Page 479 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 459469474475476477478479480481482483484489499 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,790 of 10406

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Check put this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetfire#Toys

as a start.

When Hasbro had released all of the old takara moulds under a transformers banner, they wanted to get more product out there and sourced transforming robot designs from other companies in Japan. That included jetfire (and I think roadbuster and whirl) from takatoku, omega supreme from toybox (I think) and the deluxe insecticons from Bandai. In Japan, Bandai then absorbed Takatoku. When Takara re-imported the Transformers line to Japan, they ran into trouble when it came to any of these moulds that Bandai owned the rights to(deluxe insecticons, whirl, roadbuster, jetfire) and so couldn't market them in Japan so they got left out of the cartoon as well. My guess is that by the time hasbro was making these moulds, Bandai owned the rights and insisted theirs be the only stamp on the toy, or maybe it was too expensive to change the moulds.

Cool. it always bugged me that jetfire in the cartoon didn't really look like the toy (in the face anyway) so that probably explains that too.
    how long did bandai own the rights for before they were needed by hasbro
    or do they still own them?

Quote Originally Posted by Geigerrock-2 View Post
    Cool. it always bugged me that jetfire in the cartoon didn't really look like the toy (in the face anyway) so that probably explains that too.
    how long did bandai own the rights for before they were needed by hasbro
    or do they still own them?
    BANDAI agreed top let Hasbro distribute the toys under the Transformers line, however they could not use the toys in the cartoon. Thus Jetfire became Skyfire and changed appearance enough to avoid legal. There is a Hasbro Transformers toy cartoon advert in which Jetfire appears as a toy-accurate Valkyrie Transformer. It was on YouTube... probably still is.

BANDAI still own the rights to the Takatoku Valkyrie mold. Harmony Gold (Robotech) still own the rights to SDF Macross outside of Japan. Thus a re-issue Encore release of Jetfire is... tricky...

The engineers who worked on the original Takatoku mold were later employed by BANDAI. Just as they were about to retire a few years ago their 'baby' came back to them to be re-released under the 'Origin of Valkyrie' line.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

^^ saw the ad. would have been good to see him in the cartoon like that. thanks for clearing that up guys..

random question time....

i'd like to start buying some tf comics.... but having never read any before, i have no idea of what is good and were i should start?

can anybody recommend a series/starting place for me?

i've only ever watched first few seasons of G1 and TF Prime.

thanks in advance

janda

Think this came up recently... but yes. Now is the time.

Start with "The Death of Optimus Prime" which sets up the current Status Quo of the IDW comics. Then the "More than meets the eye" ongoing is the best series in ages and try the "Robots In Disguise" ongoing too. And pick up the "Last Stand of the Wreckers" collection too.

Or

You could read "Regeneration One" starting with the free sampler this weekend, but as a continuation of a G1 comic [that was quite different to the cartoon] I don't think it would appeal to someone new to the stories (it's more a comic that will appeal to those of us that read the original comic in the 80s).

The TF Prime comics are skippable/adapations of the cartoon.

Nothing at the moment is really that much like the G1 cartoon. The All Hail Megatron series was the most recent story with that feel (but it's several years old now).

What Paulbot said.

RE: All Hail Megatron
    IDW re-releases its older issues collated into TPBs (Trade Paperbacks), so that's another way to catch up on older series without having to chase down backissues. A friend of mine who's not a TF fan but used to read TF comics in the 1980s/90s (he borrowed my entire collection once and read them all ) recently saw the AHM TPB in a bookstore and bought it.

cheers Paul... thats exactly what i needed, i'll have to try tracking down a few of your suggestions.

and TPB's you think Gok.... thanks for the tip

appreciate the advice guys

janda

TPBs are good for older series and the Hardcover IDW collections are good from all reports.

Or you can get everything but the latest issues for $2 an issue digitally (www.comixology.com) for PC, laptop, tablet, and/or smartphone reading. Good way to sample too before spending $20-40 on a trade-hardcover.

Last stand of the wreckers hardcover
    Follow me on twitter:
    @Kal_ElofKrypton
    @Soundwaves_cast