View Poll Results: Worth buying?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 70.00%
  • Only if cheap

2 20.00%
  • Only if something else (please specify)

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
  • Not interested

1 10.00%

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return OVERLORD

Default Toy Review - Titans Return OVERLORD

OVERLORD
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Titans Return
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - "Megajet" new mould, "Gigatank" is a redeco of Titans Return Sky Shadow
    Wave - 5
    Released here - ???
    Approximate Retail Price – $90
    Approximate Size - 23cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Fighter Jet & Tank, Base
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Titan Master (Dreadnaut)
    Main Colours – Blue, turqoise, white, black
    Main Accessories - Gun

Much like TR Sixshot Overlord has a slavish level of accuracy to the G1 toy, right down to the transformation which is quite similar. One of the main differences is that the waist connects and separates with a single connector, whereas G1 Overlord has two. The waist piece itself now forms part of Gigatank instead of Megajet and consequently the two legs cannot be separated (not that there was ever any need for it ). The nosecone of the jet can even disconnect and form a shield on either arm. And at 23cm tall he's only 5cm short of matching the height of G1 Overlord.

The robot mode is solid and the sculpting is fantastic, coupled with good colours. Some of the details are accentuated with pre-applied stickers which doesn't look as nice as tampographed decoes, and I'm still disappointed that Hasbro's decided to continue this path of stickers over tampos. The Decepticon sticker on my toy has already started peeling. Surprisingly this toy also has no holes for a flight stand to plug into - but come to think of it, I'm not sure if the other Leader Class figures have it either. Maybe it's just something that they put into the carded Legends and Deluxes (can't recall of the Voyagers have it). But it would've been really good if Megajet had it (and it wouldn't have added to any cost of the toy). Missed opportunity but not a deal breaker.

Overlord's head on its own looks silly - the top of the head is much too small and makes it look as if Overlord suffers from microcephaly. Sixshot has the same thing too. But clearly it's because the head itself is formed by the helmet and Dreadnaut is really the face of Overlord rather than the head. In this sense, he's more like a Brainmaster/Motorovator than a Headmaster - unlike say TR Soundwave, Blaster, Ginrai, Optimus Prime etc. where the heads themselves are fully formed heads that still fit inside a helmet. Whereas Dreadnaut, Revolver and presumably Ominus too really form the face and are completely reliant on the helmet to form the rest of the head. But I suppose the upshot is that they do have larger heads.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this toy. I'm usually not the biggest fan of slavish G1 accuracy on CHUG toys but since I don't own a G1 Overlord it actually works out well in my favour. Highly recommended.

P.S.: The chest has two doors which can open up and there are spaces for it that you can plug Titan Masters into in head mode. I tried it this morning and I do NOT recommend that you do this, or if you do then be aware of the risk. The cavities are extremely tight and the Titan Master that I put in there (Apeface) got stuck. It took me about 15 minutes to get it out using miniature screwdrivers. Even TFwiki mentions this issue, so do be very careful. But honestly, unless you want to see a pair of faces sticking out of his chest then I don't really see the need for this feature so... my recommendation is just to leave it. It was a nice idea but doesn't work so well in execution because unlike G1 Powermasters, the cavity doesn't have spring loaded back panels to help push the smaller figures out. And of course it doesn't unlock any gimmicks so again, just a superfluous gimmick.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 14th December 2017 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    P.S.: The chest has two doors which can open up and there are spaces for it that you can plug Titan Masters into in head mode. I tried it this morning and I do NOT recommend that you do this, or if you do then be aware of the risk. The cavities are extremely tight and the Titan Master that I put in there (Apeface) got stuck. It took me about 15 minutes to get it out using miniature screwdrivers. Even TFwiki mentions this issue, so do be very careful. But honestly, unless you want to see a pair of faces sticking out of his chest then I don't really see the need for this feature so... my recommendation is just to leave it. It was a nice idea but doesn't work so well in execution because unlike G1 Powermasters, the cavity doesn't have spring loaded back panels to help push the smaller figures out. And of course it doesn't unlock any gimmicks so again, just a superfluous gimmick.
    Maybe it's because the Tak/Tom version will come with the two different heads to represent the two original Powermaster characters and that's a place to store the extra.

Just a guess - could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    but since I don't own a G1 Overlord it actually works out well in my favour.
    Really? I'm quite surprised considering your rather extensive collection. I must admit he is number one with a bullet on my "I wish I had..." list from G1. Oh well, we can all vainly hope for a reissue one day. In the meantime I just have to wait for HLJ to get my preordered Tak/Tom version of the above toy in.

I never saw Overlord in shops in 1991. He was an ultra rare figures and one of a handful of toys that I just could never find. Other two being Transmetal Megatron and Tigerhawk. I know that these toys did all come out here and other people have found and purchased them, but just never at my local shops. Anyway, my G1 collection is "only" 93% complete and Overlord is part of the 7% that I don't own and will probably never own. But that's okay, I have TR Overlord now.

Comparison between G1 and TR Overlord. (G1 Overlord courtesy of Michael V.).

Just realized that the jet portion looks like a cross between the SR71 Blackbird & the fictional MiG31 Firefox That's what I get from watching random 80's movies
    WANTED BOTS: G1: Horri-bull, Snarler, Mainframe, Chop Shop, Ransack CHUG: Spin Out, Cordon, Brotropolis Rescue MASTERPIECE: Acid Storm
    ENERGON: Six Shot

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    Just realized that the jet portion looks like a cross between the SR71 Blackbird & the fictional MiG31 Firefox That's what I get from watching random 80's movies
    Now that's one hell of an astute observation. Well said CHILENO20.

It makes Sky Shadow look even cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by shockNwave View Post
    It makes Sky Shadow look even cooler.
    Sky Shadow's jet component is an entirely different mould from Overlord's Megajet. Only the Gigatank component is a redeco from Sky Shadow.

Really like this figure, would have to one of my favorites from the Titans Return Line.

A few Pics I took here on Instagram

Alt modes here

Quote Originally Posted by CHILENO20 View Post
    The better looking Firefox being closer to Sky Shadow than the SR71 as shown by Overlord.

Stupid painted pegs....

Stood Rodimus and Thunderwing on the knee pegs for a look, now ones missing and rodimus has a strange green fungus on the sole of his foot!