile with each other, can exist under one umbrella.

I don't know why people are so offended by the notion of WFC/FOC being part of Prime.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Mmm not bad, these look like pretty cool additions to the War For Cybertron style subline. And it seems like Hasbro may have attempted to make a new combiner too.

So yeah nice, but I'm not about to jump on this new era of Hasbro bandwagon thing, not at least until we see more. They pretty cool, but personally I'd still prefer to see new Generations moulds. The original War for Cybertron toys were nice but they weren't nearly as good as the G1 style Generations toys that accompanied them.

Still it looks like I will now be buying some Hasbro products this year other than GI Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    You need to go and burn all the over flowing DOTM toys at local retailers to force them to stock new TF figures. It's not as if anyone would buy them
    Don't forget to burn that shelf warmer Generations Warpath too, clearly no one likes him either.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    Off the top of my head, one of the earlier screen shots for Fall of Cybertron featured Cliffjumper, using Bumblebee's body, but Prime Cliffjumper's head, and the concept art for what is presumed to be the Nemesis in FOC looks exactly the same as the Prime Nemesis design.

Look at his head! LOOK AT HIS HEAD:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-...1318472757.jpg

Meanwhile, the Prime tv show has taken some basic visual elements from the WFC video game to represent Cybertron and Primus (or as the game vaguely refers to him, as the "Core of Cybertron"), with the backstory based upon Hasbro's own story bible for the Aligned continuity (Dark Energon, corruption of the planet's core, the bestowing of the Matrix of Leadership onto Optimus).

It doesn't really matter what High Moon thinks or what G1 references they have inserted into WFC/FOC. They're marketing their game towards a gaming audience who vaguely know Transformers, and quite frankly, there's not that many G1 references in WFC anyway that can't simply be repurposed to be something that also happened in the Aligned continuity. No, I do not count lines cribbed from Transformers The Movie as continuity reference.

This is what the wiki refers to as a Continuity Family. You know how the G1 Marvel Comics, the G1 Cartoon and various other G1 continuities can in no way work together, yet are still considered to be G1? Same thing. Aligned (the Prime universe) is a Continuity Family, under which many different continuities, often with some commonality but otherwise might be difficult to reconcile with each other, can exist under one umbrella.

I don't know why people are so offended by the notion of WFC/FOC being part of Prime.
    I cannot agree that WFC fits in the 'Prime/aligned continuity' as Sunbow, Marvel, DW and IDW G1 fit in the 'G1 continuity'.

What the TFwiki has dubbed the 'G1 continuity family' encompasses different continuities but they are all undeniably using G1 characters.

Transformers Prime and the WFC continuity may be different continuities like in the G1 family but they are both considerably different to one another without the same similarities that the G1 continuities share, particularly when it comes to the characters. When you break it all down, WFC and Prime have as much in common as G1 and Armada - Yeah there are several similarities which could be used to shoe horn things together but that doesn't change that both franchises are drastically different and have been placed as such by your own 'continuity family' category system.

I am pretty sure that if Hasbro had not come forth with their 'WFC is TF Prime' policy, you would have placed WFC within the G1 continuity family as logically, it has more in common with G1 than any other franchise. Several of the other references that supposedly 'link them' such as Dark energon have been used drastically different for each and other similarities seem borrowed or incidental at best such as the similarities that G1, RID, Armada and even the Movie verse share.

Obviously Hasbro is still sticking to this 'WFC is Prime' policy and Cliffjumper has been changed aesthetically to match (this could have easily been done to sell the TF Prime toy too) but I am still yet to see something fundamental outside of the marketing dribble and the wiki's own doctrine that tells me that WFC is TF Prime.

I just hope things don't get spoiled as a result of this as I am not particularly fond of what TF Prime has done with their story (particularly Unicron) and I would hate to see that sort of thing sip into other franchises such as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    You need to go and burn all the over flowing DOTM toys at local retailers to force them to stock new TF figures. It's not as if anyone would buy them
    What? All the Transformers sections I've seen at stores are basically empty and have been since Christmas. Retailers are WAITING for the new stuff to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
    What? All the Transformers sections I've seen at stores are basically empty and have been since Christmas. Retailers are WAITING for the new stuff to show up.
    Maybe in Perth..consider your city fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed
    Don't forget to burn that shelf warmer Generations Warpath too, clearly no one likes him either.
    Yeah, I am not sure what happened there. It seems that when they stocked those figures fairly late, local demand completely went dry on them.

I'll never understand why Hasbro release one wave in massive quantities while restocking with subsequent waves with comparatively tiny quantities. I mean seriously who does these guys numbers? They do it all the time to, again and again.

That said I did notice Toys R Us Miranda actually had no Deluxe TF's at all, while Big W stocked only Prime and Bumblebee.