Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 122227282930313233 LastLast

Thread: Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread

I gotta say, I've been messing with my universe Darkwing lately and I really like him. Yeah the transformation is about as simple as a scout class and there's a lot of under-kibble, but his alt mode is nice and his bot mode looks really great. He pulls of some great poses, and can do some particularly heroic ones that are appropriate for Silverbolt.

There's something to be said for a simple transformation too, it can be quite fun to have the odd figure that you can transform back and forth in 30 seconds rather than 5 minutes.

At first I thought his late-80s color scheme was a bit garish, but all the colours actually work really well together and his purple is vibrant and very Decepticonish.

And he has one of the most satisfying methods of activating the transformation sound.

So a big thumbs up for both Silverbolt and Darkwing for me, though if I had to pick one, it'd be Darkwing for sure.
    Last edited by Oilspill; 26th October 2009 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post
    There's something to be said for a simple transformation too, it can be quite fun to have the odd figure that you can transform back and forth in 30 seconds rather than 5 minutes.
    That's very true. One of the things I really like about Supreme Devastator is how easy it is to transform!

The fanfare was right, Universe Hound really is love. I couldn't find anything overly deficient (as per typical modern Hasbro standards). Joints a bit loose though.

Then for absolutely no reason he comes with an awesome rendition of Ravage!

I've also been impressed by the super-cool Sideswipe and Sunstreaker. I'm a little miffed that Sunstreakers accessories are so blandly deco'd in comparison to Swipes. Did those automorphing ears really break that much of the budget Hasbro?

I picked up Stormcloud recently. Even though I think he should have been painted blue like Tailwind I though he looked kinda cool and sleek looking in the package, I don't have the powerglide mould and he was real cheap. But man even at the cheap price I really don't care for this mould. The colours are kinda nice and Decep looking, but his small arms and big chest just look so wierd, he towers over most of my Universe/Henkei toys but his arms look deluxe size. And what's with his Techspecs? how can an A10 based jet have such minimal firepower?

I really have to stop buying Ultra's they always seem to dissapoint me.

I agree, my Henkei Powerglide is one of my least favourite Universe/Classics figures. He just doesn't feel like powerglide even though his head is powerglide and his alt mode is powerglide and his bot mode is semi-powerglide but I just don't like him.

But as far as Ultras go, you can't complain about Onslaught surely? I love that big, bad Decepticon. I like Silverbolt/Darkwing too but I understand why most people don't - but Onslaught is buckets of win

Powerglide's light up orange boobs are like a traffic accident... awful but you can't help staring at them!

Quote Originally Posted by Oilspill View Post
    But as far as Ultras go, you can't complain about Onslaught surely? I love that big, bad Decepticon. I like Silverbolt/Darkwing too but I understand why most people don't - but Onslaught is buckets of win
    I don't have Onslaught, I haven't seen him for a price i'm willing to pay, while he is the most complex of the three, I still don't think he is anything that couldn't be achieved in a smaller scale. I have seen others toys though. He does seem the best mould of the three, but he just doesn't feel like Onslaught to me. His vehicle mode bugs me, and he looks like a big lug, where as G1 Onslaught was always more slim and clever.

I bought Bruticus in preparation for the fansproject add on kits and wow was i severely disappointed.

The biggest problem is that blast off is a tank of the same mold as brawl and swindle is a copter, the same as vortex.

The only one i actually like is onslaught. he has a solid robot mode and alt mode.
    I love his arms and legs - they're fun to play with and are his strongest attributes.
    the only problems would be his ugly head - it makes him look like princess leia, and his head is not even hidden from view in alt mode.

brawl... i hate the treads as back kibble. they cant even be used as wings. the cannons on his arms make him look like seekers. his head is ugly and both alt and robot mode are stupid. fail.

vortex in alt mode is not so bad but i hate his arms that are just hangin underneath. his robot mode sucks.

gestalt mode is a horrible mess. i hate his arms and legs.
    whoever design this should really have looked at the henkei/classics line. thats beautiful.

one thing that would have helped is if the 4 smaller transformers were all deluxe size. then they could have been more creative.

i wish fansproject would remake both brawl and vortex - the hasbro ones are horrible.
    Last edited by kaiden; 7th March 2010 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    whoever design this should really have looked at the henkei/classics line. thats beautiful.
    Hate to tell you this, but Universe Bruticus is a redeco of Energon Bruticus ~ so essentially it was designed sometime circa-2004 (if not earlier).

Being an Energon based toy, it naturally would have it's limitations compared to the later evolutionary lines (like Classics, Henkei and even Cybertron figures)

A valid point. And I know that the number of moulds that they could produce was limited by their budget, hence why 2 are repaints, but I gotta agree with kaiden, it is a pretty disappointing purchase.

I bought him for the same reason and man the set is so effing ugly. I had them combined next to Superion (with upgrade kit) but those hands and feet are so pathetic I had to disassemble them back to individual bot modes, and even those aren't great.

I would definitely buy a Brawl, Vortex and Onslaught if FP ever decided to replace them too. Swindle and Blast-off are definitely going to upstage the rest of the crew when they're out in a couple of months time.

Or as a simpler improvement, I'd be happy with new heads for those three.