• Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs

4 7.41%
  • Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs

17 31.48%
  • I might still get the occasional release

20 37.04%
  • I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing,

7 12.96%
  • I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore.

6 11.11%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Will you still collect MP Transformers with the higher prices?

What’s funny to me is people are already saying MP44 is not worth the price when it’s still more than half year away from release.

If TT could up their QC game the MP line can easily compete with the best of those so called collctor-oriented toy lines from Japan imho.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    What’s funny to me is people are already saying MP44 is not worth the price when it’s still more than half year away from release.
    Which is entirely TT's fault. The Masterpiece line has been going for more than 15 years now, believe it or not, and TT have priced it at a certain point, with a certain expectation. Even MP-43 didn't exceed the price point of MP-04, which I recall going for the $400 mark. Now, the line suddenly jumps 150% on its highest price point, while giving us engineering we had on MP-36, which still fell in that price structure.

No one, least of all TT, can be surprised at people balking at the price, when they set the expectation and then soured the deal with a shock worsening of things from the perspective of the expectations they had set in the minds of fans.

It's like how Paramount were somehow "surprised" when they offered Chris Pine and Christ Hemsworth a particular amount to reprise their roles for the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, but then wondered why both walked, when after being promised that amount, they were then told the amount would be way less than it was.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    Which is entirely TT's fault. The Masterpiece line has been going for more than 15 years now, believe it or not, and TT have priced it at a certain point, with a certain expectation. Even MP-43 didn't exceed the price point of MP-04, which I recall going for the $400 mark. Now, the line suddenly jumps 150% on its highest price point, while giving us engineering we had on MP-36, which still fell in that price structure.

No one, least of all TT, can be surprised at people balking at the price, when they set the expectation and then soured the deal with a shock worsening of things from the perspective of the expectations they had set in the minds of fans.

It's like how Paramount were somehow "surprised" when they offered Chris Pine and Christ Hemsworth a particular amount to reprise their roles for the sequel to Star Trek Beyond, but then wondered why both walked, when after being promised that amount, they were then told the amount would be way less than it was.
    I would look at yen price only, and the pre-order price with discount isn’t actually all that bad. Not sure how the MP 44 pre-orders are going right now but people had similar reaction when MP Dinobot was announced (then again with BW Megatron). As far as I could tell, Dinobot already sold out (aka made their initial sales target) and there’s still demand on the market so TT are making a second run. Yes the QC issue wasn’t ideal (that’s why I said TT need to up their QC game), and yes Dinobot might’ve been a smaller production run but still..good sales number is good.

Comparing MP04 and MP44 prices isn’t really fair since so many years have passed. People can say it’s expensive all they want, but I personally would refrain from comment like “it’s not worth the price” until I have it in my hand.
    Weve already had a sneak peak at the engineering and it was much more involved than I’d imagined for a G1 Optimus Prime.

Even then it’s all subjective. I am happy to pay this kind of money to get a new MP Prime that matches aesthetically with my awesome MP 36 Megatron, and that could well be the “definitive” cartoon Prime for a long time coming.

I would look at yen price only, and the pre-order price with discount isn’t actually all that bad. Not sure how the MP 44 pre-orders are going right now but people had similar reaction when MP Dinobot was announced (then again with BW Megatron). As far as I could tell, Dinobot already sold out (aka made their initial sales target) and there’s still demand on the market so TT are making a second run. Yes the QC issue wasn’t ideal (that’s why I said TT need to up their QC game), and yes Dinobot might’ve been a smaller production run but still..good sales number is good.
    I've heard that they're going to reissue MP Dinobot. Evidently sales must have been very good to elicit that response. Although MP10 reissues are still shelfwarming, so...
    Comparing MP04 and MP44 prices isn’t really fair since so many years have passed.
    Even if we were to compare MP01/04 with MP44, as you said, the level of design and engineering in this toy is far above that of MP01/04. As I've said before, each time an MP concept "upgrades" we typically see an approximate doubling in price. MP10 was about twice as expensive as MP01. MP Sunstreaker was about twice the price as MP Lambor. MP36 was about twice the price of MP05. And MP44 is roughly twice the price of MP10.

