Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Space Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    Footage from the Apollo missions to the moon were transmitted live (delayed by a few seconds) on television back in the 1960s. Would it not be possible to do the same in the present day?
    Thought there may have been limits to it

Quote Originally Posted by dirge View Post
    The moon is only light-seconds away from Earth. Enough of a delay you’d notice during a video call but not enough to get in the way or a live feed or convo.
    Cool

Running SERIOUSLY behind on my Space updates!

The biggest news: on the weekend, SpaceX launched the first (unmanned) test flight of their Crew Dragon space transport capsule. With a flawless liftoff, Crew Dragon has since been docked to the ISS to begin a weeks worth of testing until it will be released for return to Earth. So far, so good!

The primary excitement around Crew Dragon is not only will NASA reduce its reliance on expensive Soyuz seats from Russia, but there's now another flight-capable orbital spacecraft available run by a private company with opens up all sorts of opportunities.

How are SpaceX's finances? Are they in the shitter like Elon Musk other company Tesla?

From the ABC News website:

"Black hole image released by Event Horizon Telescope team in world first

Scientists have glimpsed the event horizon of a black hole for the very first time. Until now, every image of a black hole you have ever seen has been an artist's impression."

Read the full story here.

Quote Originally Posted by kovert View Post
    From the ABC News website:

"Black hole image released by Event Horizon Telescope team in world first

Scientists have glimpsed the event horizon of a black hole for the very first time. Until now, every image of a black hole you have ever seen has been an artist's impression."

Read the full story here.
    It is absolutely amazing. The lead researcher who I understand "took" the photo (using that word really cheapens how complicated the process was) gave a TED talk about doing this around 2 years. Looks like she followed through as planned. Can't wait to see this develop as I am sure in the near future we will get even better images.

55 million light years away? That's something else. The distance alone bends the brain

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    55 million light years away? That's something else. The distance alone bends the brain
    That distance is huge and is really hard to actually comprehend. Think about it this way, Neptune is around 4 light hours from Earth and it took Voyager around 12 years to get there.

I think I read somewhere that they needed something like 55 petabytes to take the picture.

1 light year is something like 6 trillion kilometers
    Multiply that by 55 million and its... i don't think I have enough zeroes on my phone

I was reading that too. They couldn't use the internet and had to transport hard drives around. Wow.

This is the TED talk I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider View Post
    This is the TED talk I was talking about.
    Amazing