View Poll Results: RtS G2 Optimus Prime - worth buying?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 43.33%
  • Only if cheap

8 26.67%
  • Only if (something else)

3 10.00%
  • No

3 10.00%
  • Not interested

3 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - RtS G2 Optimus Prime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs down Toy Review - RtS G2 Optimus Prime

EPIC FAIL! Don't buy it - save your money for something else!

Now that I have that out of the way, for those still interested, keep reading, but those that aren't, save your money and time - don't keep reading further since this guy just isn't worth it IMO.

Let me just start off by saying that I wasn't impressed with the way this guy looked from the initial time I saw the first pics of him.

Now that I have him in hand, I wish I could turn back time and reseal him back up into his plastic prison and hide him in the corner somewhere.

He may be an okay homage to the original G2 version, but in this era, this guy just stinks.

RTS G2 Prime should have been released in the Armada or Energon range...actually scrap that, the homage should have even been done pre-Armada since Armada Deluxe Prime is way cooler and a much better toy than this guy by light years.

His transformation is simplistic and a tad bit fiddly but the overall look of this guy is where he suffers the most - get him if you love Hasbro grey since there's an abundance of it.

He lacks paint apps in plenty of spots and even the pic on the cardback has been doctored up - it shows red paint on his knee caps whereas on the actual toy, it's left as black plastic....cheap looking black plastic.

The only thing cool about this guy is his sword (and that's only because I love sword-wielding bots).

Anyways....this guy's not worth buying unless you can pick him up for under $15 or you solely want him so you can have one of this mold (like myself).

4/10 (I've even voted 'No' to buying him)

**EDIT - I went back and transformed this guy again and realised that the wheels on his legs can be pushed up and in to sit further inwards (so as not to resemble Armada Prime where the wheels just sit on the side of his legs). Typical me, should have read the instructions Nonetheless, this doesn't redeem him any way - I still score him a 4/10 - below average**

Here's a pic of Armada Prime owning him - he's that bad!

Last edited by Vector Prime; 23rd January 2011 at 10:29 AM.

The sad thing is - his instructions show an alternate head

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    The sad thing is - his instructions show an alternate head
    Yeah I just saw that.

I'm normally a big fan of black/Nemesis Prime redecos, but my dislike for this figure is so great that I won't even bother this time around (probably )

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    Yeah I just saw that.

I'm normally a big fan of black/Nemesis Prime redecos, but my dislike for this figure is so great that I won't even bother this time around (probably )
    well the problem there is that the new head looks ugly - even more than kups.

I really like the mold.

+ The transformation is fun and clever
    + Great update/homage to G2 laser prime
    + Robot mode is very cool
    + Would definately look AWESOME repainted as Scourge, Nemesis Prime in all black with red translucent windows, red sword and different head
    +Great for posing, awesome articulation, tight joints, can hold sword in 2 hands

- G2 laser prime colours, wish alt mode was just prime colours
    - Side windows painted orange, could've been translucent
    - Sword sux. Should've just been separate and clip under the truck
    - Could've been voyager size

Really this mold has a lot of potential. A resculpted head, a new paint job and a big kick ass sword that doesn't transform is ALL this mold needs. Bring on the nemesis

8/10
    Recent Additions:
    Robosen Auto Converting Optimus Prime
    Incoming:
    Canon Optimus
    Wishlist:
    MP Jazz, MP Ricochet, MP Waspinator
    Selling:
    Lots, just need to sort it out.
    Looking For:
    Seige Cyberton upgrade Optimus Prime

The thing with "Classicsverse" is that they're meant to give us updated and improved incarnations of older Transformers using current toy engineering and technology. I really don't like it when this doesn't happen, cos then it kinda defeats the whole point of making them in the first place. That's why I didn't like Universe/Henkei Cheetor and Dinobot, IMO neither of them were substantial improvements over their originals.

Looking at pics of this toy and reading Vector Prime's comments, I wonder if RtS G2 Optimus Prime really is a substantial improvement over Laser Optimus Prime? Laser Optimus Prime is just a brilliant figure and just blew my socks off in 1995. I was so impressed I actually bought two of them! (I've since sold my spare off years ago) And it wasn't until 2007 and 2009 with Leader Class Movie and ROTF OP that we even saw another Optimus Prime toy that could be considered as comparatively well designed as Laser Optimus Prime (by the standards of the day).

Laser Optimus Prime = exceedingly outstanding by 1995 standards.
    RtS G2 Optimus Prime = ...by 2011 standards... ???

Vector Prime: Could you bring your RtS G2 Prime to the next Syd meet? If so I might bring my Laser Prime so we can make a comparison and take some pics (unless you have Laser Prime and wanna just do the comparison yourself)

Quote Originally Posted by Vector Prime View Post
    EPIC FAIL
    Pretty much my thoughts as soon as I saw pics online. Looks like one for the G2 fans and that's about it

Thumbs up rts G2 optimus prime

this is a cool figure! nice version of optimus as a long nose truck imo!
    other otca members ideas to give him a rifle weapon sound good!!

I got him out of packaging and played with him.

I dont know if it is just me, but I LOVE the heat labels. Maybe its a G1 thing!

Pretty fun, but not as good are Perceptor.

I am a bit disappointed that the photo is different to the actual toy.

ie fuel tank colour (should be blue and not grey) and the door should have a red Autobot insignia.

Oh well, I guess Reprolabels can make some decals.

Hmm. While I'm not dissapointed, I'm not too impressed by this figure.

The alt mode is not too bad and the swordhides nicely at the back. It just looks like it's missing something. I think its the rather bare rooftop look. Like there needs to be something there to pad it out. It doesn't scream Leader enough for me.

Conversion was pretty good if a little inelegant witht he way the back armor forms since it hits other parts during the process. The way the torso converts is quite unique. The legs had all manner of perhaps extraneous converting but I guess we do demand a little more complex figures. Converting back to it's alt was tricky and simply loses any class or elegance the torso conversion had. Lining up the legs with the sword and the fuel tanks on the side is a bit of a nightmare and ends up suffering the dreaded and common uneven wheels syndrome.

Robot mode is ok. The legs are a bit messy looking but it might just be the colour scheme that puts me off this Prime a little. Instead of Hasbro Grey they should have gone for a slightly darker colour or even gunmetal. Not to mention the really short stature. Dwarfed by all other deluxes in the line so far. One of the smallest Primes. The articulation is excellent though and the sword is pretty nifty. But why is it way too big for the hand? It can be forced in but you will get some stress marks on the fingers. Otherwise an ok figure and probably for Prime fans and as a tribute to the original.