Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Maz's Articles & Reviews

Maz is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Thank you so much, guys!

All the best
    Maz

Been looking forward to this once since it was mentioned on tfw2005. Great stuff, cant wait for part 2

Default Making the Grade (Part 2)

This is exactly where we left things last week on Part 1. The factory sealed vintage Transformers Generation 1 Aerialbot Fireflight had been photo-analysed, admired, had a potential grading result predicted by a number of experienced collectors and then promptly sent off to the Action Figure Authority (AFA) for grading as part of an experiment. Fireflight has since returned, cased and graded, and this week I’ll be taking you through the minutiae of the grading process and analysing the result to the best of my ability.

Making The Grade (Part 2) | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Wow, interesting, a couple of points -

- As an international customer I always use N/A as my state.

- Great to see you got to select shipping option back, previously they automatically chose fedex or UPS based on the value you estimated the items at. They sent some items back to me UPS and I freaked out because UPS here are useless and right on que my package was lost in UPS pergatory for a week after passing through customs.

- Did you get a grading report? From experience items with grading reports appear to have a more honest grade. Regular submitters seem to be the ones who have items with the most questionable grades.

- Do you think the value you assign the toy influences the grades? Here is one of my prices submissions.

IMO how anyone can think a mint combiner part is worth $800 is beyond me. Sounds like a some agenda is being peddled there.

Good couple of articles Maz. An interesting insight to a world that I have no desire to ever be a part of

Quote Originally Posted by Skullcruncher View Post

IMO how anyone can think a mint combiner part is worth $800 is beyond me. Sounds like a some agenda is being peddled there.
    Yep.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post

Yep.
    Just noticed the misspelling in my submission. AFA got the label right!

Default Collector Interview 32 - Immo de Maar

Immo de Maar is a collector in the strictest sense of the word. Everything that is added to his display and falls into his ownership is for the purpose of the collection, the completion of a sub-section or the overall tapestry. His approach to toy buying is an exercise in strict focus and parameters, leading to huge satisfaction and enjoyment in the big picture. He does not understand the appeal of newer lines, or even reissues, and no doubt some of his opinions will jar with a lot of readers, but he already knows that. What he has created is what I imagine my collection would have looked like had I never branched out from vintage and had so many sell-offs. For myself, and many collectors, it will be a window into a world almost unimaginable for any collector starting out today.

Collector Interview 32 - Immo de Maar | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz

Quote Originally Posted by Maz View Post
    Immo de Maar is a collector in the strictest sense of the word. Everything that is added to his display and falls into his ownership is for the purpose of the collection, the completion of a sub-section or the overall tapestry. His approach to toy buying is an exercise in strict focus and parameters, leading to huge satisfaction and enjoyment in the big picture. He does not understand the appeal of newer lines, or even reissues, and no doubt some of his opinions will jar with a lot of readers, but he already knows that. What he has created is what I imagine my collection would have looked like had I never branched out from vintage and had so many sell-offs. For myself, and many collectors, it will be a window into a world almost unimaginable for any collector starting out today.

Collector Interview 32 - Immo de Maar | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz
    Great article Maz ( as usual )

Sooooooooo many toys I was drooling at.... OMG!!!!!

I might not comment on each article, but I always look forward to reading the next.

Cheers mate

Chris

Wow! What a collection

Default Top 5 Purchases of 2014

2014 has been an incredible year for Transformers collectors, even moreso than 2013 was. This year saw the completion of MMC’s first 3rd party combiner “Feral Rex”, who most people would argue dominated the 3rd Party Predaking wars, as well as the start of the 3rd Party Dinobot Wars where FansProject, FansToys, ToyWorld and others raced to release their interpretations of the beloved robotic dinosaurs. As for official product, we got a new toy line to accompany the 4th live action movie Age of Extinction, more superb Generations figures including Arcee, Jetfire, Rhinox, Brainstorm and Whirl and towards the end of 2014 the Masterpiece line from Takara Tomy really kicked into gear with home runs like Wheeljack and Bumblebee, while Hasbro got their versions of MP Prowl and Sunstorm out, as well as a reissue of Grimlock – but stole a good deal of headlines by introducing the first wave of Combiner Wars and Robots In Disguise figures.

There were other astoundingly good offerings from official and unofficial sources like MakeToys Quantron, Perfect Effect Warden, Transformers Cloud Rodimus and the like. What I want to stress above all, is that this article will cover my personal top 5 purchases of the year…and that will NOT be limited to new toys, but old figures as well that I only just purchased. I began a project whereby I wanted to collect all the vintage and reissued 1/55 scale Macross Valkyries, I uncovered and purchased nearly every vintage bootleg Spanish minibot known and previously undocumented, I rediscovered the Human Alliance and ROTF lines, TFPrime was a flavour I sampled this year and I went back to re-purchase and complete virtually all of TF Animated. Vintage G1 also got a look in as I finally re-added a wonderful G1 Jetfire to my collection, as well as a 1992 Turbomaster Rotorstorm that opened my eyes up to latter era G1 figures. So let’s be clear, this is definitely not a “Top 5 toys of 2014″ list, just the top 5 toys I came in to possession of this year that left the biggest positive mark.

Top 5 Purchases of 2014 | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

All the best
    Maz