Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which iconic Transformers name has led to the most toys over the years?

Changed topic title to avoid confusion.

Galvatran Guest

There's no confusion. ...Just ratbags with too much time on their hands. Yeah Im looking at you UM.

Quote Originally Posted by Galvatran View Post
    There's no confusion. ...Just ratbags with too much time on their hands. Yeah Im looking at you UM.
    POT. KETTLE. BLACK
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Changed topic title to avoid confusion.
    See, now I DO find it confusing as you have BW/BM Optimus and Megatron who are completely different characters to the G1 versions so I wasn’t counting them when thinking about how many ‘Optimus’ toys are out there etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    See, now I DO find it confusing as you have BW/BM Optimus and Megatron who are completely different characters to the G1 versions so I wasn’t counting them when thinking about how many ‘Optimus’ toys are out there etc.
    It was hard to be exact to what I was intending.... That's sorta why I had character *name* in the title so that it covers all usage of those original names... even if there was a variation like prime/primal, as they were all Optimus like in Japan they were all Convoy.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    POT. KETTLE. BLACK
    Hello kids. I'm Mr Pot. Today, we are going to learn about...

Optimus would have to be first followed by Megatron.

Remember that Hasbro did lose the trademark right to "Bumblebee" for about a decade (1996-2005). Granted they did pump out a LOT of Bumblebee toys after 2007, so...

Well... here are the answers.

This is only a rough result, but since I don't focus on or discriminate against certain characters, the stats from my own collection (which is a fairly decent sample size at 6,515 toys and figurines from Hasbro and TakaraTomy), should be pretty close to the percentages you would end up with if you counted all Transformers toys ever made. (the bigger an unbiased sample size is, the more accurate its results would be to the entire populace)

Of the most iconic character names to have existed in toy form since the first two years of Transformers, these were the six that I thought would be the most prolific - Optimus/Convoy, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee/Bumble, Soundwave, Grimlock.

Their percentages in my collection (and total number in brackets), in descending order...

8.92% - Optimus/Convoy (581)
    5.76% - Bumblebee/Bumble (375)
    3.59% - Megatron (234)
    2.52% - Starscream (164)
    1.83% - Grimlock (119)
    1.12% - Soundwave (73)

That would mean, that if you had all of the different Transformers toys ever made, there would be about 9% being some sort of Optimus... and about 6% being some sort of Bumblebee.
    That also means, just those six character names, have given us almost 25% of the entire history of Transformers toys.

I was surprised that Bumblebee wasn't yet in the lead after the last 10 years of being the face of Movies and cartoons... but going through each year, 2009 and 2010 were the only years (so far) that had more Bumblebee toys than Optimus toys. Every other year since Gen1 (which only had 3 toys of each character name), it appears that Optimus had more, giving him an unbeatable 200 toy lead (thanks to 11 years of almost no Bumblebee toys, from Gen2 in 1995 to Classics in 2006). But if future toylines have a similar ratio to this year's Studio Series, which has 30% Bumblebee's and only one Optimus to the 7 Bumblebee toys, it might only take a few years for him to catch up.
    Actually... if you counted Bumblebee's "stand in" during that 11 year gap (the role of a young, bright yellow character who looks up to the rest in his team, and tries to earn their respect and admiration - ie, Cheetor and Hotshot), if both of those had been called Bumblebee for taking on his "role" during the Beast Era and the Unicron Trilogy, he would have easily been number one.

It's really a no brainer that OP would be head and shoulders the number 1 on the list. One need only look at other toy lines such as Star Wars and MOTU respectively to see the pattern that kids will gravitate most heavily towards the leader of the good guys whether it's Optimus, Luke Skywalker or He-man. So it makes sense from a financial point of view for the manufacturer to put such emphasis on such characters/character names.

BTW I know Megatron has more variation in terms of more differing alt. modes he has compared to Optimus (who's mainly a truck) but as stated above, it all boils down to the leader of the good guys.

I looked at my collection and have 19 Bumblebees (plus a Goldbug) vs 18 Optimus Prime/Primals/Convoys. Very much neck and neck.

Followed by 11 Megatrons and 9 Starscreams. But I have 9 Prowls and 9 Sideswipes - both several ahead of Soundwave and Grimlock.