Page 1 of 33 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: Combiner Wars Toyline: Rumors, Speculation, Ideas etc

Default Combiner Wars Toyline: Rumors, Speculation, Ideas etc

Like many I've been getting right into the debate about what else we are going to see in the Combiner Wars toyline. But it's such a hot topic and so widely discussed I've lost track of all the different threads that feature it so I thought I might create one thread here where everyone can go. I've put down what is confirmed, semi-confirmed and is speculation.

Note: There may be some spoilers for people not completely up to date with the IDW comics so read at ones own peril.

(CONFIRMED)
    Constructicons: Devestator
    Main body & limbs:
    Scrapper?
    Scavenger?
    Long Haul?
    Hook/Hightower?
    Mixmaster?
    Bonecrusher?

Last Comic Appearance:
    Currently featuring heavily in the IDW comics
    Last Toy Appearance: Appeared as a Kre-O Microchange Combiner & two individuals. Before that the ROTF combiner.
    Last Media Appearance: Devestator and the Constructicons were in ROTF, Mixmaster & Scrapper were in Transformers Animated.

Speculation: It’s highly rumoured that Devestator will of Titan-class size when combined, meaning that all the individual Constructicons may be Voyager sized.

(SEMI CONFIRMED)
    Protectobots: Defensor

Main Body: Hot Spot?
    Limbs:
    First Aid
    Rook
    Streetwise/smart?
    Blades?
    Groove?

Last Comic Appearance: All characters (bar Rook) are currently on the Lost Light and an upcoming comic cover has shown Defensor.
    Last Toy Appearance: All the Protectobots showed up as part of the Thriling 30 line as Asia Kids Day exclusive figures. Before that as a Kre-O Microchange combiner (with 5th member individual).

Speculation: Groove may turn out to be a gun like Powerglide or perhaps as some large cycle vehicle if they intend to use him as a limb and retool him for Afterburner.

(All the following are SPECULATION)

Combaticons: Bruticus

Main Body: Onslaught?
    Limbs:
    Brawl?
    Swindle?
    Vortex?
    Blast Off?

Last Comic Appearance: The Combaticons featured in the Autocracy comics last year
    Last Toy Appearance: All the Combaticons were released and formed Bruticus as part of the Thrilling 30 lineup as well as the FOC Generations toys before that. Before that as a Kre-O Microchange combiner (with 5th member individual).
    Last Game Appearance: Rise of the Dark Spark
    Last Media Appearance: Swindle featured in TF Animated and Brawl was in the first live action movie.

Speculation:
    I didn’t think it was likely that we would see another Bruticus so soon but after the announcement of Defensor its becoming more likely. Brawl and Swindle have both appeared in movies or cartoons in the past few years so are well known to younger audiences. There are already molds that could be retooled into Swindle (Off Road) and Vortex (Alpha Bravo).

Terrorcons: Abominus

Body: Hun-Grr?
    Limbs:
    Sinnertwin/Twinstrike?
    Blot/Blight?
    Rippersnapper?
    Cutthroat/Windrazor?

Last Toy Appearance: Abominus and the Terrorcons were released as part of the Beast Hunters Toyline (note: were not actually officially called Terrorcons). Before that as a Kre-O Microchange combiner (with 5th member individual).
    Last Comic Appearance: The Terrorcons were in Monstrosity, have shown up in crowd scenes in more recent comics.

Speculation:
    Through the Beast Hunters toyline they have become more well known to younger audiences so it’s possible. All 5 would require original new molds though so may only appear if the toyline proves to be a big seller. Blot is already dead in IDW but that probably wouldn’t make a difference.

Technobots: Computron
    Main Body: Scattershot?
    Limbs:
    Afterburner?
    Lighspeed?
    Strafe?
    Nosecone?

Last Toy Appearance:
    Afterburner is to appear this year as a TFCC non-transforming exclusive. Before that as a Kre-O Microchange combiner (with 5th member individual).
    Last Comic Appearance: Scattershot has been assisting Fixit in semi-recent comics. A couple died when Kimia exploded

Speculation: Not well known to younger audiences. A couple of limb characters are already dead in IDW. Lightspeed could be retooled from maybe Breakdown or Dead End but the others would require new molds. Strafe’s name got nicked for the-Swoop like character in AoE. Conclusion – unlikely.

Predacons: Predaking
    Main Body: Razorclaw?
    Limbs:
    Tantrum?
    Divebomb?
    Headstrong?
    Rampage?

Last Comic Appearance: Appeared as a team in the Autocracy comics.
    Last Toy Appearance: G1 Predaking was released as part of the Thrilling 30 toyline. Before that as a Kre-O Microchange combiner (with 5th member individual). A Predaking character was part of the Beast Hunters toyline.
    Last Media Appearance: Predaking appeared in Beast Hunters and was orange and black with huge wings, but was an individual rather than a gestalt.

Speculation:
    All five characters would require new molds. The fanbase may yell out for 5 figures all the same size (could they rationalize it for Razorclaw to be bigger than the other 4?) necessitating them doing the gestalt a different way. Predaking will be more recognizable as a different character to the younger fanbase due to the TFPrime cartoon. Probably unlikely.

Seacons: Piranacon

Body: Snap Trap?
    Limbs:
    Tentakil?
    Skalor?
    Seawing?
    Overbite?
    Nautilator?

