Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242939 ... LastLast

Thread: Whitening yellowed toys with Hydrogen Peroxide

I got 35% Hydrogen Peroxide with no issues, but it was back in November.

Since this is the only thread I have seen with recent activity on the peroxide treatment I am hoping I can get answers here. I want to treat my Star Saber. Most of the white pieces I can break down but one section has me troubled. The gold plated section of the tail on my saber jet is in pristine condition but the white tailfins next to it need treating. I would rather not remove the hinge pin if possible. If the gold plating will be fine then I would prefer to treat the piece whole. Going on my experience with doing this on jetfire I will probably get by with one 6-8 hour soak.

Never tried it on chrome pieces but H2O2 is corrosive so I would strongly recommend against it, specially on an expensive and rare vintage figure like Star Saber.

If you can remove the gold plated part then that would probably be best.
    Last edited by kup; 10th April 2011 at 12:40 AM.

Thanks for the reply. Since the gold plating is not ferrous or copper,since it is not green by now, I did not think the oxygen would effect it. My fear was bubbles forming between the plastic and paint like it can do on painted metal parts. Ah well those pieces are not seen much anyways.

I don't think soaking a chrome 'plated' piece of plastic in H2O2 has been done before. I certainly have a 'gut feel' that it'd be detrimental to the chrome and would, like Kup, advise against it.

If you do still decide try it however, please post your results here because they'd be very useful.

I thought someone had accidently done it here and stripped the chrome of the rims of a car or something like that

I know from experience that H202 totally strips chrome. Don't do it!

I'm not sure if this has been discussed...but what about giving a yellowed G1 Slugslinger a H202 bath? There are so many loose, sun damaged ones floating on ebay. Is H202 only recommended for whitening figures that are originally white to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    I'm not sure if this has been discussed...but what about giving a yellowed G1 Slugslinger a H202 bath? There are so many loose, sun damaged ones floating on ebay. Is H202 only recommended for whitening figures that are originally white to begin with?
    Kup did pretty extensive research into the 1987 toys and Slugslinger in particular. You should be able to find photos and write ups by browsing the earlier portions of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    apparently as per kup, slugslinger comes out pretty white... which should not be, since he is somewhat off white, grayish originally. th eplastic seems to loose its luster as well. He did mention that the H2O2 seems to cause changes inn the plastic for late G1 figs
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]