Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo: A Star Wars Story

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire in the sky View Post
    Probably not, the hologram "ends" in Star Wars Rebels.

Its an epic arc and must watch.
    ah...but I am not talking about the hologram.

It's a shame this has bombed. I saw it on the weekend in a packed cinema that seemed to be having a great time, but apparently that's an anomaly. I loved it. It's obviously a different kind of film, but it's not trying to be part of the core trilogies. It's just pure Star wars-branded fun.

L3 is obviously going to be divisive but I think she was brilliant and I've been pleased to see other people in the fandom saying the same, though again obviously that praise will not be universal!

When the movie was announced and after they cast Ehrenreich, I did certainly share the entire planet Earth's concern that you can't replace Harrison Ford and this obviously wasn't going to work, but once I got into the cinema there was not a single second where I didn't buy Ehrenreich as Han. It's certainly no worse than McGregor as Kenobi.

It's not a perfect movie but for the sheer level of fun (and absence of dry, boring crap) I would call it one of my favourite SW movies and I think it will be one of my favourite movies of the year.

Still, there's clearly a powerful lesson here for Disney... even a Star Wars movie story can flop.

So another year another divisive Star Wars film, seems everything has to be divisive these days.

Anyway Solo didn't fly with me, while there's was nothing really terrible about it, there was nothing daring or interesting about it either, it was so mediocre I found myself falling asleep in the cinema, as well as just forgetting what happened while I was watching the movie.

While many of the flaws are shared by Rogue One, unlike Rogue One nothing in this film thrilled me, and for some reason the lighting in almost every shot was really dark so it wasn't even interesting to look at. The whole thing could have been a lesser episode of Rebels.

So far my least favourite of the Disney Star Wars films as well as those films I've seen this year.

I really hope they try something new for the next spin off.

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Brutal. But I loved his impression of millenial youtubers the best.

Saw the movie last night. Quite liked it! I didn’t think it was necessary to cram in explanations for every single facet of Solo’s past referred to in other films (ie the Kessel run, meeting Chewie, how he got his blaster, etc) but it’s certainly no worse than River Phoenix’s turn as young Indiana Jones in the Last Crusade film.

As I said before, I went into the film with a fairly open mind and choosing to ignore the “hobgoblins of continuity” and lo and behold! Ended up having a pretty good time.

As a film it is at least competent. Not Earth-shatteringly brilliant. I think it’s no wonder that those that were expecting the latter are so embittered.
    Last edited by M-bot; 5th June 2018 at 10:56 AM.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Agreed, at first I wasn't sure, but he won me over in the end.

Time to take Star Wars of the pillar we nerds put it on.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

'Solo' Will Lose $50M-Plus in First Defeat for Disney's 'Star Wars' Empire

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...empire-1116927

This is due to Kathleen with poor decision making etc....

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by drifand View Post
    'Solo' Will Lose $50M-Plus in First Defeat for Disney's 'Star Wars' Empire

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...empire-1116927

This is due to Kathleen with poor decision making etc....
    So? It hasn't ruined anything or even hurt the brand. They put the movie out at the same time as Infinity War and some other movies, they'll still make Episode 9 and a bunch of other SW movies.

They'll probably do well at Christmas with the Solo home release.

For every dollar they might lose with this movie, they will make 10 or more from licensing of toys and merchandise.

It was a long time investment by Disney, and as I had mentioned previously, they will (over)milk the brand as much as possible.... and movies are just one avenue.