If people want double the goodness then it's going to cost double the price. Don't like it? Get the cheaper version. As I said, you can still really easily find MP10s. In fact, here's an MP10 going for 21600JPY (approx $280). If people find MP44 too rich, then go get an MP10. Seemples!

It just means being more selective with my purchases.

Holy revive!!!

As the prices are headed, yea nah. I want MP BW Megs and Black Arachnia, but as for versions 2.0 or more, I can live without them. Collecting masterpiece figures are almost becoming an elite thing where people with disposable incomes can buy them.

I'm certainly going to be more selective if they keep trending the way of MP bb 2.0
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    It just means being more selective with my purchases.
    Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'm certainly going to be more selective if they keep trending the way of MP bb 2.0
    Yup, same

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Holy revive!!!

As the prices are headed, yea nah. I want MP BW Megs and Black Arachnia, but as for versions 2.0 or more, I can live without them. Collecting masterpiece figures are almost becoming an elite thing where people with disposable incomes can buy them.
    The only two MPs on the horizon I intend on getting are Hound and Black Arachnia. Don’t have the income to buy newer versions of characters that have previously already had the MP treatment. The only exceptions to this for me have been the leaders (MP10 & 36) since both new ones were far superior to the old one I got. But certainly not getting the newest Prime or any of the Autobot cars just because they look that bit more toon accurate than the first renditions.

For me it's not even about the money. I could preorder MP44 and MP45 right now if I wanted to. They just don't appeal to me. MP1 and MP21 are both perfectly fine MPs in my book and I don't see the need to get new MP versions of MPs that I already own.

The only time I did this was with MP36 as I felt it was a significant enough improvement over MP5. I got MP10 for free, so... not counting that. I might get MP44 or MP45 if I were in Japan and there was nothing else to buy. I am admittedly far more impulsive when shopping overseas, but as Tetsuwan Convoy explained to me at the 2016 Osaka Meet, it's a souvenir purchase. But yeah, barring a moment of impulse I don't see myself getting either Malibu Stacies with a new set of articulation.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    For me it's not even about the money. I could preorder MP44 and MP45 right now if I wanted to. They just don't appeal to me. MP1 and MP21 are both perfectly fine MPs in my book and I don't see the need to get new MP versions of MPs that I already own.

The only time I did this was with MP36 as I felt it was a significant enough improvement over MP5. I got MP10 for free, so... not counting that. I might get MP44 or MP45 if I were in Japan and there was nothing else to buy. I am admittedly far more impulsive when shopping overseas, but as Tetsuwan Convoy explained to me at the 2016 Osaka Meet, it's a souvenir purchase. But yeah, barring a moment of impulse I don't see myself getting either Malibu Stacies with a new set of articulation.

I feel like it's important to clarify why people will get or not get a new MP, as with the Megatron example here. A lot of collectors seem to have a mindset of getting a character to fill a spot, rather than having the best representation of that character in toy form (if they can't have both).

Bumblebee for example, many people are (needlessly IMO) labelling as pointless because there already is an older MP Bumblebee, while in reality they are very different and appeal to different collectors' views of what a toy of the character should be. As you said, MP-21 is perfectly fine to keep as your Bumblebee, while MP-36 was more in line with what you wanted, so you got him. Two different outcomes, but the choice for either was always there to meet your tastes, or for any other collector's, for the most part.

As someone who loves the new Bumblebee, which reminds me way more of the cartoon character I grew up with, it's interesting to see people's different views on accuracy, but also a bit disappointing to see the new guys automatically thrown under the bus for simply being a new version of a previously done character. It is a bit disappointing to see the new one's price though.

Just like with the Legends and Prime Wars toys of yesteryear (), choice and options are a good thing, especially with the seemingly huge differences in people's preferred style for a definitive representation of a character. Although in some people's minds it takes up the "spot" of another not previously done character, for many this would be the first Bumblebee MP or Optimus Prime MP or whatever toy, that fulfils their tastes for a true Masterpiece.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust