Page 360 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 340350355356357358359360361362363364365370380 ... LastLast
Results 3,591 to 3,600 of 10406

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:WNAFP:AU:1123

Are these Metroplex legit? Or are they the knock off?

But doesn't glow in the dark plastic/paints stop working after a while? I used to have those glow-in-the-dark posters that came with the 1986 toys... they were great for a couple of years, then stopped working. Same with other glow-in-the-dark toys like Glo-Worms.

Is there any point keeping about 99% of your collection as BIB? I still keep the packaging for all my figures because I hope to sell them one day in the late late future but was wondering if it's a good idea or not because I'm running out of room lol

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWarp91 View Post
    Is there any point keeping about 99% of your collection as BIB?
    IMO only if you live in an Earthquake prone area.

I still keep the packaging for all my figures because I hope to sell them one day in the late late future but was wondering if it's a good idea or not because I'm running out of room lol
    I don't recommend you collect toys as a means of financial investment (i.e. to profit from future resale). The main reason for this is because toys:
    a. Not all toys appreciate in value. Some actually depreciate.
    b. In general toys do not appreciate well compared to other 'standard' forms of investment e.g. property, blue chips, shares, stock market etc. If you want to invest, you're better off buying one of those things rather than toys.

IMO if you want to collect toys, do it because you like it and because it's fun for you. Not because you hope to profit from it one day in the future. If you want to invest for the future, buy stock market shares.

If you want to collect your packaging for collecting's sake and are running out of room, then perhaps consider flattening your boxes. That way you can still unflatten them later if you want to look at them or whatever, but reflatten them for storage. But otherwise packaging does waste a LOT of space.

Is there any point keeping about 99% of your collection as BIB? I still keep the packaging for all my figures because I hope to sell them one day in the late late future but was wondering if it's a good idea or not because I'm running out of room lol
    It depends on how much you value space. Personally, these days I just keep G1 and BotCon packaging and throw out everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    But doesn't glow in the dark plastic/paints stop working after a while? I used to have those glow-in-the-dark posters that came with the 1986 toys... they were great for a couple of years, then stopped working. Same with other glow-in-the-dark toys like Glo-Worms.
    Glow in the dark 'stuff' does run out over time but i can't think of the reason why. Something about light degradation. Like those colour change materials. If you leave them in sunlight (maybe other strong light) they won't colour change anymore. Just like the glow in the dark stuff.

I use to keep all packageing but it just got to much so i turfed it. Don't see i the point if i'm not selling them and even then people will buy loose items.
    I regret some of them that had tech specs on it but whats done is done. Now i only keep packaging from Masterpiece line and Gen1. Everything else goes to the...wherever cardboard goes to die.

I don't know about Kiama, but in Sydney one could get it from Books Kinokuniya (although being imports these books are expensive). Otherwise I guess you'll need to look at overseas sources, which might be cheaper since you would be paying for all the taxes and duties that the Australian government slaps on retailers of direct imports.
    Kino is a little expensive for these books. You'd be looking at paying about $56 each.

I don't recommend you collect toys as a means of financial investment (i.e. to profit from future resale). *snip*
    b. In general toys do not appreciate well compared to other 'standard' forms of investment e.g. property, blue chips, shares, stock market etc. If you want to invest, you're better off buying one of those things rather than toys.

IMO if you want to collect toys, do it because you like it and because it's fun for you. Not because you hope to profit from it one day in the future. If you want to invest for the future, buy stock market shares.

*snip*
    I kind of don't really agree with that. Stocks/shares can be very volatile and quite often, people do lose money on them. Also, in most normal cases, even if they do appreciate, its very creeping and by a couple of (often single digit) percentage points. One'd only really be able to reap investment benefits if one invested in a big way (ie: tens of thousands of dollars). But then, if you lose, which I think is a 50/50 thing, you lose big too.

On the other hand, toys do appreciate much fast in terms of percentage and are more stable in terms of their value. Just use United as an example. Some pieces can go up by 60% to 150% in price within days. When was the last time you heard a stock jump by even 50% in price within a matter of days? Drop by that amount, yes, appreciate by that amount, unlikely.

Also, it is not unusual that people wanting to sell toys can sell them at their cost price, at least (you can do that with stock/shares; sometimes, you'd be lucky to get away with minimizing your losses by selling below your 'cost' price).

For property, you can see that sort of 50% jump in price, but then, really, not many people have that kind of big money (hundreds of thousands) to buy property at the rate that people buy toys. So, not going to go into further comparison or analysis on this.

All in all, for the guy wanting to make a little bit of money, but with minimal risk, 'investing' in toys is not a bad idea. There are certainly worse things to invest in. So, saying "If you want to invest, you're better off buying one of those things [blue chips, shares, stock market] rather than toys", is pretty cliche and not very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    I kind of don't really agree with that. Stocks/shares can be very volatile and quite often, people do lose money on them. Also, in most normal cases, even if they do appreciate, its very creeping and by a couple of (often single digit) percentage points. One'd only really be able to reap investment benefits if one invested in a big way (ie: tens of thousands of dollars). But then, if you lose, which I think is a 50/50 thing, you lose big too.

On the other hand, toys do appreciate much fast in terms of percentage and are more stable in terms of their value. Just use United as an example. Some pieces can go up by 60% to 150% in price within days. When was the last time you heard a stock jump by even 50% in price within a matter of days? Drop by that amount, yes, appreciate by that amount, unlikely.

Also, it is not unusual that people wanting to sell toys can sell them at their cost price, at least (you can do that with stock/shares; sometimes, you'd be lucky to get away with minimizing your losses by selling below your 'cost' price).

For property, you can see that sort of 50% jump in price, but then, really, not many people have that kind of big money (hundreds of thousands) to buy property at the rate that people buy toys. So, not going to go into further comparison or analysis on this.

All in all, for the guy wanting to make a little bit of money, but with minimal risk, 'investing' in toys is not a bad idea. There are certainly worse things to invest in. So, saying "If you want to invest, you're better off buying one of those things [blue chips, shares, stock market] rather than toys", is pretty cliche and not very accurate.
    Cool, yeah I didn't want to make a huge profit from selling my collection in the future - I like to collect TFs but just hoped that if it had to come to point of selling them at least if I sold them with BIB I could get the extra few dollars back

Investing in toys is an interesting thought. I would say that some of my original G1 toys have a fair bit of value, and that a lot of the stuff I have now will be quite valuable in the next 10 to twenty years maybe, but then I probably still won't want to sell it.

share and stock in vestment is something that requires a lot of thought and maintenance and is better to invest in for the long term, daily buynig and selling is very risky and loaded with stress.

like was mentioned above, property investment requires a lot of capital to start with and is also a long term investment.

Long term toy investment requires taking other costs into account, how much time and money are you spending storing your toys? $50 a month on a small storage space for 10 - 20 years is a lot of money that is going to cut into any profit. If you store them in your house, how much space are they taking up and how much disomfort ar you going through giving up that space which could be otherwie used?

Short term toy investment is a differnt thing, there is a fine line between buying stuff cheap and selling for a reasonable price and scalping.
    I think MIB is the best way to go to maximise investment but that requires a lot of space.

personally i collect for the fun of it, I keep some boxes, the ones I like more, and pack down the ones I can. but in the long run, My grand kids will probably just sell it all off in a petrochemical/Plastic reclamation garage sale

Investment of any sort is really just another form of gambling.

Quote Originally Posted by Deceptic0ns View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:WNAFP:AU:1123

Are these Metroplex legit? Or are they the knock off?
    it looks legit to me but I am not much of an expert on the whole kO scene.

I have one at home, I'll try and remember to get it out and compare tonight.