View Poll Results: Is Jetfire worth purchasing?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Definitely

24 70.59%
  • Only if cheap

6 17.65%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

4 11.76%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Generations Leader Jetfire

Default Toy Review: Generations Leader Jetfire

Name – Jetfire
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - 1
    Released here – Yes (independents - Sept)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$80 to AU$100
    Approximate Size – unknown
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode – Jet
    Main Features/Gimmicks – Jetfire/Skyfire face; chromed weapons
    Main Colours – white, red
    Main Accessories – 5 guns, 1 fast pack

JET MODE:

Jetfire transforms into a sleek white and red jet which looks really nice. The undercarriage kibble (robot arms and legs) aren't too bad. Note that it is easy to see the second fake cockpit on the underside.

All weapons and the fast pack attach in jet mode, which looks nice except for the missile launcher which protrudes too far from the nose. A really nice jet mode.

TRANSFORMATION:

Transformation is easy and not too hard. The plastic quality isn't the best, probably made worse due to the hollowness of all the parts (thighs, forearms etc are all hollow). As you would expect, all the jet parts are back kibble. Not a very inspiring or clever transformation but it gets the job done.

ROBOT MODE:

The robot mode is really nice, it's got good aesthetics and poseability is good. As mentioned, most of the limbs are hollow (even if it is not required for transformation) to save on plastic, so Jetfire feels very light for it's size. He is also smaller than previous Leaders (slightly bigger than Ultra at a rough guess) but on par with the AOE Leaders.

Once again, all weapons attach and the Jetfire is a separate faceplate that you clamp on. A nice touch is if you don't use it, it can attach to the main gun for storage. The missile launcher is very sensitive, you're likely to accidentally fire the missile when handling it. The boosters also point way too far above his head but you can turn it around to be more in proportion.

CONCLUSION:

Initially, I didn't really like Jetfire due to the hollowness, light feel and uninspiring transformation (it felt like the 2006 Classics Voyager mode did a better job) but he has grown on me. He costs around AU$60 to AU$75 to import which is still cheaper than local prices. Recommended.
    "sometimes the things you see might not be real and the things that are real you might not see"

I saw/handled this toy IRL a few weeks ago and the robot mode looks fantastic, but the wings on the jet mode don't look well proportioned. The wings would look better if they were longer/thinner, and the horizontal stabilisers could probably be smaller. I might get this toy if I saw it in store, but it doesn't appeal to me enough to go to the effort of importing one.

Some comparison piccies...

1985 Gen1 - 2013 HK Henkei (redeco of 2006 Classics) - 2014 Generations

Jet modes of various toys that are Jetfire/Skyfire, or inspired/homaged...

Robot modes...

No Titanium Jetfire?
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I was thinking about including it, but it just stood out too much in both modes due to the Cybertronian alt-mode.

I still like classics Jetfire the best.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

My main gripe is the hollowness. While a more complex transformation would be nice, I'm content with the current transformation.

The hollowness is a gripe because it feels like I'm holding a voyager and not a leader. It's a bit silly considering Jetfire is the tallest of the 'normal' Transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    My main gripe is the hollowness. While a more complex transformation would be nice, I'm content with the current transformation.

The hollowness is a gripe because it feels like I'm holding a voyager and not a leader. It's a bit silly considering Jetfire is the tallest of the 'normal' Transformers.
    I just can't understand the need some fans seem to have for Transformers to have specific weights. While I do get that exposed hollow parts are ugly, the fact remains that engineering has improved since the 1980s and 1990s and as a result our toys today are by and large stronger and lighter. That's a good thing, not a bad thing! In Jetfire's case specifically, he is still clearly quite a large toy, being taller than the G1 and Classics versions as a modern leader class toy. The fact that he weighs less is neither here nor there, surely?

Nonetheless, as much as I want to like Jetfire, I'm struggling. I think it's all the white. I may just wait for the leader class Thundercracker redeco.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    I just can't understand the need some fans seem to have for Transformers to have specific weights. While I do get that exposed hollow parts are ugly, the fact remains that engineering has improved since the 1980s and 1990s and as a result our toys today are by and large stronger and lighter. That's a good thing, not a bad thing! In Jetfire's case specifically, he is still clearly quite a large toy, being taller than the G1 and Classics versions as a modern leader class toy. The fact that he weighs less is neither here nor there, surely?

Nonetheless, as much as I want to like Jetfire, I'm struggling. I think it's all the white. I may just wait for the leader class Thundercracker redeco.
    How is lighter better? Lighter implies less plastic used which means cut corners. How can you justify less material as better?

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    How is lighter better? Lighter implies less plastic used which means cut corners. How can you justify less material as better?
    Quality of material and the way that material is used. I can see Zommamel's point. I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that since the 1980s, better stronger plastics have been developed, which means that you should be able to use less for the same effect.

Sure, the hollow limbs look awful from behind and personally I'd prefer they were covered up. Let's say they did cover them up, we'd never know that he was hollow until you cracked him open.

TBH though, I don't really worry about the weight of Transformers anymore, although it is nice when you pick a figure out of the box, it's chock a block full of metal and it just has that heft to it. Although that can also be a bad thing. Alpha Trion's legs are generally too heavy to hold a set pose for example.