Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3P CHUG lines?

Default 3P CHUG lines?

I'm thinking about looking into 3P figures to fill the gaps in my CHUG collection I doubt HasTak will fill any time soon.

What 3P lines are generally geared towards CHUG collectors?

Fansproject Function X comes to mind

MakeToys Cross Dimension is a brilliant line. Very stylised though so it may not be your thing.

MMC Reformatted line is another awesome one.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

While I agree the lines above are awesome, what gaps are you trying to fill? While the MMC's Reformatted are similar to CHUG in that they are modern takes on classic characters (or comic characters) they have alos grown in stature to the point where they tend to tower over the offical CHUGs and make them look a bit cheap.

I think you should look for the characters you are after, and figure out if you're looking for modern take or comic version. then from what's available look at a few reviews.

I personally consider a lot of 3rd party/indie transformers to be inferior in design, especially the earlier product.
    Considerations like finish and joint materials are critical in design of things like this.
    Some of it is excellent, but a lot of it is not. If you're lucky you'll be able to find some stuff on clearance at some of the bigger online stores for a good price.

Many popular characters have been made by several manufacturers as well and they all have a slightly different take which will suit your own appreciation differently to others.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

In terms of 3P CHuG like stuff that actually scales with CHUG you'd have to be looking at oversized KO's of a lot of the legends scale stuff, and otherwise the now largely defunct FansProject.

Everything else is just too large - the standard size on the MMC Reformatted line is basically CHUG voyager.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Fansproject are still around and have released a couple of new bots this year... albeit retooled bots or redecos.

They scale best with CHUG bots IMO.

Best time to get them now as a lot of collectors were getting rid of the headmaster bots from the fansproject line for very cheap prices.

Did FansProject fall apart or lose a crucial designer?

The last figures I bought from them were the first 3 Lost Exo-Realm. Both Slag and Swoop had QC issues.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    Did FansProject fall apart or lose a crucial designer?

The last figures I bought from them were the first 3 Lost Exo-Realm. Both Slag and Swoop had QC issues.
    Apparently, some moved to Maketoys and I think FansHobby as well.
    Thus the rehash of the older stuff and nothing really brand new.
    I've got the Exo Realm bots and mine are fine though... they're my favorite dinobots.

Quote Originally Posted by ChlorHex View Post
    Apparently, some moved to Maketoys and I think FansHobby as well.
    Thus the rehash of the older stuff and nothing really brand new.
    I've got the Exo Realm bots and mine are fine though... they're my favorite dinobots.
    Too bad they couldn't keep them. But it does explain why the others have pumped out so many new designs in recent years.

The QC issues I had were not deal breakers. Loose mushroom pegs here and there, and an assembly error with Swoop's wing.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!