View Poll Results: BH VOY Shockwave - worth buying?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 52.17%
  • Only if...

6 26.09%
  • Not worth it

1 4.35%
  • I'm not even interested

4 17.39%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Beast Hunters VOY Shockwave

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    The transformation is a bit simple, but what exactly can you do?
    You design the toy first, then let the animators build a cartoon model based off the toy. Overall none of the TF Prime toys are mediocre at best when it comes to engineering and design, which I believe is borne from this whole "show first" approach in an attempt to make to toys more "show accurate." And of course designing Transformers as screen characters is completely counter intuitive to designing them as toys -- you only need to watch the TF Prime Season 1 DVD special features to hear the Hasbro people talk about this (although obviously in a far more diplomatically tactful way ). Transformers Animated suffered from similar problems (though admittedly Leader Megatron turned out to be a really nice toy; but that was more in spite of the design process rather than because of it); and worse still we had several Transformers who made prominent appearances in the show that were never made as toys (Wasp, Omega Supreme (and the inevitable Lugnut Supreme retool ), Constructicons et al.).

TF Prime hasn't been quite so bad -- they're wrapping the show up well ahead of the release of the next TF film which I think is a good move as it will prevent the two lines from potentially "cross competing" with each other's products (which is why the TFA Constructicons were never made; given a choice between them and the ROTF Constructicons the latter won out ). But there are still several characters that don't have toys -- there's no Deluxe Class Smokescreen in his Binaltech Colours (only a Legion Class that is only available through buying a vehicle); and as far as Hasbro's markets are concerned, there was never any Voyager Class Breakdown, Jet Vehicon or Jet Vehicon General (which if Hasbro did decide to release, I'd rather see being called something else like, "Jet Vehicon Armada" or "Jet Vehicon Elite"; they were never portrayed as ranking officers in the show, merely a special flying corps under Starscream's command). The Voyager Breakdown mould exists - I've no idea why Hasbro didn't release it (I still don't know why Hasbro never bothered to release DOTM DLX Leadfoot, Soundwave or Quejack. Don't even start me about poor Dino/Mirage... gah).

For the time being Hasbro seems adamant on continuing on this path of prioritising screen designs over toy designs with any franchise that has a screen presence. For the live action films I can understand it... for cartoons not so much. *sigh* Generations seems increasingly influenced by comic book designs, which actually seems to work. For some reason Transformers designed by comic book artists appear easier to "translate" into toys than those designed by screen animators. Maybe because comic designs don't have to be as "rigorous" as screen designs since you only ever see them in static poses, whereas constructing screen designs is more exacting (especially when rendered in 3D/CGI) since you have to see them in motion. <shrugs>

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    ..and as far as Hasbro's markets are concerned, there was never any Voyager Class Breakdown, Jet Vehicon or Jet Vehicon General (which if Hasbro did decide to release, I'd rather see being called something else like, "Jet Vehicon Armada" or "Jet Vehicon Elite"; they were never portrayed as ranking officers in the show, merely a special flying corps under Starscream's command).
    If it's any consolation, Hasbro are releasing a Jet Vehicon, albeit in Legion class. He'll be available in Wave 4 along with Prowl.

Quote Originally Posted by crankcase76 View Post
    As mainly stated above, I got the Japanese version for the colours as the red hasbro one looks like a KO. And the robot mode is great as he will stay that way in my collection due to the absolutely rubbish alt mode.
    Yep, I did the same and got the Go! Version. The black claws and chest plate might actually be put on him from time to time as some kind of post-apocalyptic scavenger armour, whereas I would have just binned the orange stuff u get with the hasbro version.

Like everyone else has said, great robot - shite alt mode. I mean, we all knew the alt mode wasn't great from watching the cartoon but didn't expect it to be that bad! The arm under the bottom really blows.

Glad I got the Go! Version for the colour scheme, but considering the alt mode still feel like I paid too much.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    You design the toy first, then let the animators build a cartoon model based off the toy. Overall none of the TF Prime toys are mediocre at best when it comes to engineering and design, which I believe is borne from this whole "show first" approach in an attempt to make to toys more "show accurate." And of course designing Transformers as screen characters is completely counter intuitive to designing them as toys -- you only need to watch the TF Prime Season 1 DVD special features to hear the Hasbro people talk about this (although obviously in a far more diplomatically tactful way ). Transformers Animated suffered from similar problems (though admittedly Leader Megatron turned out to be a really nice toy; but that was more in spite of the design process rather than because of it); and worse still we had several Transformers who made prominent appearances in the show that were never made as toys (Wasp, Omega Supreme (and the inevitable Lugnut Supreme retool ), Constructicons et al.).

