Thread: Releases of the Transformers 1986 (TFTM) movie on DVD and Blu-ray

Default Releases of the Transformers 1986 (TFTM) movie on DVD and Blu-ray

I currently have the original 2003 Madman release of the '86 movie on DVD, which was great for its time (hard to think of 2003 as being 'its time'!), but nowadays it seems to have faded colour compared to screencaps or excerpts of more recent releases, and lines aren't sharp on a HD TV.

Now I'm thinking of maybe trading up, and there are at least three releases of TFTM that I'm aware of.

First is Madman's 2-disc Special Edition on DVD from 2007, which has the 4:3 and (cropped) letterboxed video formats on separate discs. https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...ion-2-disc-set I'm thinking of getting this one, since it's cheap on eBay.

Second is Madman's 2009 Blu-ray. https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...d-movie-bluray

Third is the 30th Anniversary release on Blu-ray. I understand the American release from Shout Factory is region-free, according to the review on Blu-ray.com, although the British release from Manga Entertainment shouldn't be a problem since the UK and Australia are BD region B.

I have a few questions about these releases:

What are your experiences with these, and which would you recommend?

Also, are there any other editions I should be aware of if considering a purchase?

Do they have the Superman-style opening credits, or the Star Wars-style opening crawl?

I don't know about the third release, but I have options 1 and 2 and both are good.

The Bluray #2 looks fantastic and would be my first recommendation and is otfen on special at JB.

The DVD #1 in either format looks good but one format is more interlaced than the other as I discovered doing some screencaptures a while ago. I might be able to dig up when I'm at home. It's still a step up on the original 2003 Madman release.

Nothing I saw about the newer Bluray (#3) looked any better than Madman 2009 one in terms of picture quality IMHO.

From memory the Madman releases have the original "Superman" opening credits with the "Star Wars" one as an optional feature - but I'm not 100% on that.

We had some discussion here as well, if it helps.

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...ht=Anniversary

Funnily enough I bought the Madman Blu Ray two weeks ago myself, after some research comparing it to the 30th Anniversary edition. From what I read the Madman version had better blacks which given my OLED tv was what I preferred.

Some screenshots here comparing the two DVDs from the 2007 Madman version where you can see the colour is better on the letterbox version and it doesn't have the frame blurring that the 4:3 has. I don't have a Bluray drive so can't screenshot that.

https://imgur.com/a/H2UsXAV

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    What are your experiences with these, and which would you recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I've already got the regular version, the remastered version, the Uk edition and the Blu Ray of the movie

p
    Overall I’d recommend the Blu Ray - you can see lots of fine detail that is hard to spot on dvds

I have the madman bluray and I think it's a great version. there is a whole lot more visible detail that just doesn't exist on the DVD version.

I recall when the shout factory version came out there were both pros and cons to that release when compared against the Madman release.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I'm curious about the 30th Anniversary version because its video quality is lauded in some reviews, and I like the idea of the extras, particularly the 'Til All are One documentary and the commentary. I'm somewhat leaning towards it.

That said, the 30th Anniversary transfers have been reported as having 'issues' - not being quite as sharp as some might have expected - and a couple of reviewers have even suggested that the Metrodome/Madman BDs are better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    We had some discussion here as well, if it helps.

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showth...ht=Anniversary

Funnily enough I bought the Madman Blu Ray two weeks ago myself, after some research comparing it to the 30th Anniversary edition. From what I read the Madman version had better blacks which given my OLED tv was what I preferred.
    Thanks for the link. Not sure why I didn't come across it earlier before typing up this post (or maybe I did), but I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a 'definitive' thread comparing the various releases of TFTM.

I'm not sure what eBay prices are like but I did notice that Toybot Importz have the 30th anniversary version for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    I'm not sure what eBay prices are like but I did notice that Toybot Importz have the 30th anniversary version for sale.
    The cheapest one on eBay I can see is a UK one from $14.99. The cheapest American one is $24.43.

If you ask TBI nicely they might price match for you, though it's hard to beat $15 with free shipping.