Last Toy Appearance: Kre-O Microchange combiner, reissue of the G1 toy, BW space pirates.
    Last Comic Appearance: Many of the Seacons have appeared in MTMTE, many damaged but not fatally (despite appearances).
    Last Media Appearance: Masterforce (Beast Wars II for God Neptune)

Speculation: (Paulbot) They are the one classic combiner that actually has a sixth member who turns into a gun for the gestalt. Of course all the limbs become a gun for their gestalt, but you could pick one - I'd like Nautilator to be it. There might be some way to reuse/remould some limbs for parts of Abominus/Monstructor/Predaking. They have recolour potential for Beast Wars fans.

Monster Pretenders: Monstructor
    Main body & limbs:
    Slog?
    Icepick?
    Bristleback?
    Scowl?
    Wildfly?
    Birdbrain?

Last Comic Appearance: Has been (until recently) the most used Gestalt in the IDW’verse
    Last Toy Appearance: Going all the way back to the 1980's!

Speculation: This group did not even get a Kre-O Microchanger combiner. The Pretender gimmick would probably be ignored which could irritate a lot of Geewuners. All 6 characters would require new molds (unless Wildfly shared with Divebomb and thats IF Divebomb got made in the first place) and it would require a different form of combining gimmick unless they left a character out or copied the new Devestator's way of combining. Conclusion – the least likely of the lot to be featured.
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 25th January 2015 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Forgot the Seacons - thanks Paulbot :)

I want to throw in the forgotten Scramble City combiner:

Body: Snap Trap
    Limbs:
    Tentakil
    Skalor
    Seawing
    Overbite
    Legend weapon: Nautilator

Last Toy Appearance: Kre-O Microchange combiner, reissue of the G1 toy, BW space pirates.
    Last Comic Appearance: Many of the Seacons have appeared in MTMTE, many damaged but not fatally (despite appearances).

Speculation:
    They are the one classic combiner that actually has a sixth member who turns into a gun for the gestalt. Of course all the limbs become a gun for their gestalt, but you could pick one - I'd like Nautilator to be it. There might be some way to reuse/remould some limbs for parts of Abominus/Monstructor/Predaking. They have recolour potential for Beast Wars fans.

Also if they did a Predaking some sort of exclusive version as the Anibots would be cool.

I was just looking at the Kre-O exclusive combiners in store yesterday (Grimstone, Lazerbolt, Obsidian, Volanicon). Their animalistic limbs could also be a way to reuse animal modes for Predaking, Piranacon, Monstructor and Abominus.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I want to throw in the forgotten Scramble City combiner:

Body: Snap Trap
    Limbs:
    Tentakil
    Skalor
    Seawing
    Overbite
    Legend weapon: Nautilator

Speculation:
    They are the one classic combiner that actually has a sixth member who turns into a gun for the gestalt. Of course all the limbs become a gun for their gestalt, but you could pick one - I'd like Nautilator to be it. There might be some way to reuse/remould some limbs for parts of Abominus/Monstructor/Predaking. They have recolour potential for Beast Wars fans.

Also if they did a Predaking some sort of exclusive version as the Anibots would be cool.

I was just looking at the Kre-O exclusive combiners in store yesterday (Grimstone, Lazerbolt, Obsidian, Volanicon). Their animalistic limbs could also be a way to reuse animal modes for Predaking, Piranacon, Monstructor and Abominus.
    Oh crap! I forgot the Seacons! I even own them lol. Will paste your post into my initial one now

Hotspot and Groove almost certainly confirmed with the wireframe models in the Transformers voting app

EDIT: and with a bit of retooling, swapping out the ladder for cab mounted guns, add a landing pad for space shuttle (or any other deluxe design) we'd have Onslaught...

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    Hotspot and Groove almost certainly confirmed with the wireframe models in the Transformers voting .
    Hmmm, that means either Streetwise or Blades won't make up part of the initial 5 (guessing that like The Stunticons and Aerielbots there is gonna be an extra limb character)

I believe Groove is a Legends sized "weapon" for Defensor, with Rook (Offroad repaint/retool) taking his place as a limb. Based off the comic cover Blades is in as an Alpha Bravo repaint/retool.

Quote Originally Posted by llamatron View Post
    I believe Groove is a Legends sized "weapon" for Defensor, with Rook (Offroad repaint/retool) taking his place as a limb. Based off the comic cover Blades is in as an Alpha Bravo repaint/retool.
    That's what I took from the image, with the other two being based on Motormaster/Blackjack and Silvebolt/Powerglide - at least this way we won't have a helicopter sized motorbike...

Trev, next year I'm gonna ask Paulbot to include a longest post category in the OTCA awards. I reckon you're a shoe in
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Trev, next year I'm gonna ask Paulbot to include a longest post category in the OTCA awards. I reckon you're a shoe in
    You are just saying that because you know I nominated you for Ozformer of the year this time round (and how in the name of all that's sordid did you know that anyway?!? )

I was just hoping they had had a pic of the year - reckon I might have won it with my 'Grimlock in Horsefloat' photo

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    I was just hoping they had had a pic of the year - reckon I might have won it with my 'Grimlock in Horsefloat' photo
    Consider it an honorary win