TF Prime hasn't been quite so bad -- they're wrapping the show up well ahead of the release of the next TF film which I think is a good move as it will prevent the two lines from potentially "cross competing" with each other's products (which is why the TFA Constructicons were never made; given a choice between them and the ROTF Constructicons the latter won out ). But there are still several characters that don't have toys -- there's no Deluxe Class Smokescreen in his Binaltech Colours (only a Legion Class that is only available through buying a vehicle); and as far as Hasbro's markets are concerned, there was never any Voyager Class Breakdown, Jet Vehicon or Jet Vehicon General (which if Hasbro did decide to release, I'd rather see being called something else like, "Jet Vehicon Armada" or "Jet Vehicon Elite"; they were never portrayed as ranking officers in the show, merely a special flying corps under Starscream's command). The Voyager Breakdown mould exists - I've no idea why Hasbro didn't release it (I still don't know why Hasbro never bothered to release DOTM DLX Leadfoot, Soundwave or Quejack. Don't even start me about poor Dino/Mirage... gah).

For the time being Hasbro seems adamant on continuing on this path of prioritising screen designs over toy designs with any franchise that has a screen presence. For the live action films I can understand it... for cartoons not so much. *sigh* Generations seems increasingly influenced by comic book designs, which actually seems to work. For some reason Transformers designed by comic book artists appear easier to "translate" into toys than those designed by screen animators. Maybe because comic designs don't have to be as "rigorous" as screen designs since you only ever see them in static poses, whereas constructing screen designs is more exacting (especially when rendered in 3D/CGI) since you have to see them in motion. <shrugs>
    I think an animation designer (particularly one who knows his designs will end up as toys) ought to be more than capable of designing a figure with transformation in mind. I think this is why comic artist designs appear easier as you say, because they've simply considered the transformation scheme whereas the animation designers do not (for the most part). At the end of the day it comes down to talent across the board.

For instance, G1 Optimus Prime was a toy first and the animators took liberties, then so many years later some excellent toy designers managed to make essentially the same cab look exactly like the animation model.

I've been wondering recently actually, whether Floro Dery had designed all his movie models with transformation in mind, after seeing how exact TT managed to get MP Hot Rod in appearance, from all angles, in both modes! It seems too incredible that the transformation wasn't considered in the original designs IMO. The toy designer then, had the comparatively simple task of just figuring out what Dery had in mind (presumably without talking to him!)

One thing i will say, it must be horrible for the toy designers who are slapped in the face repeatedly with character designs that haven't considered Transformation at all. I know if i was getting inundated with shitty movie designs like The Fallen, i'd just crap out shitty toys in an afternoon as well. I mean, what more can they do!

That said, sometimes i think some excellent toys come from that challenge - for instance 2007 movie Leader Prime, designed without reference, is awesome and still considered by some to have plus points over the later ROTF toy designed after they knew his screen transformation.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    I've been wondering recently actually, whether Floro Dery had designed all his movie models with transformation in mind, after seeing how exact TT managed to get MP Hot Rod in appearance, from all angles, in both modes! It seems too incredible that the transformation wasn't considered in the original designs IMO. The toy designer then, had the comparatively simple task of just figuring out what Dery had in mind (presumably without talking to him!)
    Tricky to call this one, I guess you can see the basic transformation in in a way, but then when the transformation is animated, its just all over the shop. After they get out the fish water, Hot Rod Transforms and his arms do a full 360 during change, but that's the only point where it does. IIRC, when he and daniel are racing to Auto city, his arms just fold in at the sides. Arcee certainly doesn't have a particular transformation design...

I think with perhaps a good enough budget for the toy, you could start at show characters and make them a toy. look at FE Bulkhead and Optimus. Both wonderful toys that would have been designed on the show first.

Hmm, i was under the impression that Dery designed the characters but didn't animate them? If that's the case i would just say the actual animators didn't know the transfomation scheme he had in mind (probably multiple animators leading to the various ways he transforms in the movie/s3)

Anyone else find that this guy's cannon arm works it's way out of that bicep swivel joint every few turns?

Aside from that he's pretty neat looking. As has already been established, his hips are atrociously loose. Probably won't bother ever actually transforming him.

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
    Anyone else find that this guy's cannon arm works it's way out of that bicep swivel joint every few turns?
    Nope, the cannon gimmick can spin all day long on my Hasbro Shockwave. In fact, I have to stop my kid nephew from using the gimmick because, well, he just doesn't know when to stop.

I display mine without the UGLY red claw-thingy armour in bot mode. Looks more respectable.

Mine works just fine too.

My cannon arm does come off just below the shoulder when I spin it for a while. My left leg on my Shockwave is really floppy now. It's hard to get him to stand sometimes.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust